Options

Thursday 10th July National Strike thread

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good to see predictions of millions of workers turning out for the strike on Thursday to stand up for a better deal which will benefit the whole economy.

I think the public sector has performed really well since the austerity drive started; I believe that everyone could see the reason why there needed to be some efficiencies here and there.

However, growing poverty is the biggest sign that public sector workers are being used as austerity whipping boys, despite providing vital services to children, the disabled, elderly and infirm. While being told how necessary it is, they see tax breaks for the rich and a wealthy political elite and their friends splashed across the newspapers sipping on champagne and living the high life.

I hope something comes of this action, and I truly believe that the majority of the country will be behind the strike, especially as success in negotiations will have a knock-on effect of boosting the private sector and self-employed too. Everyone wins.

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you better take an umbrella ;-)

Thursday, July 10th, 2014

Thursday Morning Temperature: 14°C
    A mix of cloud and sun with a chance of showers. Windy at times.

Thursday Afternoon Temperature: 16°C
    Cloudy with a few showers. 6 to 11 mm of rain. Windy at times.

Thursday Evening Temperature: 14°C
    Cloudy with a few showers. 4 to 8 mm of rain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see predictions of millions of workers turning out for the strike on Thursday to stand up for a better deal which will benefit the whole economy.

I think the public sector has performed really well since the austerity drive started; I believe that everyone could see the reason why there needed to be some efficiencies here and there.

However, growing poverty is the biggest sign that public sector workers are being used as austerity whipping boys, despite providing vital services to children, the disabled, elderly and infirm. While being told how necessary it is, they see tax breaks for the rich and a wealthy political elite and their friends splashed across the newspapers sipping on champagne and living the high life.

I hope something comes of this action, and I truly believe that the majority of the country will be behind the strike, especially as success in negotiations will have a knock-on effect of boosting the private sector and self-employed too. Everyone wins.

I would like to see far greater recognition of unions and what they really stand up for. The media and right wing governments have, for too long, portrayed them as 'the enemy'. They are only the enemy of the few, they stand up for the majority.

Just shows how media propaganda works on the public, from benefits to house prices. War to public services, the media portray it in a way that suits the few with blame being laid at the feet of the many. We need a decent media before we get some real debate about issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt much of the media will be focussing on the inconvenience to parents, and hard working people, regardless of the fact that the people going on strike are hardworking people, and many will be parents too.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

.. Everyone wins.

I think it's good to see so many people willing to give up a day's pay - every little helps. Now if they'd just agree to slashing those fat pensions ...then everyone else wins

:D
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my granddaughters primary school the teachers are not on strike but the dinner ladies are, so the school will be open as normal but the children will be given a packed lunch instead of a dinner.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    No doubt much of the media will be focussing on the inconvenience to parents, and hard working people, regardless of the fact that the people going on strike are hardworking people, and many will be parents too.

Isn't that the point of a strike though? To be inconvenient. If the effect was ignored then it would seem like the strike accomplished nothing. If you focus entirely on the strikers and not at all on those effected, it looks like business as usual and things run fine without those on strike therefore what purpose do those on strike actually serve if they went back to work?
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh goody. At least the roads will be nice and quiet.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

There is a national strike tomorrow - have not heard anything

Any 'national' strike will not have anything like the effect of the strike of 1926 given the number of people working and the proportion that are in a union.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a national strike tomorrow - have not heard anything

Any 'national' strike will not have anything like the effect of the strike of 1926 given the number of people working and the proportion that are in a union.

Maybe the Tory supporting national media have been 'requested' by the Government not to publicise the strike.

We will have to wait and see how much (if any) publicity the strike gets tomorrow
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Maybe the Tory supporting national media have been 'requested' by the Government not to publicise the strike.

I also read the Guardian - which is not traditionally right wing. Although having said that the Guardian did have this report quotes 1m workers, which is not the same as millions. It also talking about just public sector workers.

1m is roughly 3.34% of the workforce
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its tough for public sector workers but that deficit is not going to fix itself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its tough for public sector workers but that deficit is not going to fix itself.

Indeed, it appears to be going up according to the last two months spending figures.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    At my granddaughters primary school the teachers are not on strike but the dinner ladies are, so the school will be open as normal but the children will be given a packed lunch instead of a dinner.

What will happen to the dinner ladies if the children decide they prefer the packed lunches?
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Indeed, it appears to be going up according to the last two months spending figures.

Bound too, those net 212,000 new arrivals this year all need to be looked after.

Need to shed more public sector jobs to compensate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    What will happen to the dinner ladies if the children decide they prefer the packed lunches?

I doubt every child in the school will decide they prefer a packed lunch, if they did/do then parents would be sending their children to school with a packed lunch instead of paying dinner money.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    angarrack wrote: »

Not alot, but the government will have wasted million more pounds fitting all these new kitchens into schools that should be ready by september, but thousands will not be, just another mess of this government
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Is there?

Oh. OK.

Have a nice day those that are involved.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    National strike, somewhat ott.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fewer cars on the road tomorrow will make my commute much easier. The other benefit is that the public purse will save some money :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »
    Fewer cars on the road tomorrow will make my commute much easier. The other benefit is that the public purse will save some money :-)

Well sorry to say but they cannot keep taking pay cuts., for years at a time
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well sorry to say but they cannot keep taking pay cuts., for years at a time

What well can be done?

Cut number in the Public Sector and everyone goes out on strike.

Freeze or introduce lower pay rises and everyone goes out on strike.

It is a case of whichever way a Government turns people go out on strike.

Supporters are happy to see a number of non jobs exist and above inflation pay rises as long as it keeps their friends in the public sector happy.

They also think their is an unlimited pot of money in which to fund public services.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »

Unless of course a few dozen idiots break a window or knock a coppers hat off, then the media and the usual subjects on this forum will totally ignore the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who didn't break any laws, as well as their reasons for the strike,
    and will as ever, gleefully leap on the behaviour of a tiny minority and use them as "proof" that all trades unionists, and people who don't fall in line and agree without question with what this government tells them to agree with, are just a bunch of lawless thugs who deserve no consideration or rights,

Not like "us decent people"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    What well can be done?

Cut number in the Public Sector and everyone goes out on strike.

Freeze or introduce lower pay rises and everyone goes out on strike.

It is a case of whichever way a Government turns people go out on strike.

Supporters are happy to see a number of non jobs exist and above inflation pay rises as long as it keeps their friends in the public sector happy.

They also think their is an unlimited pot of money in which to fund public services.
    Workers, who are taking part in strike, and they have already been told no pay rises above 1% till after 2018, and this started in 2012 so expected to have no real pay increase for 6 years, i wonder if we are going to see no prices increases for 6 years, Those expected to take part in Thursday's action include:

Firefighters who are involved in a row over pensions and retirement age
    The Public and Commercial Services Union - which represents civil servants, passport office workers and other public sector staff - in a dispute over pay, cuts to jobs, pensions and the privatisation of services
    Unison which represents, among others, workers in local government, healthcare, colleges and schools and the GMB representing, among others, workers who serve school meals, clean streets, empty bins, carers and school support workers, in a row over this year's pay offer
    Unite members - including local government staff, council workers and teaching staff - who also dismissed the "insulting" pay offer
    The National Union of Teachers which says teachers are "under attack" from the government on pay, pensions, workload pressure and conditions
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Power to the people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will any academy schools be closed because of the strike ?