Classic Chart Show Showing On The Vault 356

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to let you know, someone emailed Matt at The Vault about Saturday, and the reason they showed the 1992 special was because of a problem with the tape of the episodes they were going to show. What's bad is the email contained this:
    to be honest it's not really performed well enough to justify keeping it on air but I will stick with it for a little while longer at least

so it's worrying that they might take the repeats off full stop- and they're certainly not going to transfer the 86-90 and 93-96 episodes. I think what they really need is a showing during the week at some point in the 8-11PM time bracket- I think they'd get a fair amount of viewers during this time that are unable to catch the other 3 showings for various reasons (work, kids etc...). Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons aren't really the best slots for many people.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday mornings is a stupid timeslot, it should take a look at Nick Jr and put it on around 9pm in the week. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Did this programme have anything to do with the chart show.
    http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/414390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've done it AGAIN! :mad: This is the one that was on 2 weeks ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed it so it's new to me. :D
  • 7 Network7 Network Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else have the Thursday repeat in their SKY+, only for it to disappear?
    Forum Member
    Ahh what 11th May 1991 episode shown again. This is getting to become a disaster.
  • 'Sky Chart Show'Sky Chart Show Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    If The Chart Show was on Sky One in the mid-90s, what happened?
    Forum Member
    'Sky wrote:

Chart Show On Sky One I Can't Remember that.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got a reply back from Matt- human error it seems was the cause of the repeat this week (I'd guess if it was intentional they'd at least have picked one we hadn't seen for a while- not one from 2 weeks earlier).
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,705
    Forum Member
    Would somebody mind pming me the e-mail address of matt at the vault.

Cheers

Greg
  • DJFairborne77DJFairborne77 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    'Sky wrote:

The Chart Show was shown on ITV, from 1989 - 1998 IIRC. It originally started on Channel 4 in 1986. As far as I know, it was never shown on Sky One, but as I've only had Sky since 1996, maybe it was shown on there at some stage before then?
    Forum Member
    I emailed Matt at The Vault and he said "It's a very real possibility that Chart Show repeats will stop soon , so enjoy them whilst they are still there…"

So it's looks quite grim at the minute so keep watching the chart show so we get the amount viewers to keep it running.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worrying, but the fact is, there's nothing we can do. We're already watching them. We can only hope more people do. And, personally, I think that should be done by putting the repeats into a more accessible slot- as I've said before, a late night weekday slot (some time around 8-11PM) would be the best option. Quite simply, a lot of people aren't around on weekend mornings or weekday afternoons, and if they have kids they'll likely have control of the TV at those times.
  • 7 Network7 Network Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the repeats have had virtually no advertising, it is a surprise they have lasted so long.

Does anyone know the target share for the channel, and the share the programme gets in the respective 3 timeslots per week?

Oh well if it all finishes, at least I will have my several years worth of old VHS editions to wallow in!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different episode today, but it's yet another repeat- October 12th 1991, which was first shown back in February. Looks to me like they're probably eeking out what's left of the run with repeats. What few viewers they do have left aren't going to keep watching if it's going to be like this. I'll keep my eye out on Saturday and hope for a new episode.
  • cafe80scafe80s Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Different episode today, but it's yet another repeat- October 12th 1991, which was first shown back in February. Looks to me like they're eeking out what's left of the run with repeats. What few viewers they do have left aren't going to keep watching if it's going to be like this.

It probably takes quite a bit of work preparing the old episodes for re-transmission (re-editing etc) and since the viewing figures are disappointing you can understand their enthusiam starting to wain.

I personally missed the first few months of the Vault re-runs so I'm not complaining YET as this gives me another chance to see them.

All I can suggest is that we keep spreading the word to create interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cafe80s wrote: »
    It probably takes quite a bit of work preparing the old episodes for re-transmission (re-editing etc) and since the viewing figures are disappointing you can understand their enthusiam starting to wain.

I can understand that, but it is unfortunate (and annoying) as it is something I have enjoyed watching. As has been said, the timeslots and the lack of promotion have probably contributed to the poor viewing figures. I guess they could do something about the timeslots (as I've said- a weekday slot between 8-11PM would be best), but obviously promotion takes time & money I guess they wouldn't be prepared to put into something that's underperforming (The promotions they did show at the start of the run were shown infrequently, so would have been missed by many people anyway. Maybe they should stick it in the corner of the screen instead of "Text in to meet some C-list celeb", might pick up a fair bit of awareness, and couldn't hurt).

I know Matt reads this thread (as he mentioned it in the email he sent me- only he confused me with Jimbruv82!) so maybe we could stick some suggestions in here.

I really don't want the repeats to stop. It's not just seeing the old episodes, but they also play plenty of songs that would never be played on The Vault's (or indeed pretty much any music channel's) playlist. I've heard plenty of songs I've either never heard before or haven't heard for years.
    Forum Member
    When I emailed Matt he also said that he has shown episodes we have already seen because something was wrong with the tape. He says he dosn't want to say too much just in case he jinx's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbruv82 wrote: »
    When I emailed Matt he also said that he has shown episodes we have already seen because something was wrong with the tape. He says he dosn't want to say too much just in case he jinx's it.

That was only the case with the episode they were supposed to show a couple of weeks ago (when they repeated the 1992 Special).
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still watch the old Chart Shows on Vault but I'm beginning to feel that unless Vault do invest in promoting the show and can move outside of the few years they stick to then the programme will just lose more viewers.

It's a catch 22 situation - the fewer viewers they get the less they will try to get the necessary equipment to show other years...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I still watch the old Chart Shows on Vault but I'm beginning to feel that unless Vault do invest in promoting the show and can move outside of the few years they stick to then the programme will just lose more viewers.

It's a catch 22 situation - the fewer viewers they get the less they will try to get the necessary equipment to show other years...

Well, it's true, if they were able to show episodes all the way from 1986-1998 and ran a decent promotional campaign they'd probably have more than enough viewers to keep it on air. But they wouldn't pay to have the episodes transferred or run promotions UNLESS there was a decent amount of viewers. Obviously, this sort of thing is true anywhere in big business unfortunatly.

Part of the problem is lack of promotion. Prior to launch, the trailer they ran was only shown once every 2 hours which would be quite easy to miss (it also made no mention of the 5PM Thursday showing), and the trailers they ran for individual episodes (the 1998 Valentines episode and the 1997 Special) were shown so infrequently I only saw them a handful of times- and I have The Vault running in the background most of the day.

They should do a "make or break" thing- run a decent promotional campaign (trailers 2 or 3 times an hour- possibly run them on the other Chart Show owned channels too), introduce a showing during the 9-11PM timeslot on one weekday (possibly move the Thursday showing) and see what happens- if it works, it works. If it doesn't, they'll (sadly) have to take them off.

OR at least, shove it into the doldrums- somewhere around 3-4AM. If The Vault is like most other channels (I don't know, I've never actually watched them at this time) they won't be running adverts, therefore viewing figures aren't really as important, and they could at least keep them running for us who enjoy them, where we could record them to watch later. That is if it would be considered cost effective to transfer & edit the episodes just to shove them in such a timeslot- which it might not be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew- not another repeat :).

Date to come.

Edit: Looks like October 12th 1996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell, Marijne Van Der Vlukt (or however you spell it) from MTV. :eek: :D
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the top 10 today takes me back, some good songs in there - shame Boyzone had to spoil it all by being #1!