Options

Recycling - helping the environment, or helping the council?

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What's your views on recycling, is it helping the environment or just saving the council some work?

I recycle everything I can, and everything that goes on my box gets properly washed out first. In my brown bin goes paper and cardboard.

Some people moan about having different bins for different waste but personally I don't see the hardship in separating my waste.

What's your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Just a big con for the council to make more money.

If the council cared about the environment, they would train their staff better to pick the litter up that plagues Folkestone on a daily basis.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

If the council cared about the environment, they would train their staff better to pick the litter up that plagues Folkestone on a daily basis.

Cut backs, and lots of councils are thinking about selling off parks, but the good news is looks like the government is bringing back weekly collections on black bins
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helping the council.

We only do it because it means the bin doesn't get as full in the two weeks between it getting emptied. We don't wash the tins and bottle out though.

Some people complain about fortnightly collections, but having had them for a few years now, both the ordinary and recycling bins (both garden and recycling) are like this here.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds cynical but Local Authorities have re-cycling targets and directives to meet, otherwise they face financial penalties.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find there is a landfill charge per tonne that Councils are opposed to !
    http://www.localgov.co.uk/Councils-urge-Government-to-freeze-landfill-tax/35791
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    It sounds cynical but Local Authorities have re-cycling targets and directives to meet, otherwise they face financial penalties.

And if the mafia had dreamed this stuff up,they would have never bothered with murder,racketeering and prostitution.

Here's what you need to know

15 - 20 years ago,the council tax was a hell of a lot cheaper and they sorted out the rubbish themselves.
    After you sort it out for them,they also often sell what's been recycled and make serious money from it.
    In theory the rubbish collection part of council tax should be cheaper than ever.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    but the good news is looks like the government is bringing back weekly collections on black bins

If you mean landfill/non-recyclable waste bins, my council have collected them weekly for as long as I can remember.

All the waste goes to the same place apparently and the council sort it further, especially as most green (recycle) bins contains rubbish which shouldn't in there, but is covered up by allowed materials.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um, whilst they do have targets to meet, I'd hardly say recycling is 'helping the council'.

It certainly doesn't help my council anyway. I think everybody - residents and council staff would rather it if things were simpler but ultimately, why shouldn't we recycle?

I don't understand the disdain for sustainability. If I throw away a bit of paper into the bin it's resources are gone forever - whereas if I put it in the paper recycling bin, a lot of it - if not all will be usable again. It should make you feel good :)

Surely people don't like creating wastage? Or maybe some just simply don't give a shit about the planet - and therefore future generations?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    What's your views on recycling, is it helping the environment or just saving the council some work?
    I'm not sure it matters. Either would be a good thing.
    mickmars wrote: »
    15 - 20 years ago,the council tax was a hell of a lot cheaper and they sorted out the rubbish themselves.
    15 to 20 years ago most things were a lot cheaper. And I don't think councils did any kind of sorting - they just sent everything to landfill or the incinerator.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    I would like to think that council controlled recycling is genuine - but I do have doubts that there is a certain amount of deceit going. ie ticking boxes to meet EU regulations to avoid heavy fines. With reports that some councils continue to tip our carefully separated waste into the one truck or container It would be reassuring if one of the news media would shadow and follow through the final destinations of our recycling efforts and report on whether or not our councils are playing fair with us.

• Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    my council is generally good at recycling but i live in flats and we don't get given boxes for some reason
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    A lot of our recycling is sent to China, India, Indonesia where there's no way of knowing if it's recycled or but in landfill.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why we haven't invested in in better equipment so that we can abandon household recycling and go back to single stream collections like the US. The technology now exists to separate different metals, different kinds of paper and plastic containers. Instead we seem to be getting more bins.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My council recently gave everyone 5 bins for putting different recycling waste in and we got a letter telling us what has to go into each bin and to make sure we don't accidentally put the wrong thing in the wrong bin otherwise we could get fined.

Once a fortnight they drive around with a bin lorry and chuck all of the carefully sorted rubbish into the back mixing it all together.>:(
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's wrong with the council making money? it doesn't go into someones pocket but back into public funds to help pay for all the services which they provide.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    What's wrong with the council making money? it doesn't go into someones pocket but back into public funds to help pay for all the services which they provide.

Really ?
    You do surprise me.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »

It annoys me when they waste our council tax on vanity projects such as the vile Step Short Arch in Folkestone.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member

The money contributes to total council income so therefore plays a part in keeping council taxes down, as well as helping them to meet EU & central govt targets on recycling & landfill. It also means that on the larger scale there's a smaller drag on the earth's resources, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Instead of training staff to pick up litter, they'd be more effective if they issued litter wardens with rifles and instructions to shoot to kill anyone spotted dropping litter. Win win - the litter problem quickly disappears, along with the sort of scum who find it acceptable to drop litter.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    I would like to think that council controlled recycling is genuine - but I do have doubts that there is a certain amount of deceit going. ie ticking boxes to meet EU regulations to avoid heavy fines. With reports that some councils continue to tip our carefully separated waste into the one truck or container It would be reassuring if one of the news media would shadow and follow through the final destinations of our recycling efforts and report on whether or not our councils are playing fair with us.

This is how I feel too, I mainly trust that they're doing the 'right' thing and actually recycling the items we bother to put in the recycling bins/bags. I would be very unimpressed if I found out it was all just being dumped in the landfill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reality recycling saves the council tax payer a lot of money, without it council collection vehicles would be roaming the country looking for official sites & would be paying astronomical fees per load dumped
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The local council does offer a collection service which they charge £22 for 2 bulky items & you have to leave the item outside of the morning that they come to collect it, but they can do one for that amount, and so a friend kindly drove me to the local recycling center earlier & helped me ditch an old broken TV and a old bed base, it seemed strange to see them get smashed to pieces but it needed doing.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does money immorally gained become moral if it's used for "good purposes?

No, of course not. So the idea that anything that can reduce council tax bills is inherently right and proper is clearly incorrect.

Is it immoral to have people do the work of councils... I think it probably is. People are clearly required to do work for their council, failure to do this work incurs "sanctions". Doing work that is beyond that which is absolutely necessary for the council to collect the rubbish.

Doing work that does not take into account personal circumstances and health matters.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Is it immoral to have people do the work of councils... I think it probably is.
    What a strange thing to suggest. If you're a resident it is perfectly reasonable to help keep your area clean and tidy and well maintained. Just because the council is the official designated authority to do that doesn't in any way mean that you shouldn't. I tend to think that the world might be a better place if there was a kind of 'national service' that required everyone to put in one day's work for the council for free every year.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Household waste recycling is really just a token effort, it represents less than 10% of the waste generated in the UK.

Commercial and industrial waste, which constitutes the vast majority of our waste, is not sorted at source but is mechanically sorted and subsequently recycled at large scale waste treatment facilities operated by the likes of Biffa and Veolia.

And the idea of councils having to pay a landfill tax that goes straight back to central government, the same government that grants local councils 75% of its budget, is just plain silly.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »

I recycle everything I can, and everything that goes on my box gets properly washed out first. In my brown bin goes paper and cardboard.

Some people moan about having different bins for different waste but personally I don't see the hardship in separating my waste.

What's your opinion?

I recycle everything I can. But I see no point in washing everything first.