Options

How many bands are still going without any original members?

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
In view of the Sugababes still going without any original members are there any other bands who are doing the same.

Thin Lizzy are still doing the Rock Circuit but for me thats a insult to the name.

Brotherhood of man started with a different line up but only had one Hit before the new one took over and had many more hits.

are there any more and were they sucsessful?

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Purple and The Moody Blues only have one original member left, although they both have three from their greatest eras, so their ongoing excellence is to be expected.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oasis have only 1 original left too, as do Hawkwind.
  • Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do lynard skynard (prob spelt wrong)

on the works laptop and far too slow to google it.

late edit : calling girl groups that just prance about on a stage with just a mic calling them a band is laughable.

I just dont get why they are called a band.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy are still doing the Rock Circuit but for me thats a insult to the name.

Scott Gorham has been there for a very long time.
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Purple and The Moody Blues only have one original member left, although they both have three from their greatest eras, so their ongoing excellence is to be expected.

The Moody Blues still comprise of Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Graeme Edge!! They have just complete a USA tour and are still kicking ass some 40 years later!!!:D:D:D
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    2 Unlimited reformed with two different members.
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molly hatchet are still on the go with no originals and are better.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I'm sure The Pussycat Dolls started with members that are not in the current line up.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure The Pussycat Dolls started with members that are not in the current line up.

Wasn't Lady GaGa an original Doll, or they were part of her act in New York or something? I can never remember haha.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    There are plenty of bands Evanescence, They only have one original member, Status Quo for a time I think.

Napalm Death, Juda Priest only have one member left from the original line up. The Pipettes, I think The Temptations, Thin Lizzy.

There's probably more.

Lynard Skynryd's only constant is Johnny I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread says WITHOUT ANY.

Not WITH ONE ORIGINAL MEMBER.
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that Jefferson Airplane have/had no original members.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Ok, chill I listed some bands without.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cinderelly wrote: »
    , Status Quo for a time I think.

Not really as although Rick Parfitt wasnt in the original band formed by Francis Rossi in 1962 He joined in 1967 when the band were called Traffic Jam. When the band changed its name to Status Quo He was a founding member of that band IMO.
  • Options
    delectabledelectable Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    Wasn't Lady GaGa an original Doll, or they were part of her act in New York or something? I can never remember haha.

The Dolls started in 1995, so Lady GaGa would have been all of nine, unless she's a relation of Sinitta! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Marilyn Manson have had a squillion different line ups, with only the lead singer of the same name staying put. Nine Inch Nails are the same, as are Moi Dix Mois. Funny thing is, the one thing those three bands have in common is that they're essentially one bloke with a load of interchangeable hired hands. The last two more than MM- In MM Twiggy at least wrote music. But Nine Inch Nails is just singer Trent Reznor writing, composing producing everything and Moi Dix Mois is the same with guitarist Mana writing, composing and producing.

So yeah, one-man-plus-some-assistants type bands are fickle.

Also Aikaryu, who were only together about 4 or 5 years maximum, had a pretty impressive turnover rate. I don't know how many originals lasted the duration, but I'm leaning towards none or one, two at the most.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Drifters, and the British jazz group The Temperance Seven are the only bands still performing without any original members, that I can think of right now.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't the same thing happen with the Supremes?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    Didn't the same thing happen with the Supremes?

I think Mary Wilson was the only one who was with them from the beginning until they split in 1977, or so Wiki says anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RocaBoi18 wrote: »
    This thread says WITHOUT ANY.

Not WITH ONE ORIGINAL MEMBER.

*Prepares handbag for display*

Oooh-oooh

I know they have one original member but I was going to mention The Fall. However, it would seem inappropriate to do so now the post police have turned up with their pedantic siren making a noise (sirens and flashing lights are seperate as any good pedant knows).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potholderz wrote: »
    *Prepares handbag for display*

Oooh-oooh

I know they have one original member but I was going to mention The Fall. However, it would seem inappropriate to do so now the post police have turned up with their pedantic siren making a noise (sirens and flashing lights are seperate as any good pedant knows).

It's not pedantic if people are ignoring a clear question and answering another instead. The OP was asking about bands with no original members, not bands with one or two original members. That's a pretty big difference and the amount of bands in the latter situation is endless and common, unlike those with no original members.

To myself and clearly others;

No original members - interesting, unusual.

One or two original members - ...................and?
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh, it's utterly pointless to keep a band going if every member has left, this sugababes seems more like a brandname than a band :cool:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ezenden wrote: »
    It's not pedantic if people are ignoring a clear question and answering another instead. The OP was asking about bands with no original members, not bands with one or two original members. That's a pretty big difference and the amount of bands in the latter situation is endless and common, unlike those with no original members.

To myself and clearly others;

No original members - interesting, unusual.

One or two original members - ...................and?

That's true, and some bands are creatively just one person with hired hands (e.g. The Lightning Seeds, Simply Red).
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in 1999 when I saw them in Nashville The Platters only had one original member left-the bass player-as the others were all dead. I don't know if he is still there or whether they're actually still going.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Cinderelly wrote: »
    There are plenty of bands Evanescence, They only have one original member, Status Quo for a time I think.

Napalm Death, Juda Priest only have one member left from the original line up. The Pipettes, I think The Temptations, Thin Lizzy.

There's probably more.

Lynard Skynryd's only constant is Johnny I think.

Surely there's 3 original members of Priest, KK, Ian and Glenn. Rob's back too, although not being the original vocalist, he's probably considered to be.