Options

What Happens To Andy Murray If Scotland Gets Independence?

Melissa.Melissa. Posts: 1,431
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will his grand Slam titles still be with England? Or Scotland? :)

Comments

• Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    It was never with England. His wins were for Great Britain as he was competing for GB at the time, they stay as GB wins. If Scotland votes yes, Andy would compete for Scotland in the future.

Perhaps this English attitude is why some Scots want to break away, that and the near constant reminders of England's only World Cup win.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Yes he's the British no. 1 and his titles would remain as titles of a British player. He could choose to stay as British no. 1, I assume, and that would set the cat among the pigeons! :D
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I think he has said that he is pro UK but would compete for Scotland in the event if a yes vote.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melissa. wrote: »

This is a wind up post surely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a wind up post surely

Not at all! Just wondered. :confused:

Thank you for the mature replies everyone else. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    It was never with England. His wins were for Great Britain as he was competing for GB at the time, they stay as GB wins. If Scotland votes yes, Andy would compete for Scotland in the future.

Perhaps this English attitude is why some Scots want to break away, that and the near constant reminders of England's only World Cup win.

So if he were to win another grand Slam, it would be for Scotland. (If they get independence)

All his achievements prior will still be with GB though.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if he were to win another grand Slam, it would be for Scotland. (If they get independence)

All his achievements prior will still be with GB though.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Tennis like most individual sports you compete for yourself, yes you are from the UK, Switzerland, Croatia etc. but you compete in major tournaments as an individual. Andy Murray only competes for GB in the Davis Cup and for Team GB in the Olympics.

But yes if Scotland goes its own way the little flag next to his name on the captions at a Grand Slam will be the Scottish flag.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all! Just wondered. :confused:

Thank you for the mature replies everyone else. :)

I am at a loss though as to your logic

Did you honestly think Andy Murray represented England ? Hence your question ?

Sorry if you think me not being mature but where on earth does England come into it ?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So........when he used to get knocked out in the quarter finals he was Scottish

For the couple of years that he won things he was British

Now his career is on the slide he's Scottish again

what a bummer.......:p
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    Yeah, he was British when he won the slams, so the two he won will always go down as being won by a British player, whatever happens with Scotland's future. It's a simple technicality in that sense.

Not just tennis. Whenever people will look back at great/famous British inventors, scientists, soldiers, etc over the centuries they won't suddenly discount all the Scottish ones because Scotland left that union 100 years later or whatever.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Yeah, he was British when he won the slams, so the two he won will always go down as being won by a British player, whatever happens with Scotland's future. It's a simple technicality in that sense.

Not just tennis. Whenever people will look back at great/famous British inventors, scientists, soldiers, etc over the centuries they won't suddenly discount all the Scottish ones because Scotland left that union 100 years later or whatever.

Just as well otherwise we'll be talking about how many years since Fred Perry won Wimbledon again, and with no UK player in contention for the next few years at least.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They were never with England. He represents GB. Should Scotland vote 'yes' then he will represent Scotland.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please don't leave us Scotland, we'll be shit at tennis without you.

(plus we'll have no chance of ever getting rid of the effing Tories)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Please don't leave us Scotland, we'll be shit at tennis without you.

(plus we'll have no chance of ever getting rid of the effing Tories)

Great that Cameron has correctly renamed his party the "Effing Tories".
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

Near constant reminders? What a weird thing to comment on.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    The title of this thread doesn't quite tally to the question asked by OP.

Nothing happens to Andy Murray if Scotland votes for independence, he's still the same person.

:)
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »

Indeed. Andy's achievements ought not to suddenly be forgotten down south, and he shouldn't suddenly be treated by press and public down south as just another competitor at Wimbledon the way all the other competitors from mainland Europe are treated if the Yes vote wins on Thursday.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on where he lives.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    It depends on where he lives.

why ?

do british crowds at Silverstone support lewis Hamilton any differently because he lives in Monaco ?
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    It does seem Murray gets unfair stick in the Scotland vs Great Britain debate.
    Have seen very little negative comment on Rory McIIroy saying despite being from Northern Ireland he will represent the Republic of Ireland at golf in the 2016 Rio Olympics rather than Great Britain & NI. I presume golf like cricket and rugby union is played on a whole Ireland basis rather than football's NI and Republic so dividing by country.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray will still live in Surrey!

What is interesting is who inherits Great Britain's Davis Cup ranking points and world group place if they are still there in 2016-17 and the Scots go independent

Will Scotland have to enter DC via Euro African group zone 5 (or whatever the lowest tier is) - or get equivalent points to Team England, Wales and NI?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    What is interesting is who inherits Great Britain's Davis Cup ranking points and world group place if they are still there in 2016-17 and the Scots go independent

Will Scotland have to enter DC via Euro African group zone 5 (or whatever the lowest tier is) - or get equivalent points to Team England, Wales and NI?

Good point. Presumably it would stay with GB given that the UK as an entity still exists, it's just that Scotland would have left.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    He'll have to play in a kilt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Andy Murray will still live in Surrey!

I believe there is actually quite a complicated answer to this involving many variables, including who the previous players will now be playing for.

Someone did write some sort of explanation, the details of which I forget, but it certainly wasn't as simple as which is the biggest / most populous part after a break up or who was breaking from who. I believe that Davis Cup guidelines exist, because of such precedents as all the Balkan splits and the Czech Republic / Slovakia.

I would guess Andy would play for Scotland. I certainly have never thought him as anti English in the way he was unfairly portrayed a few years ago. But he is by birth a Scot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    And yes, I'm as unionist as they come, will be voting NO and would be personally appalled by a YES vote for so many reasons.

But folk mixing up "the UK" with "England" has always irritated me, irritated most Scots and no doubt Welsh and Northern Irish. England does not constitutionally exist as an independent state. No wonder foreigners get it wrong when folk on this island so often interchange UK, Britain and England. We live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So can I ask everyone please to refrain from any of this inaccuracy over the next few days. You never know what could be the tipping point for another YES vote And if you think it is trivial, don't let be get started on trivial reasons I've heard for voting YES