Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »

James Corden - Very unprofessional. Playing games on his phone while they were trying to go for a take. Talking on set while others were filming. All in all, a very selfish actor.

Why does that not surprise me at all about Corden? I just cannot stand the sight of him, he always seems so in love with himself and comes across as so smug & arrogant, yet his acting leaves so, so much to be desired...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Apparently, even when Dolly Parton was rehearsing, she would have nothing to do with the people who were there to help her, technicians etc.,My bro-in-law was one of the crew and usually the star buys the crew a drink as a thankyou or invites them to the last night party. However, she did neither and would walk straight past the crew members and refused to speak to any of them.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently, even when Dolly Parton was rehearsing, she would have nothing to do with the people who were there to help her, technicians etc.,My bro-in-law was one of the crew and usually the star buys the crew a drink as a thankyou or invites them to the last night party. However, she did neither and would walk straight past the crew members and refused to speak to any of them.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :) She doesn't come across like that at all, so it would be disappointing if she did act like that. Although perhaps she was having a bad day? You don't say how long ago this was, or if your brother in law only encountered her for one night of a tour etc. Also, when you say she refused to speak to them, do you mean she totally ignored them when they tried to talk to her? Or just that she didn't initiate conversation?

Sorry for all the questions- I absolutely love Dolly, so I'm just interested to hear any accounts of people meeting her, since there seem to be hardly any online :D (and the ones which are online seem to be from people who encountered her at meet and greets, which is obviously very different from meeting her behind the scenes.)
  • MiHMiH Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked on the final Gavin and Stacey series:

Ruth Jones - Lovely woman. She was quite stressed, being in front and behind the camera. James Corden really wasn't pulling his weight and it seemed she needed his help behind the camera but he was too busy arsing around.

James Corden - Very unprofessional. Playing games on his phone while they were trying to go for a take. Talking on set while others were filming. All in all, a very selfish actor.

Mat Horne - Very quiet but I had a nice 1-on-1 chat with him. He isn't as confident as you would believe.

Joanna Page - very distant, cold and not at all the ditzy character you might expect.

Rob Brydon - I was most excited about meeting him and he didn't disappoint. A real gent who had time for everybody! Lots of funny stories and a very generous actor.

Everything I've ever seen about Mat Horne says that he's incredibly quiet and shy, but lovely. A very unlikely celeb really.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked on the final Gavin and Stacey series:

Ruth Jones - Lovely woman. She was quite stressed, being in front and behind the camera. James Corden really wasn't pulling his weight and it seemed she needed his help behind the camera but he was too busy arsing around.

Mat Horne - Very quiet but I had a nice 1-on-1 chat with him. He isn't as confident as you would believe.

Joanna Page - very distant, cold and not at all the ditzy character you might expect.

Rob Brydon - I was most excited about meeting him and he didn't disappoint. A real gent who had time for everybody! Lots of funny stories and a very generous actor.

I'm really surprised at that - Joanna Page always comes across so well.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did read on here before he was exposed as a sex offender that Rolf Harris wasn't very pleasant off screen and once swore at someone who asked for his autograph.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Alex Norton, who used to be in Taggart, at the old STV studios and he was a real gentleman and was pleased when I told him he was as good as Mark Mc Manus. Actually Mc Manus was always very civil to fans and was never affected by fame. I did hear, though, that Blythe Duff can be a bit off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two people I met who I was not initially a fan of, because they came across as grumpy and miserable on TV are Adrian Chiles and Jack Dee.

Both of them are actually incredibly pleasant and friendly. Very very nice people. Adrian was very chatty and talked a lot. I was pleasantly surprised!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Steven Mulhern from all accounts is a prized idiot. Years ago, whilst staying at the Hilton hotel, down the road from the Maidstone studios he refused to sign an autograph for my brother-in-law on behalf of my girlfriend. Then in Canterbury the other year, after leaving a pantomime, my Mum said to my disabled sister, "look love it's the man from BGT", to which he sneered and walked away.

I saw him myself as a kid in pantomime one year and grew up thinking he was as friendly as the screen persona may imply.

Disappointed to hear this.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birmingham Northfield Labour Mp Steve McCabe walked past me yesterday in Bull Street.

I just happened to look up. I thought 'I know that face?'
  • Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Rupert Grint at a Comic like convention thing when I was 15 in Glasgow. He was super nice! Not only did he let us take a photo with him but also recorded a video message for my mum lol!

Robert Englund was also there and he was nice to chat too and pulled funny faces at our Scottish accents (but in a friendly manner) but the only downside to him was he said "We have to charge £10 for a photo" and at the time we were only 15 so we were like "ehhh no sorry" lol!!

Met Jade Thirlwall from Little Mix outside the Auditorium when they were here for their DNA tour last year. She was LOVELY. She even said to my friend "Your hair is gorgeous and you have the same phone as me" and she seemed genuinely excited by meeting fans and spoke to everyone and took a photo with everyone.

My mum and her friend met Robbie Williams in 2011 at Hampden Park and said he was such a nice bloke.

She was also lucky enough to meet Kimberley Walsh at a charity event last month and she said she was super nice. Apparently her PA (or whoever was with her) was saying to people not to come near her as she was pregnant but apparently Kimberley was walking right up to people not even giving a shit lol! PA is way too dramatic and clearly Kim knew that haha!

That's all I can think of :\ but all good lol :)
  • philphilistinephilphilistine Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Philip Oakey (The Human League) - top bloke.

