Options

dvd discs problems help needed?

emailsemails Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
i am having some big issues with my dvd discs .i am using VERTIBUM discs which i am assuming is the best on the market. they are being used to record programmes from the telly using a LG HD DVD RECORDER . now normally about 80% of the time i can record on to dvd with no major issues,but sometimes like now ,nearly every other disc i have used has saved a programme onto disc .then when i have gone away & mayby come back at a later date put the disc into the machine & i get this UNKNOWN DISC . thats it all my data gone. >:(>:(can this be resloved ? is there an anser to this? do i need better discs? or a machine? i am so fed up with this having to re-do & re-do all the work over & over again>:(can anyone help? dvd cleaners have been used but clearly not working.

Comments

• Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verbatim certainly used to use at least two different suppliers - one was OK, but the other wasn't so good. Anyway, the best disks available are ones that are made by Taiyo Yuden - you can find them online at places like svp.co.uk where they list the maker of the dye. JVC disks disks for example. https://www.svp.co.uk/jvc-16x-branded-dvd-r-premium-gold-packs-of-25.html
    These are made using Taiyo Yuden dye and are about the best you can get - but check that dvd-r is compatible with your machine. And make sure that you finalise the disks after recording - I don't know if your machine does that automatically or not.

If these disks give the same problem, then I suspect your machine is dying.
  • Options
    fw750xfw750x Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Before you do anything emails,Have you checked your HDD on the LG ? It is easy to mix up the destination to which you are recording too.Perhaps the programmes have went to the Hard Disc Drive instead of your DvD Discs.Just because you have a disc in the Disc Drive it will not automatically record to the DvD Disc,I have done this myself a couple of times.Cheers Francis
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought a pack of 10 verbatim dvd + r discs from asda and 9 failed. I thought my dvd recorder was at fault but bought some polaroid discs and they worked perfect.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could also be the fact that the laser is either dirty or wearing out. Dirt is easy to fix. Ideally you would open the recorder up and gently wipe the laser with a very lightly dampened cotton bud. Or use a laser cleaning disk if you don't fancy lifting the lid.

A worn out laser is less easy to fix. Only a replacement assembly will do the job. But lasers do lose power over time and eventually they get to a point where they simply don't produce enough power to reliably burn data onto the disk. And sometime after that they stop reading disks as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    Verbatim certainly used to use at least two different suppliers - one was OK, but the other wasn't so good. Anyway, the best disks available are ones that are made by Taiyo Yuden - you can find them online at places like svp.co.uk where they list the maker of the dye. JVC disks disks for example. https://www.svp.co.uk/jvc-16x-branded-dvd-r-premium-gold-packs-of-25.html
    These are made using Taiyo Yuden dye and are about the best you can get - but check that dvd-r is compatible with your machine. And make sure that you finalise the disks after recording - I don't know if your machine does that automatically or not.

If these disks give the same problem, then I suspect your machine is dying.

hi there ,yes i may give that a try ,though someone has sudjested i try RW disc rather than the R types as they may work better. a dying machine now is not an option,i could afford to replace it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fw750x wrote: »
    Before you do anything emails,Have you checked your HDD on the LG ? It is easy to mix up the destination to which you are recording too.Perhaps the programmes have went to the Hard Disc Drive instead of your DvD Discs.Just because you have a disc in the Disc Drive it will not automatically record to the DvD Disc,I have done this myself a couple of times.Cheers Francis

if i can acess the hard drive i will look at it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought a pack of 10 verbatim dvd + r discs from asda and 9 failed. I thought my dvd recorder was at fault but bought some polaroid discs and they worked perfect.

& i think thats whats so annoying
  • Options
    fw750xfw750x Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Hi emails if you press DRIVE SELECT on the remote you will get HHD or DISC.i HAVE 2 DvD Recorders and always use +RW Discs ,I have tried +R Discs and _ R Discs and had nothing but problems with them.It should say on the front of the DVD Recorder which type of Discs it can use it will be _R _ RW or +R +RW Or even both types.Or if you still have the Manual it will say in that.I use Tesco +RW Discs and have yet to have one fail on me and i have used hundreds of them.Cheers Francis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fw750x wrote: »
    Hi emails if you press DRIVE SELECT on the remote you will get HHD or DISC.i HAVE 2 DvD Recorders and always use +RW Discs ,I have tried +R Discs and _ R Discs and had nothing but problems with them.It should say on the front of the DVD Recorder which type of Discs it can use it will be _R _ RW or +R +RW Or even both types.Or if you still have the Manual it will say in that.I use Tesco +RW Discs and have yet to have one fail on me and i have used hundreds of them.Cheers Francis

ok thanks for that ,i will get RW discs tomorrow & have a look for the disc drive/hard drive on the dvd machine. thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    am trying the new RW discs now & at the moment touch wood it is working :)