Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    My Talk Talk bill could be as follows:

Line Rental - £16.70
    Fibre - £5.00
    Youview, Calls and Broadband - £19.00
    Broadcasting Levy - £10.00
    Total - £45.70 (I've taken out Fibre as not everyone would need that)

Quite straight forward really.

How do you know the broadcasting levy will be a tenner? You should know how things work in this country by now, make it so people have to pay it and then stick the price up.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    How many more times do you have to be told, the TV Licence is to receive live broadcasts, you pay the TV Licencing Authority the same as you pay the DVLA for a driving licence it doesn't mean the money is spent on speed cameras.

How the money is distributed is decided by the government of the day.

Not the point at the end of the day.
    If I am going to pay £140 a year on something then i want to get the value out of it and to be honest I can not see the value in it, even with all the other channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I don't know if you were breaking the law.

So in two days you found not one BBC programme to watch... I find that hard to believe.

I never said i could not find anything to watch, I am sure i could find something if i really looked, but is it really worth the money, seeing what is on I do not think it is and I made a huge mistake, I have no idea what I was thinking off.

Maybe it was the thought of that motor racing on Motor TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Assuming you are not being an attention seeker with this then surely youi would have been quite familiar with the programmes on offer from the BBC before you took the bold move of decideding to be a law adiding citizen instead of a leech.

As another poster has said I find it VERY doubtful that you couldn't find anything to watch in 2 days.

Thank you for applying to pay for your TV Licence by Monthly Direct Debit. This email is to confirm that the application has been successful, the initial payment of GBP24.25 has been processed and that you are licensed.
    The TV Licence number is xxxxxxxxxx.
    Within 3 working days you will receive a further email from us with the information you will need to access your payment plan and TV Licence online.
    If you receive any letters asking you to buy a TV Licence in the next few days, please ignore them.
    TV Licensing

Just a little bit of proof that I did buy a Tv licence, On Thursday i got that, I did not touch TV at all on Friday and i only looked on Thursday just to put the PVR in place.

As I said above, i think the excitement of seeing so much motor racing on Motors TV, fiddled around in my head and made me lose all sense.
    Thankfully it is easy enough to cancel again.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Thank you for applying to pay for your TV Licence by Monthly Direct Debit. This email is to confirm that the application has been successful, the initial payment of GBP24.25 has been processed and that you are licensed.
    The TV Licence number is xxxxxxxxxx.
    Within 3 working days you will receive a further email from us with the information you will need to access your payment plan and TV Licence online.
    If you receive any letters asking you to buy a TV Licence in the next few days, please ignore them.
    TV Licensing

Just a little bit of proof that I did buy a Tv licence, On Thursday i got that, I did not touch TV at all on Friday and i only looked on Thursday just to put the PVR in place.

As I said above, i think the excitement of seeing so much motor racing on Motors TV, fiddled around in my head and made me lose all sense.

What does that prove? :)

Dear mr Radiogram,

Thank you for your application for membership to the National Association of Brain Surgeons. We thank you for your annual fee of £1000.

Regards
    Brian Surgeon.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said i could not find anything to watch, I am sure i could find something if i really looked, but is it really worth the money, seeing what is on I do not think it is and I made a huge mistake, I have no idea what I was thinking off.

Maybe it was the thought of that motor racing on Motor TV.

Jesus man, a huge mistake????

Perspective man, persepective.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seemed so much easier when you needed a licence if any of your equipment was capable of receiving live broadcasts :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does that prove? :)

Dear mr Radiogram,

Thank you for your application for membership to the National Association of Brain Surgeons. We thank you for your annual fee of £1000.

Regards
    Brian Surgeon.

:D:D:D

It is the most you are going to get, too much info on the TV licence to to post and if i took all the data off there would be nothing left on it.

Still waiting for email to say it is available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus man, a huge mistake????

Perspective man, persepective.

I know, I know.
    I love motor racing that is the problem, I did not watch the f1, no point if they miss out half the race.
  • Options
    the first Booksthe first Books Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have my sympathies, for what ever that is worth.

But in my opinion you have taken the first,all important, step to recovery and that is acknowledging to yourself, that you have a problem.

You have identified a solution, cancel the TV Licence.

Take positive steps to completing the required action.

After cancelling, the next stage is to avoid a possible relapse. Take one day at a time.
    Look yourself in the mirror every morning and say TODAY I will not buy a TV Licence.

'Twelve Step' self help support groups such a 'TV Licence Buyers Anonymous' could help.......and in your particular case,perhaps, 'Petrol Heads Anonymous', as well

Such programmes, with their group confessionals, are not to every ones liking. Consider one to one therapies or a course of medication via your GP as alternatives. Or a combination of all 3.

But remember you are already on the road to recovery and it's one day at time.

PM me if you think I can be of any help. Stay strong. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But in my opinion you have taken the first,all important, step to recovery and that is acknowledging to yourself, that you have a problem.

)

After that he can go back to watching catch up and live TV online as he has always done.;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    imagine watching all your telly on your mobile?

There are other ways to watch catchup, than on a mobile phone. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Let's hope they are all caught and dealt with appropriately.

Quite an assumption you're making there.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I have to question the comparison between Netflix/Sky Go/Sky Entertainment as being "like for like" with the BBC.

These don't create the same thousands of hours of new and diverse TV and radio as the BBC does.

