Nokia make €115m loss in 2nd quarter as it sells almost 3 Million less Smartphones

2»

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its to do with the manufacturer. If Samsung, HTC, Sony were to launch all their handsets on Windows Phone, then Android would soon go down.

Nokia is the only real company pushing Windows Phone, all those people at the time were in 2 year contracts, those contracts will soon come to an end, many people don't want to commit to another long term contract and end up keeping their old device.

HTC and Samsung heavily pushed Windows Phone devices but nobody was interested. They launched campaigns with the ATIV S and HTC 8X but nobody cared. Sony also aborted their Windows Phone device before it went to market.

Nobody was fully invested in Android when it started out. HTC were still releasing Windows Mobile devices when they made their first Android device as was Samsung, so I'm not buying that argument at all.
  • booiebooie Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    What nokia should do just to see if Android would sell their phones is the opposite to samsung and htc, Keep windows as its main os but release a few handsets running Android.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft give Nokia a large subsidy so there is no way Nokia can release an Android device. They should have made the switch in 2009. Now they are tied to the sinking platform that is WP.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 7.8 Windows Phone and after a year of use I have made the switch as I was getting frustrated by the little amount of apps that were getting released for the Nokia phone. I have ended up making the switch to Android.

I loved the Nokia phone, but Microsoft is ruining the Nokia brand and like many I wish they would release a couple of Android phones.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    That's the problem, there's always an iPhone app and usually an Android app but there isn't always a Windows Phone app and when there is it's usually not as good.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the opposite of the midas touch? Whatever it is, Microsoft has it.
    Nokia's hardware seems decent enough, and Windows has to be a leap forward compared to the godawful symbian thing - but if they could go Android, then I think things would really pick up for them.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I don't see how; the only companies doing well out of Android are ... Samsung and Google.
    And Microsoft.

Its to do with the manufacturer. If Samsung, HTC, Sony were to launch all their handsets on Windows Phone, then Android would soon go down.
    Why would they when MS are pushing Nokia so heavily? There is no reason for any of those manufacturers to favour WP.
    Samsung, put simply, don't need WP8 and have no reason to put any effort into it unless it starts to seriously take off. HTC were a huge supporter of WinMo, they made some of the best handsets ever to run the OS yet MS have been happy to neglect them in favour for Nokia, a company who were paid billions to switch to WP despite producing nothing decent for years.

Also, to say that Android would drop in popularity if all it's major OEMs were to stop producing devices running it isn't exactly insightful.

clonmult wrote: »
    Consider that they just spent 1.7 billion buying out of NSN.

1.7 billion spent, yet they only made a 155 million loss? Thats actually not too bad - if it wasn't for that, they would have probably done quite well (by their recent standards).
    They've agreed to buy out Siemens' share, it hasn't actually happened yet.
    It has no bearing on these figures.