Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lead singer from Kaiser Chiefs.

What an uninspired and boring choice :(

Kyle Minogue to Kaiser? :yawn:

Comments

• BB_RobotBB_Robot Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    So so so bad, he hasn't been relevant for like 6 years?
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think it's as near as they can get to a swap for Danny

He adds a bit of cool IMO even if they've been quiet lately
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    I saw the voice followed him the other day so I did wonder if something was going on, I think Rickys going to be good :)
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's no more relevant than some of the contestants who have been on in the past trying to resurrect a career from the show, the woman from Five Star for example

Still, I expect they blew the budget on Kylie and this guy is doing it for peanuts.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    I agree that he isn't as relevant as Will etc, but the fact is he's very similar to Danny as in had a few hits a few years ago, released since but nothing's got as big as the two biggens
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Kylie isn't relevant these days either.

Most talent show judges aren't.
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kylie's there on the basis of past glories, much the same as Tom Jones really, experience counts I suppose and they'll always get a gig somewhere or other.

Doubt that can be said for Ricky though, he'd struggle just as much as the contestants auditioning.
    Let's be honest the only people who were ever going to do this show now were those who had nothing to lose,
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I love the Kaiser Chiefs and think Ricky is a great choice.

Kaiser Chiefs are a much bigger band than the script IMO.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaiser Chiefs are still going. The fact that they are no longer hitting the charts means nothing.

I like the band and I like him. I'd have preferred James Morrison or someone of that ilk, but Wilson will do :)
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kylie is still very successful and relevant. Consistent chart and live success. This whole not relevant thing is a fallacy, few popstars consistently achieve the album sales and live ticket sales that she does.

Ricky is an interesting choice, his band don't necessarily achieve the chart positions they used to but they are still doing well in their field. He seems like he could be interesting as well, hopefully not as irritating as Danny.
  • Paul_Howard1Paul_Howard1 Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So isn't aswell . Tbh aslong as they make good telly
  • Mel GMel G Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    Judging from Ricky Wilson's appearances on Buzzcocks, his press interviews, and his between-song banter at gigs, I would imagine that he is going to be very entertaining. The Voice has been accused of being a bit earnest/po-faced for a Saturday night show, and this announcement -combined with hiring Emma Willis, who can also be a bit irreverent - looks to me as if the BBC are addressing those criticisms.

The new line-up/presenting team certainly appeals to me more than the original one (Reggie excepted, who was woefully underused and was never really given an opportunity to shine). Really hope the new dynamic works!
  • molo flapianmolo flapian Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another yessssssss! from me.

Fine choice.
  • molo flapianmolo flapian Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel G wrote: »
    Judging from Ricky Wilson's appearances on Buzzcocks, his press interviews, and his between-song banter at gigs, I would imagine that he is going to be very entertaining. The Voice has been accused of being a bit earnest/po-faced for a Saturday night show, and this announcement -combined with hiring Emma Willis, who can also be a bit irreverent - looks to me as if the BBC are addressing those criticisms.

The new line-up/presenting team certainly appeals to me more than the original one (Reggie excepted, who was woefully underused and was never really given an opportunity to shine). Really hope the new dynamic works!

Have to agree with you and I can't believe they didn't grab Reggie and keep him as solo host. drat. For me he's really watchable and one of the best voices out there amongst presenters. Love his voice I do.

But I do like Emma and I'm looking forward to it's return with the new coaches on board. Can't wait tbh:o:cool:
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I wish they would have got someone who does music today. Abit more relevant.
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having reflected on this, I actually think he is a good choice. I didn't realise how many hits his band has had in the past, it's a lot. He's definitely qualified. I didn't know much about him but when I watched some of his interviews, I think he could be quite entertaining actually. I'd say his band is bigger than The Script? I admit I was too quick to judge, it was too early in the morning to feel happy ;) Kylie, Tom, Will and Ricky will work well. Strong line up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    He'll be okay for the judging/mentoring part I think - he's likeable enough and quite funny usually, which helps. But I'm just cringeing thinking about the singing and duets with the contestants he'll have to do - they'll be worse than Will's efforts ;)
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more like the US panel

Kylie - Christina, the big star
    will.i.am - Cee Lo, The big current artist (in 2010/11)
    Ricky - Adam & Blake, Established band though not relevant, Have cult following
    Tom - His own genre, appealing to grannys
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This makes Kylie's decision even worse!

I know Ricky via friends, but I don't like him. Unfortunately he is of the opinion that he's got as high a level of fame & achievement of not just Kylie, but Madonna. Not as "nice" as he looks on TV folks. Beware........ the "don't you know who I am" stories will be out in force soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm a little surprised he has decided to do this, but I think Ricky Wilson is a good choice. I absolutely love the Kaiser Chiefs anyway, and he has a great personality, I think he would be just right for coaching/ mentoring the singers, Although I'm not particularly into Kylie's music, I think she's also a good choice, and a really nice person.

The previous two series I have more or less given up on The Voice, but with no more Jessie J, and with these two instead it will be so much more watchable next year! I think I will be sticking with the whole series this time.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Marguerite wrote: »
    Kylie's there on the basis of past glories, much the same as Tom Jones really, experience counts I suppose and they'll always get a gig somewhere or other.

Doubt that can be said for Ricky though, he'd struggle just as much as the contestants auditioning.
    Let's be honest the only people who were ever going to do this show now were those who had nothing to lose,

It can, The Kaiser Chief's were massive in the mid-noughties, and though no longer chart artists are still going strong now.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ricky Wilson is an inspired choice and definitely edgier than Will Young, but then my nan is edgier than Will Young. :rolleyes: (or she would be if she was still alive)

It's always good to have mentors from different genres and Will and Kylie would have had to much crossover imo whereas Ricky will bring a rock edge to the show and not rock-lite like Danny.

I'm really looking forward to the Voice now. Not sure about Marvin, would have preferred Regy, but I'm willing to give him a chance and from deciding to never watch again halfway through last series, I'll be glued to my tv for new series. Hope I last a bit longer this time, but still don't know how they're going to get over the main barrier to me of losing everyone's favourites before public even has chance to vote.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    EddyEagal wrote: »
    Having reflected on this, I actually think he is a good choice. I didn't realise how many hits his band has had in the past, it's a lot. He's definitely qualified. I didn't know much about him but when I watched some of his interviews, I think he could be quite entertaining actually. I'd say his band is bigger than The Script? I admit I was too quick to judge, it was too early in the morning to feel happy ;) Kylie, Tom, Will and Ricky will work well. Strong line up.

Ricky's a great choice, he's not as poppy and mainstream as this forum would like but to talent show fan tastes or not, he's part of one of the biggest UK rock bands of the last decade, and he's a big personality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky's a great choice, he's not as poppy and mainstream as this forum would like but to talent show fan tastes or not, he's part of one of the biggest UK rock bands of the last decade, and he's a big personality.

Nicely put :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been revealed that Ricky turned down an offer to coach the first series of The Voice. So if he hadn't turned the invite down, we would have never had Danny on the show. Interesting to think that Ricky has been the BBC's first choice for awhile.