Ray Park (Darth Maul, "Toad" in X-Men) - a bit in love with himself.

Dave Prowse - absolute gentleman.

Nick Hancock - tosser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Rupert Grint at a Comic like convention thing when I was 15 in Glasgow. He was super nice! Not only did he let us take a photo with him but also recorded a video message for my mum lol!

Robert Englund was also there and he was nice to chat too and pulled funny faces at our Scottish accents (but in a friendly manner) but the only downside to him was he said "We have to charge £10 for a photo" and at the time we were only 15 so we were like "ehhh no sorry" lol!!

Met Jade Thirlwall from Little Mix outside the Auditorium when they were here for their DNA tour last year. She was LOVELY. She even said to my friend "Your hair is gorgeous and you have the same phone as me" and she seemed genuinely excited by meeting fans and spoke to everyone and took a photo with everyone.

My mum and her friend met Robbie Williams in 2011 at Hampden Park and said he was such a nice bloke.

She was also lucky enough to meet Kimberley Walsh at a charity event last month and she said she was super nice. Apparently her PA (or whoever was with her) was saying to people not to come near her as she was pregnant but apparently Kimberley was walking right up to people not even giving a shit lol! PA is way too dramatic and clearly Kim knew that haha!

That's all I can think of :\ but all good lol :)

PA's seem to go over the top.

Re Kim's pregnancy, anything could've happened at any time, at any location!

What happened to Kim's sister Sally, who appeared in Emmerdale years ago?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nick Hancock - tosser.

There was, a few years ago, a football match involving Stoke & Wolverhampton & Hancock took exception to a comment from Daz Hale at Bbc Wm and rang in, I seem to recall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear about Dolly Parton being rude to the road crew, as I know the owner of her online fan club and he says she is totally devoted to her fans and will always talk to them.
  • BarrymorefanBarrymorefan Posts: 66
    Forum Member

Nick Hancock - tosser.
    Just wondering what the story is about Hancock? Always quite liked him.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my son's Y6 Prom last night and I noticed a fit bloke at the golf club where the Prom was held. It was only after some of the Y6 mums started to swoon and take off into the bar with their cameras that I found out it was Dwight Yorke! Lovely man, and very patient, happily posed for photos with some of the Y6 children and their parents!
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering what the story is about Hancock? Always quite liked him.

I saw Nick Hancock filming a show. When the cameras were off he was just STILL not connecting with the audience or guest at all, just waited for cameras to come back on. His guest was friendly & engaging. It was Bob Monkhouse, much nicer than his slimy reputation
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I saw Nick Hancock filming a show. When the cameras were off he was just STILL not connecting with the audience or guest at all, just waited for cameras to come back on. His guest was friendly & engaging. It was Bob Monkhouse, much nicer than his slimy reputation

I've never once heard of him being "slimy" in person.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

There was a really good documentary about Mr Monkhouse on BBC4 a few years ago and I was amazed at how different he seemed compared to his smarmy showbiz personality. It showed how he had meticulously recorded hundreds of TV and radio shows and had even made notes about and it made him seem more like an "anorak" than a popular TV host.

It also showed how he was a brilliant stand up comic who had a bible of jokes about every subject under the sun.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a really good documentary about Mr Monkhouse on BBC4 a few years ago and I was amazed at how different he seemed compared to his smarmy showbiz personality. It showed how he had meticulously recorded hundreds of TV and radio shows and had even made notes about and it made him seem more like an "anorak" than a popular TV host.

It also showed how he was a brilliant stand up comic who had a bible of jokes about every subject under the sun.

I saw that. The man was a TV and comedy encyclopedia.
    Didn't he also have archived material that was otherwise lost, destroyed or otherwise missing?
    Because of his diligence in recording, much was preserved and recovered.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I saw that. The man was a TV and comedy encyclopedia.
    Didn't he also have archived material that was otherwise lost, destroyed or otherwise missing?
    Because of his diligence in recording, much was preserved and recovered.

I saw it as well ;-)

I believe Lenny Henry only saw himself in his first tv appearances on an episode of Opportunity Knocks or New Faces that had been deleted but Bob had taped and saved that very episode
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I did read on here before he was exposed as a sex offender that Rolf Harris wasn't very pleasant off screen and once swore at someone who asked for his autograph.

An Australian journalist says he approached him at a party as well a few years ago and told him he was a huge fan but says that Harris was rude and dismissive, so it seems he was a bit of a fraud as well as everything else.
  • STEWPOT01STEWPOT01 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I met Les Dawson when I was 14, he was a lovely man. I wanted his autograph and he neither of us had a pen so he asked me to go back to the theater the next evening, go to the stage door and wait inside for him to arrive. He turned up and spent about 30mins talking to my mum and myself, he gave a signed photo and also got me the programme signed by the other artists. He was a true gent.
    I also met Olivia Newton-John around the same time, she was gorgeous

The only rude celebrity I met was Dickie Henderson - he appeared to be drunk (Which I read in later years he was most of the time) and just shoved children out of the way while cursing under his breath.
  • kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my son's Y6 Prom last night and I noticed a fit bloke at the golf club where the Prom was held. It was only after some of the Y6 mums started to swoon and take off into the bar with their cameras that I found out it was Dwight Yorke! Lovely man, and very patient, happily posed for photos with some of the Y6 children and their parents!

Just a shame he doesn't appear to be with his own child much!