Edge top 10 best consoles

2»

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS2 at number one seem fair given the success of that machine and it did have quite a few good games released on it.

I have always felt the 360 is overrated so I disagree with it been number 2.

I would put the Gamecube higher up the list.

For me personally it would be:-

8. PSP
    7. Dreamcast
    6. NDS
    5. 3DO
    4. Xbox 1
    3. Gamecube
    2. N64
    1. PS3

Which is based on the fun and enjoyment I have got from those systems at the time. I never really owned a PSX long enough (Sold it before DualShock really started) and I never owned a PS2 which is why those are absent from my list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Lathamite wrote: »
    N64 should be number one, or at least ahead of its Sony peer (the PSONE).

You can waffle on about sales figures, I'll just toddle off and play Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64.

The problems with the N64 is, that was pretty much all you were playing. I can think of about three, maybe four other top games, but nothing touched those three you list. I say this as a massive N64 fan back in the day. Huge. Spent a fortune on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    PS2 deserves to be number one because it has the most games of any platform to date, and thoroughly dominated the sixth generation of gaming. Xbox 360, likewise, was the lead platform and main innovator of the seventh generation, and has the best games of all of the consoles listed; but did not dominate its rivals as thoroughly as PS2, sharing a large number of multiplatform titles and eking out roughly 50/50 market share with its direct competitor. PS1 is number three because, like 360, it still faced some significant resistance (from N64) despite its vast library. N64 is number four because of the revolutionary impact games like Super Mario 64 had on the industry.

But Gamecube should not be number five; contrary to popular belief, Wii has a far superior library.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    5. 3DO

Really? Everyone I know who had a 3DO pretty much wishes they'd never blown the cash on one :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JakeMurrin wrote: »
    Xbox 360, likewise, was the lead platform and main innovator of the seventh generation, and has the best games of all of the consoles listed; but did not dominate its rivals as thoroughly as PS2, sharing a large number of multiplatform titles and eking out roughly 50/50 market share with its direct competitor.

Didn't the Wii dominate both the 360 and PS3 this generation?

How was the 360 the main innovator? The Wii popularised motion gaming and brought gaming to the casual market in a big way and was probably the main innovator of this generation. The 360 brought a modified Eye Toy to try and get in on the motion action, so hardly innovating things there.

The PS3 and 360 eventually eked out 30% of this generation each which is pretty good considering the start the Wii had.
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Really? Everyone I know who had a 3DO pretty much wishes they'd never blown the cash on one :D

I really enjoyed it. Need for Speed blew me away and was unlike anything I had played at the time.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    As Edge is so far up its own backside I wouldn't even trust it to pronounce on their own kidneys, let alone anything else.

Regards

Mark

Thanks for that contribution.

Regards,

Matt
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have it like this for the top 5

5) n64 - had so much fun on this with my friends on goldeneye
    4) Xbox 360 - for longevity and just solid games
    3) Xbox - revolutionised multiplayer for me, Xbox live with the headset was amazing
    2) ps2 - just amazing great games, and I just loved turning it on hearing the tone lol
    1) dreamcast - my first foray into multiplayer and I loved the accessories like the vmu, and some amazing memorable games like crazy taxi, soul calibur, shenmue etc
    Forum Member
    “Didn't the Wii dominate both the 360 and PS3 this generation?”

No, it didn’t. The average Wii game has a much lower Metacritic score than the average 360 or PS3 game, and Wii has fewer great games in general. Wii has outdated online services and is a generation behind technologically. Everyone knows that Wii is an inferior system. The difference in price makes sales comparisons irrelevant. Wii was not a direct competitor to either Sony or Microsoft.

