Options

The Business Inspector

Comments

• Options
    magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's something strangely endearing about her.

Her business head is awesome and she's not mean and nasty like alot of her male counterparts might be.

Its a pity she couldnt give up smoking like the docs asked her too...I'm sure she's rueing that decision.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member
    I enjoy watching the business inspector...
    And i also think Hilary Devey sounds like Deirdre Barlow from corrie lol!!

Its them ciggies!!
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Watched about 20-30 minutes of this earlier.
    She seemed to provide useful advice and a bit of needed pep to the people involved.
    Particularly related to the lease and the Karting business.
    If I was him I'd have done some fancy legal legwork and ended up with 'no' assets, can't get money from someone with nothing.

Hells teeth there are some horribly catty people on here.
    Not sure why I've bothered to write that as it's stating the bleedin obvious really.
    Shame that seems to be all that some people have got from the program.
  • Options
    Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that by featuring two businesses it spreads the actual detail too lightly. By the time they have gone through the re cap after every ad break there isnt much in the way of content left.

I would have preferred her to get more in depth with just one of the businesses. Mind you, I suppose it is Channel5 so is designed to be a bit 'light'

Can anyone remember 'Risking it all' on C4? That seemed to be a bit more in depth if you ask me....:confused:
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think the makers of this programme have to interview a lot of people before they find some with a sufficient level of dysfunctionality, to make a programme worthwhile?
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    It's so stages it's daft. WE had the Go Cart track that only catered for corporated. Who for heavens sake would do that. It makes no sense
  • Options
    xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    She is only around 51 and looks in her 60s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »

With those legs, at her age, she should avoid wearing tight trousers and boots.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im finding this show quite entertaining but was astonished to see that it's sponsored by HM Revenue & Customs. What the hell are they doing spending my hard-earned sponsoring a TV show? The are not the Business Department, it's surely not in their remit.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »

There's no way she's around 51, I'm 50 and she could pass for my grandmother. The wig doesn't help. Hers, not mine!
  • Options
    Sunshine&SolaceSunshine&Solace Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this although I agree that it should concentrate on just one business. I really miss Risking it all and think there should be more of these types of programmes on the television.

I thought Hillary Devey was very good and didn't try to be the business person's version of Simon Cowell, which was a refreshing change. She gave sound advice and her criticism was constructive and positive. It is surprising how so many small businesses carry on with their idea of what their business should be rather than face the fact of what their business needs, particularly in changing economic climates.
  • Options
    NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this although I agree that it should concentrate on just one business. I really miss Risking it all and think there should be more of these types of programmes on the television.

I thought Hillary Devey was very good and didn't try to be the business person's version of Simon Cowell, which was a refreshing change. She gave sound advice and her criticism was constructive and positive. It is surprising how so many small businesses carry on with their idea of what their business should be rather than face the fact of what their business needs, particularly in changing economic climates.

You are right.

I am stunned by how much ppl are prepared to lose and not do anything about it.

Given that these ppl have enough confidence to go into business in the first place, it's quite surprising that they then seem to accept their fate rather than reviewing what's good and what's going wrong.

They could all have found advice without having Hilary going in but they did all seem to share a similar state of total inaction.
  • Options
    NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member

I watched a rerun of Risking It All over the weekend, not seen it before.

Wow! The people in it seem to have no business sense at all, even less than the ones in this show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else think the guy who owned the cocktail bar looked familiar?

I'm sure he's been in something else - Dragons' Den maybe?

Mrs NeilyM thinks the same.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The businesses in this seem to be the equivalent of the people who used to go in for 'You Are What You Eat' - If you weigh 400 pounds and eat nothing but chips, then it is not going to take a 'Doctor' to get you to lose a bit of weight....

One thing troubled me about the Go-Kart track (aprat from Hilary's tight trousers) - When they held the Gala night, they had forty people at five pounds a go, and they were saying how this was a financial lifeline to the company. They must have had about 15 staff on the books......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, one gala night does not a successful business maketh.

I guess the point is she's shown them what sort of things they can do to get the business rolling in.

None of it is difficult - she's really just there to point out the error of their ways, assuming there's already a viable business model.
  • Options
    bel110bel110 Posts: 14,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    One thing troubled me about the Go-Kart track (aprat from Hilary's tight trousers) - When they held the Gala night, they had forty people at five pounds a go, and they were saying how this was a financial lifeline to the company. They must have had about 15 staff on the books......

I thought that, they are going to have to really work hard to keep those night's going plus thinking of new marketing ideas and keeping the momentum up ... I find it bizarre that they didn't think about getting some new flyers and doing something like that before ... it said at the end of the programme that you can find out how the businesses are doing now on the Ch5 website but I can't see anything there ( doesn't bode well! ) ... I think they should do a 3 months later recap at the end of each show as that's the real proof so to speak ....
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    NeilyM wrote: »
    Did anyone else think the guy who owned the cocktail bar looked familiar?

I'm sure he's been in something else - Dragons' Den maybe?

Mrs NeilyM thinks the same.
    Now you say that, I'm sure I remember him from it.
  • Options
    DiegoJusticiaDiegoJusticia Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, anyone watching this evening...?? :)
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Watched the repeat at the weekend (the cocktail bar/karting track one) and thought it was at least on a par with the BBC's daytime efforts.

and it seemed a little less contrived than say 'Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares' where the restaurant simply changes its menu and they have 1,000 diners in one evening (who aren't there just to see Gordon and get on the telly at all...)
  • Options
    DiegoJusticiaDiegoJusticia Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, anyone watching this evening...?? :)

It was just me then... :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched and ejoyed it.

That pole dancing instructor needs to learn to talk less and listen more. If someone who had built a £100 million business came round to help me, I'd have my ears pinned back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most interesting feature for me was her home. A case of "if you've got it, spend it?"
    Does she live there by herself?

I didn't see the point of taking all those receipts and bills away unless she was actually going to do something with them. Giving them back and telling her to get them "in some sort of order" was a bit pointless. Were all the bills and receipts there? Were any "credits/debits" outstanding?
    In all these programmes there's some "number crunching" to be done to see if the businesses are viable, but of course it "isn't photogenic" so we don't get a sense of proportion of how effective any changes have been.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I like the pole dancing place more after than before. I quite like the idea of pole dancing as exercise but they did right by incorporating more routines into it.
  • Options
    MissbegottenMissbegotten Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge shortage of posts about the actual content on here.
    I didn't watch it.

I'd prefer to see the Troubleshooter or Gerry Robinson doing their thing, prefer their style after seeing the trailer for this.

If you are too arrogant to watch the show then why come on to the thread to flaunt your superiority? Leave the thread to us inferior mortals who actually enjoyed the programme.

And I don't think Hilary looks like a man. She just has a deep voice, possibly from thyroid problems.