How much does it cost to cremate a dog?

ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My partner's brother's dog is in very ill health and sadly on his last legs :(

He doesn't have much money, and is living with friends so not claiming housing benefit.

How much will it cost for him to cremate?

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grab some pallets and pop the dog on top and light it (assuming the pooch is no longer around)

If it included popping the poor fido's clogs then it may be free from the pdsa or could cost a lot from a normal vet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends where you live. Why does he want the dog cremated?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've paid for my mum's cats to be cremated on three occasions (they died of old age, she isn't a pet killers :p) and each time it was around £200 for an individual cremation with the ashes back. You can pay about £80 if you don't mind it being a mass cremation with other animals, and I think you still get some ashes back.

Honestly it would probably depend on the size of the dog. A great dane can't cost the same as a Yorkshire terrier to cremate.

There will also be the free option of taking the body away and burying it yourselves, although that never appealed to me.

I hope your partner's brother is okay. :( I knew it would bring my mum a lot of comfort to have the individual ashes back so I was more than happy to fork out the cash for her.
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Depends where you live. Why does he want the dog cremated?

The dog is very ill and instead of it being buried in the garden, as it's a big dog and the house is not his. As wrong as it stands, would it cost a lot to euthanise him as he is not eating and not very active.

He lives in Dudley, West Midlands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dog is very ill and instead of it being buried in the garden, as it's a big dog and the house is not his. As wrong as it stands, would it cost a lot to euthanise him as he is not eating and not very active.

Is the dog getting medical attention? From that post it sounds like he's just being left to slowly waste away without a vet's advice :/
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet corpses are not like human corpses. The law doesn't really care what you do with them. They are just garbage to be disposed of. I buried my budgie in front of the kitchen window then planted some rhubarb over him. I love a good crumble and I know he'd want me to be happy :)
  • Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Euthanasia is quite expensive, the more an animal weights the higher the cost in most cases.

I'm not being funny but if the dog isn't eating and is barely active, regardless of cost it NEEDS veterinary attention and euthanasia. It doesn't sound like it has quality of life and imo should be relieved from suffering asap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how my dog went, very old and was getting slower and slower, one day it just died. Quick. Cost me £220 and had to go and collect it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the poor dog is suffering. Please get them to take it to a vet, my lab cost me £280. Worth every penny for me to have my boy home with me.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    It depends whether you want him cremated and his ashes back if not they normally have a group cremation job done kind of thing?
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he not got a PDSA near him if so it may be worth contacting them to see if he can get help with vet bills
  • Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor thing, sounds like he needs urgent vet attention
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Euthanasia is quite expensive, the more an animal weights the higher the cost in most cases.

I'm not being funny but if the dog isn't eating and is barely active, regardless of cost it NEEDS veterinary attention and euthanasia. It doesn't sound like it has quality of life and imo should be relieved from suffering asap.

Can't he go to the PDSA or something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Don't people bury their deceased pets in their gardens anymore and is it illegal these days?
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Don't people bury their deceased pets in their gardens anymore and is it illegal these days?
    It's legal in most places AFAIK but perhaps people don't realise that and/or don't like the idea. For a large dog it could be a lot of digging.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no idea but what a waste of money, donate the cost to a dog's home.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had two dogs cremated. Usually your vet arranges everything with the company they use and you can pick up the ashes in a week. Price depends whether you want a group or individual cremation on the size of dog, whether you want just a bag of ashes or a casket an so on.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »

You are talking out of your ass. When a person has had a beloved pet for years it's part of the family. I for one have kept the ashes of both of my dogs. One I had for 16 years of his life.

I chose not to bury mine because if I moved then what would happen? I wanted my dogs ashes to keep and it was a comfort to me to have them
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »

I have to agree. Look after the living.
    Dogs are two-a-penny here. Can't even give them away. The locals think they have no souls. If a dog dies, it just gets thrown into the communal rubbish bin or over the nearest cliff. No sentiment.
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree. Look after the living.
    Dogs are two-a-penny here. Can't even give them away. The locals think they have no souls. If a dog dies, it just gets thrown into the communal rubbish bin or over the nearest cliff. No sentiment.

But you live in an uncaring country, in the UK people have a soul.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    But you live in an uncaring country, in the UK people have a soul.

Is there a reason for this bump:confused:
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not being funny but if the dog isn't eating and is barely active, regardless of cost it NEEDS veterinary attention and euthanasia. It doesn't sound like it has quality of life and imo should be relieved from suffering asap.[/QUOTE]

This. See if you have an RSPCA animal clinic nearby. We had one of our cats PTS there two years ago - £15, including cremation. (Although you didn't get the ashes back)
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan cost us £300 but that included a weekend call out and he was hospitalised for a night before he was finally PTS.

If your dog is as ill as he sounds it's cruel not to take him to the vet, several places deal with people who cannot afford a private vet.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine the dog's either dead or better, Molliepops - and the OP's inactive too.....