Options

Humax FVP-4000T Triple Tuner

Comments

• Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    coming from the T2 the 4000T is a bit of a step backward.

It is a bitter disappointment that there has been no improvement, incorporating "lessons learned", on Freeview PVRs introduced 3-4 years ago. The concept of "user friendly" seems to have been dropped entirely.

I would be gutted to have to buy a new model now >:(
  • Options
    ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plus points for the 4000T are the triple tuner and the ability to integrate it with the new H3 streamer. Those issues aside, if stability or ease of use are selection criteria, then a Panasonic FreeviewHD PVR might be a better bet. That said, there's now very little in the way of Freeview PVRs on the market, so your choice is pretty limited. Humax do still offer the older 1800T/2000T boxes, but they don't have the catch-up services, so if that's a requirement you'd need to supplement that with more hardware, something like a NowTV box might suit. I own an 1800T PVR, but it took me three goes to get a working sample. It does do a good job making recordings and sorting-out EPG changes that my Panasonic box didn't deal with, but I frequently get 'broken' recordings, where it reports a loss of signal, and I'm not sure why that is. I suspect that it's intolerant of signal glitches. However, something like an 1800T PVR plus NowTV box would work out cheaper than either the 4000T or the latest Panasonic PVRs.

Clem
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clem wrote: »

...then a Panasonic FreeviewHD PVR might be a better bet.

...my Panasonic box...

...the latest Panasonic PVRs.

Clem

How weird! In your post those were all links to an SD card on Amazon MarketPlace - but now they're not :confused:
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Still wary of buying this for my in-laws for Christmas given all the negative reviews around online. I think they'd appreciate being able to acccess iPlayer etc so a 2000T isn't an option and given the questions over the future of Youview I'd be wary of picking up one of those boxes. The Panasonic has the outdated interface and I think they'd occasionally make use of more than two tuners so the 4000T would seem to be the way to go. Just reading all the comments of having to regularly reboot it, recordings or showing up / going missing and it being very sluggish have made me very unsure about buying one for them. They're not that old but I don't want to make their viewing difficult! Am I right to still be wary? Have the most recent upgrades improved matters? They'd be coming from an old Top Up TV recorder so their expectations won't be that high, but it's got to fundamentally work and be reliable! Thanks.

Buying this for your in-laws for Christmas you say! :o Are you Rockefeller or someone similar? A bottle of port, a voucher or socks is our usual gift and that's when we're being generous. No wonder folk get into so much debt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    We had a Humax PVR for many years and were very pleased with it but as it was coming to the end of its natural life we changed it for the 4000T just under 12 months ago when we upgraded our TV.
    We have been so disappointed with it! Whilst we appreciate the new technology may have teething troubles this thing seems to have a mind of its own and works whichever way it wants whenever it wants to.
    We've updated software as required and Humax themselves seem unable to offer any logical explanation as to why it has so many problems.
    Another software update is promised for the end of November but we now have little faith in Humax.
    No way would we now recommend the company or this product to others.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Buying this for your in-laws for Christmas you say! :o Are you Rockefeller or someone similar? A bottle of port, a voucher or socks is our usual gift and that's when we're being generous. No wonder folk get into so much debt.

It's all relative............Because you struggle to buy a decent present for someone it doesn't follow that someone who can spend more is wrong. £180 is hardly Rockefeller territory, but as I said, it's all relative.....;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all relative............Because you struggle to buy a decent present for someone it doesn't follow that someone who can spend more is wrong. £180 is hardly Rockefeller territory, but as I said, it's all relative.....;-)

I don't struggle, I could buy them a brand new car if I so choose. However, I think Christmas is simply a rip off, hijacked long ago by large business interests as a way of generating more profit.

TBH when you get older there is very little you either want or need. My wife has already asked me what I want. My reply - I have got just about every gadget under the sun, nothing needs replacing, my wardrobe is full of clothes, so nothing is the answer. When I asked her what she wanted - same answer. We are therefore just going out for a meal.

There's an article in today's news stating the amount of personal debt for UK citizens - shocking figures.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    crowncd wrote: »
    We have been so disappointed with it! Whilst we appreciate the new technology may have teething troubles this thing seems to have a mind of its own and works whichever way it wants whenever it wants to.

As a dealer we've stopped stocking the 4000T, it's been FAR too much trouble.

Historically Humax have always been EXTREMELY slow with software updates, and their updates generally have caused more problems than they cured - eventually they seem to get things sorted out, but it's usually a case of years rather than months.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Historically Humax have always been EXTREMELY slow with software updates, and their updates generally have caused more problems than they cured - eventually they seem to get things sorted out, but it's usually a case of years rather than months.

