My thought about Utopia

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
Forum Member
This thought crossed my mind the other day so it's just me speculating and I may be completly wrong but in the episode Utopia we never actually found out where that signal was coming from and who was sending it, the signal that Yana picked up on his computer, ''the call came from across the stars,over and over again come to Utopia''. Maybe this message was from the timelords, the same timelords that show up in the Xmas specials. It could be another wibbely wobbely situation. Utopia could have been the place where the surviving timelords were because from what I gather of the Xmas episodes, the plotline is basically about ''the end of time itself'' and Utopia was the place Yana was trying to get to in order to escape the collapse of reality and time itself. They may just be two completly seperate things but like I said it could be another wibbely wobbely timey wimey situation.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I was under the impression it was the regenerated Master, returned to the end of the universe in the Doctors TARDIS, set it up so the humans went there and were turned into Toclafane
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Mass09 wrote: »
    I was under the impression it was the regenerated Master, returned to the end of the universe in the Doctors TARDIS, set it up so the humans went there and were turned into Toclafane

Me too, it was a call for surviving humans to gather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    prking wrote: »
    Me too, it was a call for surviving humans to gather.

Ah right so i was wrong lol:o
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Ah right so i was wrong lol:o

i think you may be right actually. the master + tardis could only go to the year 100trillion, and the utopia project was supposed to have been set up waay before then.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Master went to Utopia (in the Doctors TARDIS) and even took along Lucy Saxon but there's been no evidence to say that he was the one who first set the message up.
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Could the message have been, like the sound of drums, a product of Yana's own mind?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the message have been, like the sound of drums, a product of Yana's own mind?

Well the last of humanity was gathering there (and turning themselves into Toclafane) so a bit of a co-incidence if Yana had an imaginary message in his head that gave the real co-ordinates for the last gathering of mankind.

In other words no the message was not a product of the Yana's mind.
  • Counting.No.AgeCounting.No.Age Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    i was thinking more along the master lines but well...
    ... the master + tardis could only go to the year 100trillion, and the utopia project was supposed to have been set up waay before then.

interesting theory. or it could just be one of those things :( much more fun if it's not though.
  • mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mass09 wrote: »

Yes...I agree
  • mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Well the last of humanity was gathering there (and turning themselves into Toclafane) so a bit of a co-incidence if Yana had an imaginary message in his head that gave the real co-ordinates for the last gathering of mankind.

Aaah yes, but isn't Yana actually the master ? So surely he had a memory of his plans and his sobconciousness was nagging at him to go to Utopia so he can carry out his plan ?

I'm wrong about a lot of things, I'm sure this is another! XD

...Or maybe even the watch he had ? The doctor's spoke to people telling them NOT to open it so surely it could tell Yana to go to Utopia ? Hmm...just a thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikkyh wrote: »
    Aaah yes, but isn't Yana actually the master ? So surely he had a memory of his plans and his sobconciousness was nagging at him to go to Utopia so he can carry out his plan ?

I'm wrong about a lot of things, I'm sure this is another! XD

...Or maybe even the watch he had ? The doctor's spoke to people telling them NOT to open it so surely it could tell Yana to go to Utopia ? Hmm...just a thought.

So you're saying the Master fled from the Time War went to the end of the Universe, set up a plan to gather all of humanity in one place (for some reason) and then turned himself into a human?

I can't see it myself.

One reason being that at the end of Utopia we see the Master picking up the disc with the co-ordinates of Utopia on it. Would he need this if he was the one who had set Utopia up in the first place, surely he would know where it was?
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »

Bear in mind none of what I say is coming from a recent, let alone studious viewing of Utopia, but wasn't humanity gathering there because Yana told them to? I was under the impression that if it wasn't for Yana none of it would be happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bear in mind none of what I say is coming from a recent, let alone studious viewing of Utopia, but wasn't humanity gathering there because Yana told them to? I was under the impression that if it wasn't for Yana none of it would be happening.

Yana was trying to get one group (who had taken refuge on Malcassairo) to Utopia but the message to gather there had been going out for hundreds (if not thousands) of years, people from all over the Universe would have been travelling there.
    THE DOCTOR:
    And Utopia is…
    YANA:
    Oh, every human knows of Utopia. Where have you been?
    THE DOCTOR:
    Bit of a hermit.
    YANA:
    A hermit with friends?
    THE DOCTOR:
    Hermits United. We meet up every ten years. Swap stories about caves. It’s good fun…for a hermit. So, um, Utopia?

YANA:
    The call came from across the stars over and over again. Come to Utopia. Originated from that point.
    THE DOCTOR:
    Where is that?
    YANA:
    Oh, it’s far beyond the Condensate Wilderness. Out towards the wildlands and the dark matter reefs. Calling us in. The last of the humans. Scattered across the night.
    THE DOCTOR:
    What do you think’s out there?
    YANA:
    I don’t know. A colony, a city, some sort of haven? The Science Foundation created the Utopia Project thousands of years ago to preserve mankind—to find a way of surviving beyond the collapse of reality itself. Now perhaps they found it. Perhaps not. But it’s worth a look, don’t you think?
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was the Master who sent the signal. Remember in LOTTL he tells the Doctor that when he went to the end of the universe with Lucy he found the last of humanity being savaged by machines. He liberated them.