Radio X presenters

Comments

• pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member
    dzfootball wrote: »
    Nothing outside the usual bulletins. Scott Mills or Grimmy are not really adaptable in this way,

Moyles could easily do Talk radio even transfer to 5Live like Mayo did, but a late night talk show slot would perfect (maybe a few years down the line) .

So a commercial popular music radio breakfast show doing a better job of covering politics than the BBC music breakfast shows, is that a first.

Global radio should be applauded for this great coverage, nice to have a compromise with Moyles were big news stories are covered in a light hearted way rather than the alternatives of hard news (R4, R5, lbc) or music with it covered only in 1 min bulletins (R1).

Well done Moyles!
  • botson_is_whackbotson_is_whack Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Hmm... really getting a bit confused as to what Radio X and Moyles are trying to do now.

The breakfast show is sounding more and more out of tune with the rest of the output. Today they had the host of Big Brother on. Seriously? I can't think of what target audience would be interested in him. Earlier this week they had a West End dancer on. Both these people were total nonentities.

If they're aiming at a 25-44 year old male audience, I can tell them right now this isn't gonna work. What they're going to end up with is two things: i) separate audiences listening to the breakfast show and the rest of the station; ii) a much smaller base listening to the rest of the station because they've been alienated by the breakfast show or have switched elsewhere for breakfast (say 6 Music) and stuck with it.

Plus, of course, it's important to consider the effects of what will happen when Moyles leaves, and his audience sod off with him...
  • EPIC.PERSON.EPIC.PERSON. Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been mentioned on here that Phil Clifton is always covering the daytime shows but this next week, he's not. Vernon is on breakfast in for Moyles again while Ricky Wilson is on Monday to Friday 10:00-13:00.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been mentioned on here that Phil Clifton is always covering the daytime shows but this next week, he's not. Vernon is on breakfast in for Moyles again while Ricky Wilson is on Monday to Friday 10:00-13:00.

That wont happen often Ricky's schedule must be quiet this week
  • Michael_HardyMichael_Hardy Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've really been impressed with how Chris has handled news stories lately (Jo Cox, EU, and The Somme anniversary to name but three) It almost feels like he's in training for a job on Radio2....

I think the mixture of guests has been spot on recently. Hopefully this show in the next set of RAJAR's
    Forum Member
    I've really been impressed with how Chris has handled news stories lately (Jo Cox, EU, and The Somme anniversary to name but three) It almost feels like he's in training for a job on Radio2....

I think the mixture of guests has been spot on recently. Hopefully this show in the next set of RAJAR's

I think some people here are either getting over-excited, or don't know what good news coverage is.

I listened back to the post-EU Moyles show to see what all the fuss was about. And I was quite shocked to hear Chris and Dom in total confusion over whether the referendum result meant we were already out of the EU. At 7.30am.

I'm a fan of the show, but just wondering if it fits well with what Radio X should be about. Can I ask in what way the recent mix of guests has been 'spot on'?
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I can't get along with Vernon Kay on breakfast. I know a lot of people prefer more music, but I like to be entertained and Vernon clearly has nothing interesting or entertaining to say, even with the rest of the team there.
  • abertomabertom Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clint Boon is in for Johnny next week with Phil on at 10am in for Vernon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to radio times Freddie Flintoff is in for Johnny next Saturday
    Forum Member
    abertom wrote: »
    According to radio times Freddie Flintoff is in for Johnny next Saturday

And according to Johnny himself he mentioned it a few times on his Sat show, covering for a couple of weeks with Gavin still there as co host.
  • radio_geekyradio_geeky Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I have to say that I am enjoying this station far more than I thought I would. I expected to just tune in for Chris Moyles, and then switch over, but actually, I'm finding new shows like Johnny Vaughan, and Lliana Bird's evening show, which are both excellent shows.

The playlist is a bit repetitive (waaaay too much Noel Gallagher!) but it takes all sorts to make this world, so I'm content for now.

