Options

Golf: Ryder Cup 2014 Official Thread!!

Comments

• Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    He has had a decent season but it really pales into comparison with Bernhard Langer form this year, that being similar but even better than the 6 years before 2014.
    The guys round consistency is quite amazing and why he keeps putting in decent performances at majors too.

In 4 balls Langers consistency would make him a perfect pard. Other choices are far too inconsistent.
    I could not pick Donald, Poulter maybe ,have my doubts about Westwood and am unfamiliar with MacDowell. 2014 form.

Lets hope common sense prevails and Langer plays, though I am a bit surprised that he has such big enemies. The team really does need his maturity and consistency.

McDowell's played in 10 European tour sanctioned events this season, won 1 and had 5 other top 10's. Don't know why you mention him anyway as he's qualified. His form has been very good since June.

Langer? This is the Ryder Cup thread. The fishing thread is on page 3.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking langer has a chance of a pick is just being silly
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame for Gallacher. I was willing him to do it.
    I'd be astonished if he gets a pick now though he certainly deserves one.
    Westwood would miss out for me. I reckon Donald has more of an aura about him for the Americans than Westwood does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    What a shame for Gallacher. I was willing him to do it.
    I'd be astonished if he gets a pick now though he certainly deserves one.
    Westwood would miss out for me. I reckon Donald has more of an aura about him for the Americans than Westwood does.

Agree as I said earlier do think Donald, Westwood, poulter will all be picked and experience is needed line will be used
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    ...I reckon Donald has more of an aura about him for the Americans than Westwood does.

Donald had a supreme consistent spell whilst still being a plodder. The problem is that now he is consistent in being well behind, often lucky just to make cuts.

I really can't quite see any aura for him now. Unless carrying injury I guess his peak has passed.
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my 3 picks would be

Gallagher no brainier he is from Scotland
    Donald good match play player
    poulter well in a crucial moment poulter would be my man

anyone think about wisberger as a pick
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,587
    Forum Member
    If anyone is lucky enough to have a ticket for Gleneagles, try and get close to the 14th green It is a drivable par 4 so should be plenty of eagles and dropped shots
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the 3 picks will be Gallacher, Poulter and Donald. Had to flip a coin between Donald and Westwood for the last spot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    I'm guessing the 3 picks will be Gallacher, Poulter and Donald. Had to flip a coin between Donald and Westwood for the last spot.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Not confident though. Have a feeling McGinley will make the 'easy' decision.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    As expected and I'm really pleased that Stephen was picked. I feel sorry for Luke but he can't really complain as his form has been poor recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gallagher, Poulter and Westwood.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Gallagher, Poulter and Westwood.

I always thought Poulter was a shoe in, prob Westwood too but I wasn't sure who the other pick would be between Gallagher & Donald. Donald has a very good Ryder Cup record but his form for quite a while has been pretty poor whereas Gallagher has been in good form.

Can't really knock them picks to be fair, shame for Luke & Francesco but their recent form has not been good at all.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has got to be the right choice leaving Donald out.

He seems to have worked so much on his shortcomings in his game that he has neglected the parts that made him number one. He was the best chipper and putter for a good few years and the rest of his game was simply steady (it didn't need to be any better) - now everything is slightly off including those 2 trump cards.

Deep down he will realise that this is a transitional period for his game ...
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gallagher and Poulter were the shoe ins.

Only the 3rd place was the wild card choice and the 'sometimes hot' Westwood can contribute, especially in 4 balls.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    Has got to be the right choice leaving Donald out.

He seems to have worked so much on his shortcomings in his game that he has neglected the parts that made him number one. He was the best chipper and putter for a good few years and the rest of his game was simply steady (it didn't need to be any better) - now everything is slightly off including those 2 trump cards.

Deep down he will realise that this is a transitional period for his game ...

That's probably what David Duval thought as well...
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Watson has announced his 3 picks

Keegan Bradley
    Webb Simpson
    Hunter Mahan

No surprises there I don't think

Just saw that Sky are changing SS4 to the Ryder Cup Channel for 2 weeks around the contest

I like a bit of analysis but 2 weeks for a 3 day tournament :o
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    Tom Watson has announced his 3 picks

Keegan Bradley
    Webb Simpson
    Hunter Mahan

No surprises there I don't think

Just saw that Sky are changing SS4 to the Ryder Cup Channel for 2 weeks around the contest

I like a bit of analysis but 2 weeks for a 3 day tournament :o

SS4 is virtually the golf channel anyway (as was SS2 for cricket before it was changed to SS Ashes) so I don't think it will make much difference to most people. I presume they do it to encourage people who don't have Sky Sports to subscribe for one month and to reassure them that the coverage will not jump about the channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it three rookies in the 12 seems a lot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Is it three rookies in the 12 seems a lot

Yes, 3.

Europe had 6 in 2010 I think.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    No idea where to put this as there seems to be no dedicated golf thread but is this a bit of a fluke for rory or what!

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-12/rory-mcilroy-hits-golf-ball-into-fans-pocket-in-fluke-shot/
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Billy Horschel's victory I bet Tom Watson wishes he could repick his wildcards. Has the US tour winner (non Americans excepted) ever missed out on the Ryder Cup team before?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    With Billy Horschel's victory I bet Tom Watson wishes he could repick his wildcards. Has the US tour winner (non Americans excepted) ever missed out on the Ryder Cup team before?

I haven't looked too closely but Hal Sutton definitely missed out in 1983.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying this poulter documentary on sky sports just now
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see a thread. I looked the other day and didn't see it.

All the best Europe. The atmosphere down there is brilliant. Weather looking good.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting a bit bored with it already and it hasn't started yet

The constant adverts on Sky and Radio 5 are driving me potty.......:o