With the case of Netflix and Sky Entertainment an awful lot of the content is paid for already before the you pay extra to watch it by subscribing as well.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Bless You wrote: »
    I look forward to when I can replace my tv, cancel my tv licence and just watch on catch-up.
    You can legally do that right now. Though for how much longer (re iPlayer) is debatable. Though do you really want to be labelled a freeloader for doing so? :D

A propos of nothing, but a couple of other things I have learned recently.

Neither Casualty nor Holby City are actually classed as soaps. Either that or they're just so bad and unpopular that they don't get recognised at the British Soap Awards ;)

Also, this week, ITV are dedicating 90 mins per weeknight to live coverage of the final stages of a talent show. (That's probably an hour of programme plus 30 mins of ads! Okay. Slight exaggeration :))

Now, can anyone seriously tell me that there wouldn't be a huge storm of protest if the BBC did that?

Also, a few pages back someone was challenged to prove their opinion that a lot of what the BBC does is just copies of ITV shows. Well, we're still waiting for that proof.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can legally do that right now. Though for how much longer (re iPlayer) is debatable. Though do you really want to be labelled a freeloader for doing so? :D

A propos of nothing, but a couple of other things I have learned recently.

Neither Casualty nor Holby City are actually classed as soaps. Either that or they're just so bad and unpopular that they don't get recognised at the British Soap Awards ;)

Also, this week, ITV are dedicating 90 mins per weeknight to live coverage of the final stages of a talent show. (That's probably an hour of programme plus 30 mins of ads! Okay. Slight exaggeration :))

Now, can anyone seriously tell me that there wouldn't be a huge storm of protest if the BBC did that?

Also, a few pages back someone was challenged to prove their opinion that a lot of what the BBC does is just copies of ITV shows. Well, we're still waiting for that proof.
    people being labelled freeloaders is part of the kneejerk reaction by a particular member that cannot back up their own ideas or answer questions posed by them being proven wrong. i'm still waiting on an answer for how charging a license fee through broadband is a fair system when fewer people have broadband than a tv license, and also owning broadband and owning a tv are seperate actions, people cannot be forced to buy broadband if they dont want it on the basis they own a tv.

casualty and holby arent soaps, in the case of holby its series is 50 odd episodes, easy mistake for people to make.

the final of the voice is about 90-120 minutes, we were offered tickets a couple of series ago as we had been in the audience for a few episodes of the same series, ironically being in the studio for a live episode is a lot less time than the recorded episodes (which are 3-4 hours a time)
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are about 3 BBC programs a year I'd watch. At nearly £50 a pop that is way too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    These don't create the same thousands of hours of new and diverse TV and radio as the BBC does.

Can you please give some examples of these new and diverse TV & radio programs because all I ever see and hear is the same old cobblers year after year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Take positive steps to completing the required action.

After cancelling, the next stage is to avoid a possible relapse. Take one day at a time.
    Look yourself in the mirror every morning and say TODAY I will not buy a TV Licence.

'Twelve Step' self help support groups such a 'TV Licence Buyers Anonymous' could help.......and in your particular case,perhaps, 'Petrol Heads Anonymous', as well

Such programmes, with their group confessionals, are not to every ones liking. Consider one to one therapies or a course of medication via your GP as alternatives. Or a combination of all 3.

But remember you are already on the road to recovery and it's one day at time.

PM me if you think I can be of any help. Stay strong. ;-)

Thank you for your kind words, I will take it all on board
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Can you please give some examples of these new and diverse TV & radio programs because all I ever see and hear is the same old cobblers year after year.

Armada

The Game

Twin Sisters

Murder in Successful

Episodes

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Plenty of interesting docus on BBC4 - and a lot of new and diverse content on BBC Radio.

Plenty, and that's just off the top of my head
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After that he can go back to watching catch up and live TV online as he has always done.;-)

I did not watch live TV, I did watch catch up, but Only the stuff from ITV 4.

the amount of back to back rubbish that is on the other channels and is it me or have DOGS got larger since I last watch TV?

The CBS channels dogs are massive. i noticed that BBC still got Dogs on their HD channels, why? I know what channel I am on, it says so when I tune into them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »

That is the problem, you get the odd good thing and then the rest is just a waste of time. I sometimes wonder why people watch some of the stuff they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did not watch live TV, I did watch catch up, but Only the stuff from ITV 4.

the amount of back to back rubbish that is on the other channels and is it me or have DOGS got larger since I last watch TV?

The CBS channels dogs are massive. i noticed that BBC still got Dogs on their HD channels, why? I know what channel I am on, it says so when I tune into them.

Because, and this based on American research, the audience tend to look at the Dog and stay on the channel for longer - don't ask me why though.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Beeb have only themselves to blame by making so much stuff free, legally to non licence payers, who did they think pays for this "Free" stuff? answers on a postcard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Armada

The Game

Twin Sisters

Murder in Successful

Episodes

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Plenty of interesting docus on BBC4 - and a lot of new and diverse content on BBC Radio.

Plenty, and that's just off the top of my head

Okay let's pretend that all the programs you list are very watchable.

Armada (3 hours TV)

The Game (6 hours TV)

Twin sisters, documentary (1 hour TV)

Murder in Successville (1.5 hours TV)

Episodes - stretching the new & diverse description to breaking point! (4.5 hours TV)

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (7 hours TV)

Plenty of interesting docus on BBC4 - and a lot of new and diverse content on BBC Radio. - Really? Yet none of them memorble enough to name.

So for £4.3 billion you offer 23 hours of dubious TV. Do you call that value for money?