Options

Sony TV error codes

fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Sony Bravia KDL 32S 3000 tv which has recently been reluctant coming out of standby and blinking three times repetitively.

I think this is indicating a B+ over voltage protection (OVP) and/or possibly a problem in the power supply circuit.

I found what the blinking lights meant and causes for them by internet searching, and also the fact I could look at a diagnostic screen to see the fault displayed. Looking at this screen I found that the only fault displayed is E03 DC FAIL. I'm not sure if those two faults are the same but assuming they are I've got a couple of question if anyone can or is willing to answer for me.

First, I can get the tv to come out of standby by holding down the power on button (my wife who is the one who actually uses the tv says it seems to take longer and longer to come on) but am I doing something which can cause possible damage to the set, or can I just keep on doing this for as long as it actually works?

Second, I also tried looking up if anyone had experience on getting this professionally fixed. The only two people I could find that had tried it both said it wasn't worth the cost (using a Sony agent) they decided to junk the set and buy a new tv - and definitely not a Sony. (my set is just only 3 years old and hasn't had a tough life, my wife doesn't watch it much so it seems as if it's not too reliable). I also found that Comet have a tv repair service that for £125 will repair it. Has anyone ever tried this service?

Third, if I decide it's not worth repairing what tv manufacturers have currently got a good name for reliability? Any personal experiences or any links to where I can find out where all the best tv's are made.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    fortytwo wrote: »
    I have a Sony Bravia KDL 32S 3000 tv which has recently been reluctant coming out of standby and blinking three times repetitively.

I think this is indicating a B+ over voltage protection (OVP) and/or possibly a problem in the power supply circuit.

I found what the blinking lights meant and causes for them by internet searching, and also the fact I could look at a diagnostic screen to see the fault displayed. Looking at this screen I found that the only fault displayed is E03 DC FAIL. I'm not sure if those two faults are the same but assuming they are I've got a couple of question if anyone can or is willing to answer for me.

3 flashes is 'Power Supply Protection Error', but it appears to refer to the low voltage regulators on the BC board, and not the main power supply board.

First, I can get the tv to come out of standby by holding down the power on button (my wife who is the one who actually uses the tv says it seems to take longer and longer to come on) but am I doing something which can cause possible damage to the set, or can I just keep on doing this for as long as it actually works?

It shouldn't cause any damage.

Second, I also tried looking up if anyone had experience on getting this professionally fixed. The only two people I could find that had tried it both said it wasn't worth the cost (using a Sony agent) they decided to junk the set and buy a new tv - and definitely not a Sony. (my set is just only 3 years old and hasn't had a tough life, my wife doesn't watch it much so it seems as if it's not too reliable). I also found that Comet have a tv repair service that for £125 will repair it. Has anyone ever tried this service?

The Comet scheme is a scam, they only repair for that price if it's viable - and apparently they find most repairs are non-viable.

Third, if I decide it's not worth repairing what tv manufacturers have currently got a good name for reliability? Any personal experiences or any links to where I can find out where all the best tv's are made.

The best and most reliable TV's are Sony and Panasonic, ALL sets can go wrong - but Sony and Panasonic are less likely than others to go wrong, and you've more chance of getting them repaired if and when they do.

If you're disappointed with Sony, then try Panasonic - you can move to cheaper (poorer) makes after that :D
  • Options
    radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 flashes is 'Power Supply Protection Error', but it appears to refer to the low voltage regulators on the BC board, and not the main power supply board.

The Comet scheme is a scam, they only repair for that price if it's viable - and apparently they find most repairs are non-viable.

The best and most reliable TV's are Sony and Panasonic, ALL sets can go wrong - but Sony and Panasonic are less likely than others to go wrong, and you've more chance of getting them repaired if and when they do.

If you're disappointed with Sony, then try Panasonic - you can move to cheaper (poorer) makes after that :D

Comet would rather sell you something new based on the experiences I've had in the past,quoting a silly price is their way of saying they don't want the work.I've had a set recently that they claimed would cost too much to repair,don't know how they knew that,I whipped the back off,full of undisturbed filth and dust.Cleaned all the crap out and after 5 minutes of checks found a dry joint was causing the problem,removed board,soldered joint and voila T.V working properly,only used a minute bit of solder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the quick reply.

Going on what you've posted then I can continue to use the set and it's unlikely to go up in a puff of smoke?:)

One other thing I forgot to post, during my searching online it mentions that unless you clear the fault the error message will keep on recurring. Is it possible that it was a spurious warning and that by going into the Service Menu I can reset the tv back to its factory setting. At least if it happened again I'd know it really means it:)

I understand I can do a lot of damage if I play with the settings so I'm reluctant to do it.

I suspected your thoughts on Comet might be true going on my past, not very good experiences, with them.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    fortytwo wrote: »

One other thing I forgot to post, during my searching online it mentions that unless you clear the fault the error message will keep on recurring. Is it possible that it was a spurious warning and that by going into the Service Menu I can reset the tv back to its factory setting. At least if it happened again I'd know it really means it:)

No, the set only records the instances of the error, each time the error occurs it's a brand new error.

You can clear the error records, but it wouldn't have any effect on any faults.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the set only records the instances of the error, each time the error occurs it's a brand new error.

You can clear the error records, but it wouldn't have any effect on any faults.

Fair enough, I don't really want to mess about with something I don't understand.