Kid Icarus: Uprising - 3DS

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I read yesterday that the sale of the 3DS in Japan are really high at at the moment. This can only be a good thing concerning software and 3rd party developers, I expect a lot of great announcements at this year's E3.

I personally love the idea of reviving old Dreamcast games in 3D, I hope Seaman is only the tip of the iceberg where that's concerned. Also, NiGHTS Into Dreams 3D Sega now please.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Shop To.net cheapest then?
    Forum Member
    Well I don't think you will find it much cheaper than £30 and ShopTo are reliable and get the games out in good time.
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got dispatch confirmation from ShopTo...
    Funny, I thought I cancelled it. Oh well, in some ways it's the best of both worlds - I'll have to trade in a copy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK Club Nintendo website now has Kid Icarus AR cards available - 2 packs of 6 for 250 stars.
    Forum Member
    Nice one, better start registering some of my games then, not done a single one yet.

Received this earlier today and I'm enjoying it so much. It comes in a lovely package, I almost don't want to open my AR cards! Rail shooters are one of my favourite genres and the flying section on this game are SO good!

Control wise, if you play this game with the provided stand it makes so much difference, it's way more conformable than I ever thought it would be whereas I think it will take some getting used to playing it without it, especially with how intense this game can be. The aiming with the stylus is way more accurate than using a second analogue stick which would explain why they didn't include that option for CPP users (only leftie support).
    Forum Member
    Have you received your copy yet MD1500? Would like to hear your impressions on it! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you received your copy yet MD1500? Would like to hear your impressions on it! :)

Literally just picked the game up from the post office!

Oh, and it seems Club Nintendo UK have already sold out of the AR cards - they're no longer listed. Glad I got mine.
    Forum Member
    They're still up there, I just bought a load.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a little go on it now.

As a left-hander, I was concerned I'd have to use the CPP. But I used the alternate control options using the ABXY buttons as the D-Pad and the R button as Fire. With the stand, they work brilliantly. It's similar to the World Ends With You left-handed control scheme.
    Forum Member
    Nice one.

I have just sat here and payed this for hours on end and I am positively buzzing from it. One word; stunning, even better than I was hoping, there's just so much to this game, from the huge variety of weapons/fusing system to all the unlockable powers. It's an incredibly deep game with some real strategy depending on your load out and how you approach the levels. I would describe it as a cross between Star Fox and Sin & punishment with it's own unique twist.

The re-playability is off the charts, it has 100 different difficulty settings and the whole system of risk vs reward is perfectly balanced. The graphics are the best I've seen 3DS pump out so far, maybe they are not as detailed as something like Resi Evil Revelations but the style of them, like the use of colour and the 3D effect is like nothing else! I'm yet to play it online but will be doing that soon, it was something I felt was missing form Star Fox 64 3D so it's nice to have it.

The only issue with this IMHO is that this game is aimed squarely at hardcore gamers, people who are not adept with touch screen controls or fast paced gaming in general will most likely struggle with the controls here, particularly the land sections (even with the stand). It's not that they are badly designed, they could of easily of added CPP support but it would take a lot of playability away from the game. Nor does the fact it comes packaged with the stand signify there is a fault, no more so than Mario Kart Wii & the Wii Wheel. Aiming with the stylus is a key component to the playability in this game but there's no question some people will struggle with the camera.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From talking to other people, it seems that the Pit, Magnus and First Blade cards are ones everyone has, while the other 3 cards seem to be random.

Does anyone NOT have Pit, Magnus and First Blade in their card set?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am going to get this but didnt have the money today..

hope it goes down..
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    graphics are fantastic!

only played first two levels. Awesome!!
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    graphics are fantastic!

only played first two levels. Awesome!!

They really are. Chapter 5 is just so gorgeous. The 3D is so well done, having an object in the foreground while shooting object in the background like Star Fox 64 3D and Pilotwings Resort is the perfect setting for good 3D.

I found it interesting there is no enhancements made in 2D mode, usually they add higher resolution and a healthy dose of AA and sometimes increased FPS too but in this game there's nothing, that's not so good for people who can't view 3D though.
    Forum Member
    This game is getting better the more I play it, the ground sections are so enjoyable and the strafing/dodging mechanic is intuitive. I also can't believe how big this game is too, over 25 chapters and each of them hold so much variety! Only been able to crank up the difficulty to 6.0 so far, I'm not going any further and risking frustrating myself as I'm not good enough yet. I love the way you can adjust the difficulty in such small increments though to push yourself further. The other incentive to play on higher difficulty beside more action, rare items and extra hearts (currency) is the locked areas that only open on a particular difficulty setting.

I also picked up the new Nintendo Gamer today and their summarising paragraph in the review of Uprising breaks the game down well I think;

In an ideal world, user friendliness does trump all. And Nintendo live in that ideal world 99% of the time but it's that 1%, the rare trip into uncharted territory, that can result in their best work. We won't lie to you; Uprising is awkward and unusual, but love hurts.. and no pain no gain....and you can't make an omelette without breaking tendons... No we won't lie to you: Kid Icarus Uprising is 3DS most exciting game to date"

92/100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the first weapon gem via spotpass
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Received my German copy with 30 additional cards today.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/md1500/DSCF2923-1.jpg

CeX offer £22 cash for the game alone, without the cards or stand, so I'll probably sell it to them.

It means that I now have 5 duplicates of the cards.

One interesting thing, in the CN Kid Icarus survey, I was asked if I'd be interested in buying packs of cards at newsagents for £1. (I said Yes, obv)
    Forum Member
    The Spotpass gems seem to be a daily thing as I have a few now. If you merge them you can make some very interesting weapons but I don't want to squander them just yet as I think if you hold on there'll be some great combinations/potentially rare weapons coming up.

I ordered TONS of cards, used over 4000 points on them so I should have a lot arrive when ever Nintendo Club send them out. I think it's gonna be a bit like Skylanders where they'll be in short supply and people will snap them up asap. I'm willing to trade cards with anyone on here if they like.
    Forum Member
    I actually think this is the best game on 3DS, OoT 3D is incredible but this game just keeps going, so much replayability. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be slow on this, but I've just realised that every new card you scan in gives you 100 extra hearts.
    Forum Member
    I've hardly spent any of my hearts, the shop keeps changing so often I never know what to buy, or when there has been something good I've been able to afford it. It seems fusing weapons is a lot cheaper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ONM (Official Nintendo Magazine) has 6 "exclusive" cards as a free gift. I ended up buying 3 copies, fully expecting the 6 cards to be all the same, but there's only one common card in each pack - 025 Three Sacred Treasures. In other words, the rest of the cards are all different, so it may be worth buying a couple of copies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Wow. 2Dshumplover could sell me on anything. I guess I'll have to get this, too...

Nintendo never really fails to deliver, does it?
    Forum Member
    :) If you like Sin & Punishment or rail shooters in general you will surely love this game.

I've still not received my AR cards from Nintendo yet, I wonder how long it's going to take.