Options

Elaine Paige - a pat on the bum used to be flattering

jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/elaine-paige-old-days-man-3553632

I am not too sure how well this go down these days. Elaine seems to believe that some people over-exaggerate things. I guess it may come down to context and if you feel genuinely threatened.

Her comments don't really seem to chime with the prevailing wind these days. But how wrong is she? Is she a person from a different age? Or do we take things far too seriously these days?

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

I am not too sure how well this go down these days. Elaine seems to believe that some people over-exaggerate things. I guess it may come down to context and if you feel genuinely threatened.

Her comments don't really seem to chime with the prevailing wind these days. But how wrong is she? Is she a person from a different age? Or do we take things far too seriously these days?

Yes.

The end.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It depends on the person if someone dislikes it and doesn't want it to happen then yes they should take action but if someone else doesn't mind and may even like it and want it to happen then that is fine to.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    There'll be pitchforks and burning torches outside Elaine's house tonight :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    She defended Jimmy Savile by saying that she knew him so well.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't the luvvies all touchy feely anyway?
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Elaine is prepared for a lot of bum patting that is going to come her way .....:kitty:
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine she's had a few pats on the bum, all through her wild days, her mad existence ;)

I imagine it is is a generational thing, but she also seems to have had the confidence to reject the one occasion she could have found herself in hot water (eg. not getting work for not playing ball). I wonder what she'd be saying now if it had been less easy to reject him. If he'd pushed her down onto that couch and forced her. If the get-away hadn't been so easy, or if she'd been younger, less confident, more desperate even.

Women did put up with that sort of thing, not always because it didn't bother them but because to complain about it may have led to never working again (in her industry, probably in many businesses).

ETA: Didn't Joanna Lumley also talk about the Simon Cowell of their day - wonder if it's the same bloke, wonder who he is!
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she a person from a different age?
    dee123 wrote: »
    Yes.

The end.

... the same age as the recent spate of alleged offences.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    She can smile at the old days. She was beautiful then.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Hehe, "bum". :D
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They love it really :D
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it goes to show how far we've moved as a society in the last few decades.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I believe she actually felt flattered by having her bum patted, especially in professional situations. Sounds like hindsight to me. But who knows?
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    She has a right to her opinion and if she doesn't object to the odd pat on the bum, then the PC obsessives can't force their view on her.

I can stand any group that forces their views on everyone when they haven't bothered asking everyone.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think a lot of what she has said is common sense and how many woman years ago and today would deal with such things

“But in those days if somebody whistled at you or patted your bum you’d just say, ‘Bugger off, don’t be so ridiculous!’ You were flattered by it.

"Whereas today you have lawsuits and God knows what else.

“Don’t get me wrong. Rape and serious matters like that are a different matter.

"If you’re drugged in a club and raped, that’s different. When a lady says ‘no’ that means ‘no’. And men should know that.

“But if someone touches your knee or tries to come on to you, I don’t think that’s sexual harassment.”

Basically she would as would probably most women tell someone to sod off if they touched their bum or made a pass they wouldn't go to the police or sell the story to a newspaper . and she is not comparing any of that to serious harassment or assaults.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »

Ah memories!
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,163
    Forum Member
    If you touch her, you'll understand what happiness is.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she a person from a different age?
    Yes......an era when common sense, normality and fun prevailed.
    Or do we take things far too seriously these days?
    Way too seriously.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it goes to show how far we've moved as a society in the last few decades.

The move that has enabled people to feel able to report assaults and harassment is a very good move, the move that has some people running to a newspaper to sell a story after someone makes a pass at them is not progress to my mind but a sign of a very sad media and readership.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    And still is now at 66 years old. A lovely lady with a wicked sense of humour and the dirtiest 'giggle' i've ever heard, (:D) that comes across on her radio show (listening now on R2).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person who thinks she is being a bit controversial to promote her new project?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    The move that has enabled people to feel able to report assaults and harassment is a very good move, the move that has some people running to a newspaper to sell a story after someone makes a pass at them is not progress to my mind but a sign of a very sad media and readership.

Completely agree with this and your above post as well.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too much loitering on soundless pavements at midnight?:o
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

I agree.

I think the "these things happen" and the tabloid kiss and tell are two extremes that do the middle ground (those that are genuinely abused/ harassed) no favours.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pat on the bum?
    So I guess a squeeze of the breast is ok by Elaine Paige too?