New BT Line to be installed - Help Needed

Just had an answerphone message off Openreach confirming the date my new line is going. As my line is being installed in a flat, the guy who phoned me said to make sure that the engineer could have access to the Telephone Distribution Point in my building.

Problem is, I don't have a clue what this is, looks like or where it is likely to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a caretaker or a managing agent that may know?
    The DP is the main incoming point for the external cable to the premises.
    Poss a cupboard on the ground floor somewhere
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    No, it's council-run (badly) and there's no one person in charge of the building.

There's no cupboard or anything like that. The building is literally 2 doors, a corridor for the two ground floor flats and a staircase for the 2 upstairs flats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other methods of feeding the premises with telephony service could be:
    1. External wall block
    2. Seperate overhead cable to each flat
    3. Seperate underground cable feed to each flat.

Have a look around ouside tomorrow and see what you can spot, or ask a neighbour
    Forum Member
    Looked outside - noticed that wasn't any overhead wires of any sort around, so I'm guessing we've got some sort of underground cabling.

Another dull question probably but how would the BT engineer add a new line to this if it is underground, as, as far as I can see, there's no cabling coming into the flat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He would need to run a cable from where ever the underground cable appears on the flats to your premises.

I assume there has never been a telephone line in the premises.
    Forum Member
    I have now asked one of my neighbours and discovered that the white plastic faceplate behind my front door is where the underground cabling comes up into my flat.

Many thanks for your help