360 was the lead innovator because most big new franchises started on 360 (Dead Rising, Saints Row, Lost Planet, Bayonetta, Call of Duty 2, ect), because the most original JRPS this side of Xenoblade were 360 exclusives (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey), because Fable 2 has more good ideas than the past 10 years of Final Fantasy combined, because Microsoft Studios ushered in a new era of interactive storytelling when they published Mass Effect, because Gears of War and Halo 3 raised the bar for online multiplayer, because Forza out-Gran-Turismoed Gran Turismo itself, because 360 unleashed today’s indie games revolution and established the best online infrastructure in gaming history, because Kinect is the first step to virtual reality and not just a glorified Wii remote (*cough* Move *cough*), because 360 has the best multiplatform games whereas PS3 has the most crippled hand-me-down ports and mediocre copycats (Resistance, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, ect.).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    “Didn't the Wii dominate both the 360 and PS3 this generation?”

No, it didn’t. The average Wii game has a much lower Metacritic score than the average 360 or PS3 game, and Wii has fewer great games in general. Wii has outdated online services and is a generation behind technologically. Everyone knows that Wii is an inferior system. The difference in price makes sales comparisons irrelevant. Wii was not a direct competitor to either Sony or Microsoft.

360 was the lead innovator because most big new franchises started on 360 (Dead Rising, Saints Row, Lost Planet, Bayonetta, Call of Duty 2, ect), because the most original JRPS this side of Xenoblade were 360 exclusives (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey), because Fable 2 has more good ideas than the past 10 years of Final Fantasy combined, because Microsoft Studios ushered in a new era of interactive storytelling when they published Mass Effect, because Gears of War and Halo 3 raised the bar for online multiplayer, because Forza out-Gran-Turismoed Gran Turismo itself, because 360 unleashed today’s indie games revolution and established the best online infrastructure in gaming history, because Kinect is the first step to virtual reality and not just a glorified Wii remote (*cough* Move *cough*), because 360 has the best multiplatform games whereas PS3 has the most crippled hand-me-down ports and mediocre copycats (Resistance, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, ect.).

Innovate - To begin or introduce something new.

Just to pick on a few things,
    JRPGs didn't begin or get introduced on 360.
    Call of Duty 2 was not the start of the franchise.
    Forza may have bettered GT in its genre but the genre didn't begin or get introduced by Forza.
    Xbox LIVE started on Xbox 1 and online on console was really innovated by SEGA with the Dreamcast.
    Fable 2 followed on from many of the ideas in Fable 1.
    Kinect is not the first step towards VR, its possible the third step behind work done with Webcams and Eye Toy.

360 may have given us some pretty cool stuff but innovation is not a word I would really use to describe those things.
    Forum Member
    But that's the nature of innovation. There are antecedents to everything. We are long past the point where entirely new game genres are being created. I consider Skyward Sword innovative, but it’s still using the same old Zelda formula.

You're not really disputing my point, you're trying to get out on a technicality. Guess what, Saturn had online too, so I guess Dreamcast wasn't really innovative.

Short answer: Tell me something I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Short answer: Tell me something I don't know.

Real innovation rarely happens.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Top 3 are fair enough. I'd have the PS3 at #4 personally.
    Forum Member
    Real innovation rarely happens.

Everyone knows that 360 is the lead platform, and everyone knows that Microsoft has done more to influence the direction of console gaming over the past decade than have Sony or Nintendo. As Edge predicted, Halo was the most important launch game in history.

So your point is irrelevant. Of course innovation is a matter of degree--Super Mario Galaxy is innovative, as is Super Mario 3D Land, but neither one has the same epochal significance as Super Mario 64.

Rather than innovative, let's use the word influential, although in practice they mean much the same thing. Although no-one believes PS3 was the most influential console this generation, it might be possible to argue Wii earned that distinction. Earlier, you cited sales figures, as if its financial success was some sort of admission by the gaming community that Wii was secretly a masterful system far superior to the 360 or PS3. Although that is transparently absurd, I suppose the motion control fad could end up being as significant as any of Microsoft's contributions to console gaming. Perhaps time will tell.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS2 would definitely be number 1 on my list. It brought me back to console gaming after years on the PC and I spent more hours playing on it than any of my other consoles put together. Probably put GameCube at number 2, it was always my second favourite of the 6th gen consoles.

