Hit films now Forgotten

14567810»

Comments

• AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    Maybe by the circle that you inhabit, but those films get mentioned quite often for films that are over a decade old. Again, this thread does bring up some strange suggestions.
    What about Cop Town then, does that inhabit another circle, perhaps one that you don't think is so wacky and zany, ya patronising tool!
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Anonandon wrote: »
    What about Cop Town then, does that inhabit another circle, perhaps one that you don't think is so wacky and zany,

I didn't quote your mention of Cop Town, so that's moot.
    ya patronising tool!

Aww... diddums.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Anonandon wrote: »
    Critically, LA Confidential, Mulholland Drive and Croutching Tiger, Hidden Dragon were all the rage, all pretty much forgetten.
    Quick quiz:

1. A film still frequently cited as an exemplary thriller.
    2. An old master back on blazing form making poss. film of decade.
    3. A foreign US box-office/Academy smash now with a sequel/reboot on the cards.

Answers nearby.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the term 'forgotten' is pretty subjective, while a movie may be remembered by many in other ways it can ber forgotten/ignored.

Infrequent showings on TV, no blu ray release, seems to be a few self appointed experts on here on whether a film is forgotten or not..
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    I think the term 'forgotten' is pretty subjective, while a movie may be remembered by many in other ways it can ber forgotten/ignored.
    Indeed. It's precisely why we shouldn't make uninformed blanket statements that could be mistaken for objective.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    sinbad8982 wrote: »

Infrequent showings on TV, no blu ray release, seems to be a few self appointed experts on here on whether a film is forgotten or not..

I do a search on DS before mentioning whether a movie is forgotten-so
    I was going to suggest "BMX Bandits", but I found it gets a good few mentions in
    DS discussions, so it ain't forgotten.

I also think fans of a particular genre might remember films in that genre
    that the general public wouldn't- I believe sci-fi fans would remember flicks
    like "Android" and "Enemy Mine", whereas general movie viewers wouldn't.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure it can be classed as forgotten but 'After hours' (Scorcese-1985) is rarely mentioned nowadays.

'The Morning After' (by Sydney Lumet with Jane Fonda, Jeff Bridges) is completely forgotten it seems despite having some incredible photography of Los Angeles.
    Forum Member
    tahiti wrote: »
    I am not sure it can be classed as forgotten but 'After hours' (Scorcese-1985) is rarely mentioned nowadays.

Not forgotten, but AH doesn't seem to have the high profile of "Raging Bull" or
    "Goodfellas".
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's true. Strange thing is it made a lot more money than his previous film the King of Comedy which was a huge flop, but whereas that film has gone on to attract a cult following, After Hours has almost faded into obscurity since.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'The Morning After' (by Sydney Lumet with Jane Fonda, Jeff Bridges) is completely forgotten it seems despite having some incredible photography of Los Angeles.

yep completely forgotten that one (dont think theres even a dvd available)

A few Gene Hackman ones

Loose Cannons
    Narrow Margin
    Target
    The Package
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I would say that a forgotten film should have been eother a critical or commercial success but that people nowadays are unlikely to mention it when discussing successes.

Also I might include films dismissed as a flop even though at the time they were commercially successful.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I would say that a forgotten film should have been eother a critical or commercial success but that people nowadays are unlikely to mention it when discussing successes.

Also I might include films dismissed as a flop even though at the time they were commercially successful.

If a film is a flop that means it wasn't commercially successful.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    If a film is a flop that means it wasn't commercially successful.
    Many films haven't been commercially successful but had a cult following and turned out to be very successful and some have classic status.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I would say Honey I Shrunk The Kids. I think this is because the technology was innovative at the time of the early 90's but now it is dated to what has released since. Particularly when you think of the Pixar films with their digital animation, the Marvel films and the new Batman franchise. It just does not stand up to to films like that now.I thought it was quite a good film at the time.

You show that film to a child of today and they probably not be interested in watching it.

The camerawork in that film looks more realistic to me than modern CGI effects do.
    I think it's an excellent film.
    Forum Member
    1949's "The Glass Mountain" (with Michael Denison & Dulcie Gray) was a big
    commerical success on release, but rarely gets mentioned nowadays.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Mercy
    Barfly

off topic but someone mentioning Honey I Shrunk The Kids has made me wonder what happened to Rick Moranis
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another Costner movie that seems to have faded away is Dances With Wolves.

Much like his career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Every best Oscar picture winner over the recent years are forgotten, Argo, Hurt Lock, 12 years a slave, The Artist and the soon to be Birdman.

None of these have really stood the test of time like Gladiator, Departed, LOTR, Beautiful Mind and Titanic. These are universally recognisable films and instant classic but I really couldn't stay the same of any of the recent best pictures and the standards have been falling.
    Forum Member
    jalal wrote: »
    Every best Oscar picture winner over the recent years are forgotten, Argo, Hurt Lock, 12 years a slave, The Artist and the soon to be Birdman.

Ahem? 12YAS and Argo are still regularly mentioned on film sites like "The Dissolve",
    and the former film also featured in a recent "Cracked" article.
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-greatest-movie-scenes-are-only-few-seconds-long/

People are still taking about those movies.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More > Movies has California Suite. Its on Sunday and Wednesday in the next week. Already on the EPG planner. One of the big hits of 1979 with a great cast
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    More > Movies has California Suite. Its on Sunday and Wednesday in the next week. Already on the EPG planner. One of the big hits of 1979 with a great cast

Yes indeed a 70s classic!

To anyone who enjoys it, I would recommend a film called 'The Serial' with Tuesday Weld. A completely different story but a similar 70s feel !
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »

Including the now scandal-ridden Bill Cosby....