World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXXVIII (Spoilers)

ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,530
Forum Member
✭✭
Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
I was thinking earlier (sad I know) about how many WWE championship PPV matches this decade have not featured one of the following: John Cena, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar and CM Punk. Unless mistaken, I reached a total of 2 out of nearly 55 PPVs - Bryan vs. Kane and Miz vs. Lawler.

I did some digging too to see if this was replicated in the Attitude Era, and was quite amazed - between December 1997 (HBK vs. Shamrock) and November 2002 (Lesnar vs. Big Show) there was not a single PPV WWF/E championship match that did not feature one of Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H or The Undertaker. There were zero exceptions.

Really goes to show how eras are built around a small number of top stars.

Continuation of: World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXXVII (Spoilers)

Comments

• JEStansfieldJEStansfield Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Well it finally happened.

This morning I phoned Sky and cancelled my Sports package. The advent of the network, combined with the fact that I rarely find time to watch Smackdown and the woeful standard of RAW since the beginning of the year means that I can no longer justify paying £25 a month to watch a weekly 3 hour show, of which only maybe 20 minutes a week is any good. I imagine those bits are always on the one hour version of RAW that Sky show on Sunday mornings anyway. I've also decided I want to get Netflix to watch Daredevil and Archer so something had to go and this was it.

Sky didn't even try to talk me into staying with it.

I've always tried to be optimistic about WWE but the terrible build up to Wrestlemania and the quick plunge back to 'same old sh*t' that was this week's RAW are all the proof anyone should need that WWE do not care about their weekly shows anymore. Not even during the time when they have previously made more effort than ever - Mania time.

I know I'll miss it in some ways, but I also know I won't miss feeling like I've pretty much wasted my Tuesday evening each week.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New thread already? That was quick compared to last time.

I would prefer that the mods spent their time trying to sort out the broken search functions on the site.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    What the hell with the new thread lol?

I promise that I did NOT bribe the mods to end the thread with me on top because I can't watch Raw live this week and FMKK would have overtaken me....
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports just for the WWE, would be too much for most people I feel. It's a shame that our basic cable packages are not as big as the US, where like 90+ % of the population pay for it.

Though, without LIVE Raw, the PPVs don't make sense - you need some build up.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    I don't think you do these days, the build is so crap/minimal that the pre-match video packages end up doing more for a match than four weeks of piss poor booking and writing ever could.
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it finally happened.

This morning I phoned Sky and cancelled my Sports package. The advent of the network, combined with the fact that I rarely find time to watch Smackdown and the woeful standard of RAW since the beginning of the year means that I can no longer justify paying £25 a month to watch a weekly 3 hour show, of which only maybe 20 minutes a week is any good. I imagine those bits are always on the one hour version of RAW that Sky show on Sunday mornings anyway. I've also decided I want to get Netflix to watch Daredevil and Archer so something had to go and this was it.

Don't blame you mate. I'd do the same if I wasn't interested in golf, football, cricket etc.

You can get the somewhat interesting parts of Raw on the WWE youtube channel anyway
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I promise that I did NOT bribe the mods to end the thread with me on top because I can't watch Raw live this week and FMKK would have overtaken me....

I'm not so sure. I think there should be an investigation.:D
    Forum Member
    I don't think you do these days, the build is so crap/minimal that the pre-match video packages end up doing more for a match than four weeks of piss poor booking and writing ever could.

They might. But in the video packages you don't get the little or big details.
    Smackdown, I gave up watching some time ago. Unless, they announce something good on Raw.

Maybe I am a little spoilt, but without LIVE HD RAW, it would be harder for me to follow the product.
    Forum Member
    I'm not so sure. I think there should be an investigation.:D

I think there was a little too much 'investigation' in the last thread! ;)
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Don't blame you mate. I'd do the same if I wasn't interested in golf, football, cricket etc.

You can get the somewhat interesting parts of Raw on the WWE youtube channel anyway

Thats the glory of WWE's youtube channel. You can watch the best bits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eh, I got taken over by fecking Alexi in the other one anyway. He was posting along with Smackdown. SMACKDOWN!

I can't compete with that.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't compete with me because I'm awesome
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I was "BLOCKed" on twitter by JBL by pointing out the fact that Rey Mysterio retired him pms
  • Sinister2010Sinister2010 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member

Mmmm I don't know whether to believe you or not if you had nothing to do with the previous thread being closed then how come you weren't on here last night during Smackdown? Just cause I'm a legend and your ok in the rightful opinion of Goodol Is:D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    You can't compete with me because I'm awesome

People who watch Smackdown are not awesome.

Also, I think it's slightly worrying that you're taking your Miz markdom to new levels...
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »

Also, I think it's slightly worrying that you're taking your Miz markdom to new levels...

That could explain why he thinks Smackdown is awesome:D.
    Forum Member
    Also not that I've just realised but wow new thread already? The previous thread didn't last that long:D.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I didn't say Smackdown was awesome. Just me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And your one true love The Miz.
    Forum Member

So your awesome? If your awesome then I'm a legend:D.
    Forum Member
    And your one true love The Miz.

Probably loves Miz as much as Maryse does:o:D.
  • goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is everyone on this bright and beautiful day!
    Forum Member
    goodol ls wrote: »
    How is everyone on this bright and beautiful day!

I feel a bit better thanks to you calling me a legend *cries* thank you it means so much to me:D.
  • Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Miz certainly isn't.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    PaulMc67 wrote: »
    I was "BLOCKed" on twitter by JBL by pointing out the fact that Rey Mysterio retired him pms

Thats Kayfabe on a new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-D8EWebPI
This discussion has been closed.