They don't seem to learn though do they. They have just released a streaming device to link to the 4000T and that too appears unfinished with users already reporting streaming issues.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH when you get older there is very little you either want or need. My wife has already asked me what I want. My reply - I have got just about every gadget under the sun, nothing needs replacing, my wardrobe is full of clothes, so nothing is the answer.
    If you know your Goethe, you would realise that how's the time for Mephistopheles to claim your soul:
    If ever I to the moment shall say:
    Beautiful moment, do not pass away!
    Then you may forge your chains to bind me,
    Then I will put my life behind me,
    Then let them hear my death-knell toll,
    Then from your labours you'll be free,
    The clock may stop, the clock-hands fall,
    And time come to an end for me!
    IOW, once you have all you want or need, it's time for you to shuffle off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They don't seem to learn though do they.

Unfortunately not :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Max Demian wrote: »
    IOW, once you have all you want or need, it's time for you to shuffle off.

Well that's certainly what government would like people to do i.e. once they are no longer active in the labour market then please just go away and die and save us all some money.

However, I enjoy my life far too much, so sorry Mrs May. I feel you are equating life's enjoyment to material possessions. Finding pleasure in nature and the spiritual side of life is far more rewarding to the transient pleasure of buying things. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is always and will always be more tech to buy............:D
    What else would you be doing with your money? There are no pockets in shrouds.....;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

As soon as they get one working they replace it with something that takes at least 3 updates to become as good as it's predecessor and 6 updates to show any improvement.
    I'd have thought that with all the negative experiences that can be found on the web, they would speed up the improvements on this.
    That said, I think that they'll muck about for another 6 months or so and then announce something new.....and let the 4000T fade into the sunset...This is certainly a pig in poke
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather OT - but as it happens it'll be a combined Christmas gift from myself, my wife, brother in law and his girlfriend along with being a partial birthday present. It is more than we might otherwise spend but it's about getting them something they'll appreciate and use rather than some item that meets a specific price threshold, even though there is an upper limit. For reasons I won't go in to my in laws have had a rough year and deserve a treat. We are all very careful with our spending and none of us spend more than we can afford, we all realise there are things more important than money or possessions, at the same time there is no law against having nice things. None of us will be getting in to debt to buy this or any other Christmas present. So don't lump us in with those who are reckless and spend regardless of what they can afford.

Thanks to those who've explained their experiences, I'm in as much of a dilemma as when I started about which recorder to get them (if that's the present we decide to go for).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You don't need to justify your spending. It has nothing to do with anyone else.
    Good luck with your choice and despite my (personal) moans about the 4000T, it may suit your parents needs with the 3 tuners (which is a big plus). As I said previously, coming from an old PVR they may not have the same issues with the box...My Brother in law has one and loves it as it's his first one..
    If you buy from somewhere like Argos, returning it is a breeze should it not work out....;-)
  • Options
    Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Humax FVP4000T 2TB version and find it far exceeds my expectations in everything it does. The interface is quite good when you get used to it - could be quicker I suppose but not really a problem.

Catch-up, series recording streaming and downloading SD content all faultless - personally think this is a great piece of kit for the money.

I especially like the App which allows streaming/downloading to anywhere within range of my WiFi to any device.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Y Me wrote: »
    I have the Humax FVP4000T 2TB version and find it far exceeds my expectations in everything it does.

I'm glad someone is happy with them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Y Me wrote: »
    I have the Humax FVP4000T 2TB version and find it far exceeds my expectations in everything it does. The interface is quite good when you get used to it - could be quicker I suppose but not really a problem.

Catch-up, series recording streaming and downloading SD content all faultless - personally think this is a great piece of kit for the money.

I especially like the App which allows streaming/downloading to anywhere within range of my WiFi to any device.

I suppose it would depend on what you had previously. As it's predecessor was better at most of the functions, moving to the FVP4000T from it was bound to cause dissatisfaction and show up all it's failings.
  • Options
    coelacanthcoelacanth Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Count me a happy customer too. Since the failure to reboot whilst recording glitch has been sorted I've had no difficulty with mine at all. Don't do anything fancy with streaming or android etc., and the EPG could be faster to load and search through, but very pleased with it as the main family box.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now with improved software available from the following link if you can't wait for it to be delivered via its internet connection
    http://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?product_id=70&curr_page=sw_release

Edit:
    Some discussion started here
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-fvp-4000t-software-version-10157#post-55489
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder what the problem is with introducing folders into the recordings and giving a one press information facility? Seems that they are ignoring some of the issues users want. Nothing in this update, apart from the stability improvement, that stands out...
    Another wasted opportunity...
  • Options
    wwehbkwwehbk Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I wonder what the problem is with introducing folders into the recordings and giving a one press information facility? Seems that they are ignoring some of the issues users want. Nothing in this update, apart from the stability improvement, that stands out...
    Another wasted opportunity...

Am I wrong don't it create folders when do series recording
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wwehbk wrote: »
    Am I wrong don't it create folders when do series recording

No you are not wrong. However, you cannot create your own folders or add to the series folders. For example make a new folder and call it 'Films', then move all your recorded films into it.
    It's basic schoolboy stuff that they had in older machines but find it difficult to implement in the newer slower machines.
  • Options
    PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lot of probs with the one we had. Humax took 3 weeks to reply to an e-mail and you wait ages to get through on the phone.

AVOID.