Options

Connect DVDRW to TV & PVR?

I posted this question on the DVR forum but still unsure....

Can I buy a DVDRW that I can hook up to my PVR Digifusion 100 so I can burn recordings to DVD?

I would record to the hard disk on my pvr but would like the option to then burn stuff to DVD.

Would the DVDRW 'see' my pvr so I can dump stuff to DVD?

Any help much appreciated?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you connect the DVDRW to the PVR with Scart leads, then it will "see" your PVR just as it would a VCR, Sky Digibox or any other AV equipment. For the best recording from PVR to DVD, output the recording in RGB and then record onto DVD using the RGB input on the DVDRW. This should give you a good crisp picture, so long as you do not max out the compression on the PVR!

All recordings will, of course, be "on the fly" in that a one hour programme will take one hour to trasnfer, two hour takes two etc.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scarts....

TV - PVR - DVD Recorder

The PVR has 2 scarts to allow this to work. You need to press the correct button on the DVD Recorder to allow to record from scart - often called AV INPUT, LINE IN, or similar - see book.

Another question.
    What about the aerial cord hook up. Should the PVR still be 1st on the wire, or should the DVD Recorder be the 1st? Both digital devices you see, so which way round?

Dave
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote:
    Another question.
    What about the aerial cord hook up. Should the PVR still be 1st on the wire, or should the DVD Recorder be the 1st? Both digital devices you see, so which way round?

Dave
    Can't see that it matters one way or the other. The main thing that you will have to be carefull about is what if any RF modulators the two devices have and what channels they are set to.

Some equipment does affect the aerial signal through the unit. I had a VCR years ago with a High Low switch next to the aerial socket which attenuated everything coming out the RF out socket! Obviously not ideal in a poor signal area!

The only way to really determine which is best is good old fashioned trial and error. Alternatively if you are never going to use the RF modulators in the various bits of kit get a multi-output amp and feed each item seperately.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of having a Freeview enabled DVD recorder along side my Freeview PVR. Digital signals can be a bit touchy to say the least. Both need a clean freeview signal, but one will be dasiy chained on the rf (aerial wire).

Dave
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sony STB I've got certainly appears to pass through the RF signal with minimal degredation in my experience. I have used the RF out on it to feed the Panasonic STB I keep hooked up to my DVD recorder with no problems. I wasn't aware of any significant differences between hooking them up that way and how they are now using two outputs of a multi-way booster to feed them seperately, (same booster in use in both hook ups just re-wired slightly differently).

Signal strength and quality readings on the boxes don't appear any different. I don't notice any increase/decrease in side effects like picture break-up with either method.

Obviously using different equipment may have different results. But any decent equipment ought to pass through the RF signal with minimal disruption. But as I say you could eliminate any potential problems by using a multi-way amp. There are models with variable gain which might be more suitable in strong signal areas to avoid overloading the tuner stages.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for posting!!!

It's all a bit over my head but I am starting to think that a combi DVDRW/HDD is the simplest way to go. I am also dreaming of an Elonex Exentia for the bedroom.

I can dream?