Secrets & Lies (US Pace)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
Forum Member
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has been watching this ten-part series. I wasn't too keen at first but now I'm hooked and cannot wait for the finale. Who Killed Tom? I have my suspicions.....so we shall see

Comments

• naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been watching this. Has definitely improved as each episode has gone on.

Can't wait for the season finale. I have my suspicions too
    I think it was Natalie, the older daughter. We are supposed to suspect Jess & Abby, but...
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with it starting slow, but it's drawn me in.

I think the killer is either: the youngest daughter, Jess, the mother or her brother. Part of me thinks it's Ben and he's suffering a mental breakdown.
  • PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any point in watching if you've watched the Aussie original. Is it a carbon copy?
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any point in watching if you've watched the Aussie original. Is it a carbon copy?

It's different: Every new episode shifts suspicion on to a new random neighbour and the killer will be someone else.
  • PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    It's different: Every new episode shifts suspicion on to a new random neighbour and the killer will be someone else.

Thanks a million dot that. I will watch it so.😀
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive just watched the ending, brilliant series. Abc have released online video called Cornell Confidential it follows on 14 months from the finale but can't watch it in the u.k arghh anyone know a way around this?

Managed to hear it just no picture, they should really have included this in the finale and made it 2 hours.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the original Aussie series which I liked. I did feel the US re-make dragged a bit (though in some episodes they play it a little differently from the Aussie version), perhaps because I had already seen the original one. So those who haven't seen the Aussie version would probably like the US one. What I will say though is that I think the US's ending was done far, far better than the Aussie one.
    They made the younger daughter a lot more creepy and disturbed. I felt sorry for Ben but the ending also seemed to point to his need to be punished for his part in what lead to Tom's death. And I can understand that desire for redemption. Cornell's crying in the car was totally unexpected but very well done for that reason. I take my hat off to the older daughter. If a 2nd season is in the works, I wouldn't mind it. Cornell was very chilling and determined to get her 'kid' (as opposed to her 'man'). It just feels 'not right' that things should end the way it did. Good twist on the Aussie version, I think

As with the Aussie cop, I thoroughly disliked Cornell. The US detective feels like they are sucking lemons. But...
    I loved the twist the US version added to make her more human and humane than the male Aussie cop, so that in the end I really came to like her a lot. They humanised her a lot more than they did for the Aussie cop. I wonder if they changed sex because the ending would resonates better with Cornell is a female not male.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I saw the original Aussie series which I liked. I did feel the US re-make dragged a bit (though in some episodes they play it a little differently from the Aussie version), perhaps because I had already seen the original one. So those who haven't seen the Aussie version would probably like the US one. What I will say though is that I think the US's ending was done far, far better than the Aussie one.
    They made the younger daughter a lot more creepy and disturbed. I felt sorry for Ben but the ending also seemed to point to his need to be punished for his part in what lead to Tom's death. And I can understand that desire for redemption. Cornell's crying in the car was totally unexpected but very well done for that reason. I take my hat off to the older daughter. If a 2nd season is in the works, I wouldn't mind it. Cornell was very chilling and determined to get her 'kid' (as opposed to her 'man'). It just feels 'not right' that things should end the way it did. Good twist on the Aussie version, I think

As with the Aussie cop, I thoroughly disliked Cornell. The US detective feels like they are sucking lemons. But...
    I loved the twist the US version added to make her more human and humane than the male Aussie cop, so that in the end I really came to like her a lot. They humanised her a lot more than they did for the Aussie cop. I wonder if they changed sex because the ending would resonates better with Cornell is a female not male.

Thats interesting to know about the Aussie version, I also didn't like Cornell at the start but by the end she was my favorite character. They are doing a Season 2 whole new case Juliette Lewis as Cornell is the only one coming back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    Thats interesting to know about the Aussie version, I also didn't like Cornell at the start but by the end she was my favorite character. They are doing a Season 2 whole new case Juliette Lewis as Cornell is the only one coming back.

Yeah, also the Aussie ending was very conventional, concluding in the way it set to be: a conventional whodunit & case closed.

That's interesting that they are doing a season 2 with only Cornell and a whole new story. I hope Season 1 set the tone they wish to go on. Cornell could turn out to be a fascinating character to watch.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Speaking of all things Aussie, Indiana Evans who plays Natalie is Matilda Hunter from Home and Away!
  • naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the finale a lot, even if my theory turned out to be wrong. Over-thinking it again.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Not sure what to think of the ending.
    According to Cornell a major tip off was Abby's tantrum at the amusement park. If 12 year olds getting stroppy is a sign of homicidal tendencies then we're all in trouble. I have four children and three of them have passed that age. Should I be worried? It also doesn't reflect well on the acuity of Detective Cornell that a wee young girl managed to keep her off the scent for so long and Abby doesn't really come across as a precocious hypergenius.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what to think of the ending.
    According to Cornell a major tip off was Abby's tantrum at the amusement park. If 12 year olds getting stroppy is a sign of homicidal tendencies then we're all in trouble. I have four children and three of them have passed that age. Should I be worried? It also doesn't reflect well on the acuity of Detective Cornell that a wee young girl managed to keep her off the scent for so long and Abby doesn't really come across as a precocious hypergenius.

It seems you are only seeing/understanding the ending from Cornell's POV. Abby gave an imcomplete story to her family which they bought into wholeheartedly. Cornell gave the other half of story. Abby, with her tears and protestations of the incident being "an accident", she gave her family the impression that she struck Tom once and that she didn't mean to hurt him. There was also a scene of her rocking Tom and innocently pleading him to wake up.

Once Cornell realised that Ben couldn't have killed Tom, she had to retrace her steps. She went back to the crime scene and the forensics and realised a proper profile of the killer from that. She knew the killer was a young female from the type of murder crime it was and from the way the blood patterns would have landed from the kind of blows Tom's head received. She also knew that the killer struck Tom 6 times on the head - and not the once, which is what Abby claimed to her family she did to Tom. At the same time, Cornell went to speak to Abby's mum and started to accuse her of wanting Tom dead (because Cornell knew about the argument the mother had with Ben over Ben's affair and Tom), Abby came in, told Cornell to leave her mum alone, and confessed that she heard her parents arguing about Tom. So Cornell had additional info to make her think Abby had a reason to kill Tom: Abby hated Ben and her mother arguing over the affair and Tom, hated Lisa, and hated Tom as a result. In her warped head, killing Tom solved everything - Tom become the focus of all her anger and rage, particularly toward Lisa. So on the night of the fair (Abby saw what she thought was Lisa flirting with her Dad), one final piece of the puzzle fell into place for Cornell: Not only did she only know that Abby did it but she also saw in Abby a rage that explained why she violently hit Tom 6 times with the torch.

Finally in the car scene, the audience get to see just how deeply disturbed Abby is. Cornell knew that the crime was committed by a female because of the kind of method used: the killer wanted to drown the victim but for some reason found it impossible to do. Abby, in the car with her mum, creepily confessed that if only she had taken Tom to the river none of these problems would be happening to them. Abby is more disturbed than even her parents think. Cornell realises this only too late in the game. And for all that, it does turn Abby into a creepy young character who knows what she did and why she did and is very good at hiding that fact by dint of being a young 'innocent' child.

I would admit that Cornell probably should have known Ben couldn't have killed Tom (and that the killer was originally a female,from the get-go) but in her defence she was only following the trail of evidence that seemed to point to Ben's guilt.

ETA: The above is the best I can remember from the last two episodes.