Hopefully they can add more variety to the playlist, but it's a good listen IMHO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross did a 7 hour show this week from 10am til 5pm and is doing a 7 hour show on Saturday as Jack is covering for D'OC. Why don't Global use some new talent like they do for Heart instead of using the same faces to cover (Phil Clifton, Jack Saunders and Ross). Although Clint Boon is covering for Johnny
  • Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,300
    Forum Member
    Ross did a 7 hour show this week from 10am til 5pm and is doing a 7 hour show on Saturday as Jack is covering for D'OC. Why don't Global use some new talent like they do for Heart instead of using the same faces to cover (Phil Clifton, Jack Saunders and Ross). Although Clint Boon is covering for Johnny

It's the same at Capital as well,
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems Chris Moyles are doing VT shows in August when his not there. There be live news with Dom during that week or two and Dom will take time off. So there won't be anyone covering.
  • mj_32510mj_32510 Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    It seems Chris Moyles are doing VT shows in August when his not there. There be live news with Dom during that week or two and Dom will take time off. So there won't be anyone covering.
    It's a couple of weeks of best of shows and a couple of weeks of Vernon covering.
  • Sophie_GreeneSophie_Greene Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That seems quite poor for a breakfast show.
    Forum Member
    mj_32510 wrote: »
    It's a couple of weeks of best of shows and a couple of weeks of Vernon covering.

He's off for 4 weeks?, since hiss two weeks at xmas he had a few days off early march, two weeks in April, 1 week May/June, 1 week July, now a month in August, so average of 1 week a month of holiday (12 per year), that's quite a contract he signed he never had more than 8 weeks off at R1.

Never heard of a breakfast show let a host have 4 weeks off in a row has this happened before?

I hope when he's back he can make it until xmas without more time off.
  • JB1601JB1601 Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    On subject of news anyone know why they've stopped using the audio bed during weekend bulletins? It cuts off after "Radio X...News" whereas at breakfast (and I presume during the day?) an audio bed kicks in. Still seems to be bespoke bulletins for X but sounds unusually formal for them without the background audio.
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »

You do contradict yourself about Dom there so it's a bit confusing, do you mean Dom will be off when Chris gets back?
    But it does sound similar to what Elvis Duran's show does in the US. When they're off they have a live cover jock just do brief links into the music with weather, but most of the show is recorded best-ofs.
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    He's off for 4 weeks?, since hiss two weeks at xmas he had a few days off early march, two weeks in April, 1 week May/June, 1 week July, now a month in August, so average of 1 week a month of holiday (12 per year), that's quite a contract he signed he never had more than 8 weeks off at R1.

Never heard of a breakfast show let a host have 4 weeks off in a row has this happened before?

I hope when he's back he can make it until xmas without more time off.

If this is all accurate, that would have him up to 40+ days' annual leave already. What kind of contract has he signed?!

I have never heard of anyone taking an entire month off. Even back in Chris Tarrant's glory days. And they should really think about letting Vaughan cover breakfast when he's away.

Let's hope for all their sakes that next week's RAJARs look good. Or trouble will be ahead...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That seems quite poor for a breakfast show.

Warren Moore at Heart Gloucester always seems to be off for at least a day or two every other week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the extra time off is in lieu of not getting paid extra to spend time recording links for Saturday or maybe a TV show is being filmed?
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the extra time off is in lieu of not getting paid extra to spend time recording links for Saturday or maybe a TV show is being filmed?

That's a pretty poor decision if true, less live Moyles at primetime weekday breakfast just so he can do a pre recorded Saturday show makes no sense.

Johnny Vaughan has less time off yet he's live 6 days a week and does a pre-recorded show on the 7th. I know Moyles and Vaughan had a history when they were in comp-etion with each other but Moyles needs to watch his back as if anything Vaughan's figures have been more impressive growing drive more than Moyles has grown breakfast, so a swap of slots is not beyond the realms of possibility. Not sure Moyles would accept that and may leave but then he'll have rejected the BBC and Global so be running out of Radio options guess he still has Absolute and Virgin/Talk to try.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mj_32510 wrote: »

I guess Vernon not available for 4 weeks of cover. He is ok to cover a week but more than that no thanks.

Vaughan should be allowed to cover or stick Dan O'connell on to play Moyles highlights.

extend Rich to 7
    7-9 Best Of Chris Moyles Show with Dan O'connell, can be more music with Moyles clips
    9 - 1 Vernon Kay (extending Kay by an hour)
    1 - 4 Phil Clifton or Jo Good
    4- 7 Johnny Vaughan

It must be that J Vaughan isnt allowed as cover in Moyles contract.

Id get Colin Murray in when he leaves Talk sport, give him 7-10 night slot that Clifton has now, with breakfast cover (how did he get on with Moyles).
    Perfect cover for Vaughan on sports show too. Clifton could be daytime cover, with weekend evening slot .
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.