Probably put the Xboxes further down the list because I've had so much trouble with them. 1st gen Xbox broke down out of warranty, 1st Xbox 360 broke 3 times and now my 360S has a very noisy fan!!
  • RoyceRoyce Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    As Edge is so far up its own backside I wouldn't even trust it to pronounce on their own kidneys, let alone anything else.

Regards

Mark

Edge used to be "up its own backside" but this kind of story just reeks of tabloid style sensationalism. Clearly their circulation figures are down.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS2 at number one seem fair given the success of that machine and it did have quite a few good games released on it.

I have always felt the 360 is overrated so I disagree with it been number 2.

I would put the Gamecube higher up the list.

For me personally it would be:-

8. PSP
    7. Dreamcast
    6. NDS
    5. 3DO
    4. Xbox 1
    3. Gamecube
    2. N64
    1. PS3

Which is based on the fun and enjoyment I have got from those systems at the time. I never really owned a PSX long enough (Sold it before DualShock really started) and I never owned a PS2 which is why those are absent from my list.

Someone putting PS3 first and leaving out PS1 & PS2 is really odd, it's where it all started with some incredible games that changed gaming.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    The intro for the PS1 to was amazing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekqYhP8PhMg

Great memories, I'd love to see it on PS4 just like that.

That used to give me goosebumps when I first got my ps1. I cant believe the ps1 never made the top 10.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Royce wrote: »
    Edge used to be "up its own backside" but this kind of story just reeks of tabloid style sensationalism. Clearly their circulation figures are down.

It's their 20th anniversary this month, that's why they're doing it.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edge has released a list of the top 10 best consoles released over the last 20 years.

10. Dreamcast
    9. Xbox
    8. Wii
    7. PlayStation 3
    6. DS lite
    5. GameCube
    4. Nintendo 64
    3. PlayStation
    2. Xbox 360
    1. PlayStation 2

Agree? Disagree?

I've not owned all the consoles listed - missing 5, 6, 7 and 8.........

but of the others

I would suggest just from the sheer difference it meant to the way I see gaming evolution, and the games that were released

it would have to be

6. Nintendo 64 (had fabulous multiplayer games and a brilliant joypad)

5.Dreamcast (tried to bring online gaming, great product, lousy marketing, lead to Xbox creation)

4.PlayStation 2 (carried on the PS brand with solid results)

3.Xbox (Showed us new capabilities in graphics and marketing)

2. Xbox 360 (Solidly brought accessible online gaming to everyone)

1. PlayStation - started off a whole new generation of gamers
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Xbox 360 being ahead of the PS3 however 7th is a tad harsh. PS1 trumps both of them. It had unbelieveable games catalogue and imo will never be beaten and for that reason should be sitting comfortably at #1. I'm surprised to see Xbox and Dreamcast so low. Actually the more i think about it's a rubbish top 10.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original Xbox should have been much higher than that. Yes the Dreamcast was the first with online play, but the Xbox was the one that changed online gaming on the console and helped make it what it is today.

Plus having a hard drive in it was also something new and changed gaming again.
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is the SNES. Lazy of Edge to only cover the last 20 years.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edge has released a list of the top 10 best consoles released over the last 20 years.

10. Dreamcast
    9. Xbox
    8. Wii
    7. PlayStation 3
    6. DS lite
    5. GameCube
    4. Nintendo 64
    3. PlayStation
    2. Xbox 360
    1. PlayStation 2

Agree? Disagree?

I disagree, Dreamcast was far better than the Wii and Gamecube should be number one with N64 at number 2.
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no way in hell that the 360 should be ahead of the ps1. The DS i would also have higher than what it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone putting PS3 first and leaving out PS1 & PS2 is really odd, it's where it all started with some incredible games that changed gaming.

Not really as I never owned a PS2 and barely owned a PSX so including them on a list of my personal favourites would be crazy.

I did acknowledge that PS2 deserves to be number one though.