Options

Linux Live CD problems.

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
Forum Member
✭✭
Lately, when trying out various Linux distributions from a Live DC/DVD or a USB drive I get either a blank screen, a bar of distorted graphics or, when it actually runs, a usable screen but noticeably flattened, as though the aspect ratio is wrong.
This wasn't a problem until the nouveau driver came into use. Installing the nVidia drivers doesn't seem to help.
On most attempts I can't install the drivers until I install Linux and I can't install Linux until I install the drivers. Result: nothing.
Is there a way to break this vicious circle?

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably have to use the text mode installer and mess around from there

Some graphic card chipsets are pretty badly supported, meaning it can be a text editor session to edit the required config files required etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yikes. I remember doing it last time I did a clean install of Mint but I don't remember how or what I did.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently had to use my spare laptop with my Live Ubuntu USB Flash drive (made on main laptop)

I got the normal desktop and sidebar, but everything text was ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯

I have no idea why and was unable to change any settings because I couldn't see what they were.

Firefox text was OK for pages, but not menu or options either.

I gave up and restored my main laptop from its problems.

(just had a thought: My Ubuntu may be an AMD download and my spare laptop is Intel Core2Duo, could that be it?)

Difficult to Google on ▯▯▯
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you able to insert the boot parameter:-
    nouveau.noaccel=1
    ?
    Often this helps.
    With Puppy we can use another driver such as the old nv or vesa or modesetting by booting into command-prompt mode and running xorg wizard to try these different drivers. I would expect the nvidia driver to resolve things if you could install it but it conflicts with nouveau so you have to disable and blacklist the nouveau driver anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Oscar. I had a Google and I see what you are on about.

This is what I see on Spare Laptop http://postimg.org/image/5pjpfey7r/
    I opened Terminal and typed blind to get gedit to open /etc/default/grub

But can't see to edit or save the file, prior to a blind update-grub.

Then I found the Advanced Boot screen and stuck a nouveau.noaccel=1 at the end of the boot configuration line. But no joy.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Don't worry about it and thanks for help.

I'll just make another Live USB for now, I think, on the host machine.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Robin,
    The boot parameter thing was aimed more at the OP who mentioned the nouveau graphics driver but I think it is useful general information. Looking at the pic you posted your problem looks more like a system font issue or something. Have a look for the font files themselves and also the config files which set up the system fonts. The fonts within the browser tab are working because they are separate and set from within the browser itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe anyone thought this nouveau driver was a good idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta anyway. Sorry for crossed purposes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all for the advice. I'll bear it in mind for the next full installation.:):o