Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fare (geddit) enough..
  • Options
    1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we're being encouraged to take the law into our own hands then ? Just because BTP arent taking action dosent mean the young lad cant. He should too.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any word on the faredodger? I don't know if muppetry is a criminal offense, but that freeloader needs some type of sanction. If for no other reason than his general attitude.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    Any word on the faredodger? I don't know if muppetry is a criminal offense, but that freeloader needs some type of sanction. If for no other reason than his general attitude.

Neither to be prosecuted Rafer. Knock for Knock as far as the PF is concerned.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither to be prosecuted Rafer. Knock for Knock as far as the PF is concerned.

Probably the right outcome. It depends if he uses it as a learning experience or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted wrong thread:o
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    worra shame
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think there is a public interest in the law being upheld - in both the case of the fare dodger and the man who threw him off. They ought both to have been prosecuted.

I'm not sure either of them should be able to escape prosecution because a crown office lawyer has a particular view about the public interest. Parliament and the courts should be taken to have considered the public interest when they created criminal laws in the first place.

Nevertheless, I don't suppose I really care all that much. The case was always rather piffling, I could never understand the media attention.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More importantly has Sam Main been given a good spanking yet? If not, how the Hell has he managed that?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    proviso wrote: »
    Personally I think there is a public interest in the law being upheld - in both the case of the fare dodger and the man who threw him off. They ought both to have been prosecuted .

If they had done they may have had to prosecute the Conductor for incitement.

That wouldn't look good for ScotRail since it was the negligence (albeit accidental) on the part of one of their own staff, who mis-sold the tickets in the first place, which likely caused it.

They can hardly be seen to prosecute those who assault their staff whilst members of their own staff encourage the use of violence against passengers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    If they had done they may have had to prosecute the Conductor for incitement.

That wouldn't look good for ScotRail since it was the negligence (albeit accidental) on the part of one of their own staff, who mis-sold the tickets in the first place, which likely caused it.

They can hardly be seen to prosecute those who assault their staff whilst members of their own staff encourage the use of violence against passengers.

There was never any question of ScotRail prosecuting anyone. Like almost all criminal matters this one was dealt with by the police and then the decision not to prosecute was made by the Scottish equivalent of the CPS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said ScotRail were prosecuting anyone, just "they", whomever "they" may be.

If any action had been taken against the Conductor it still may have been embarrassing for ScotRail.

ETA: Oh, I see what you mean. I meant that ScotRail "seek" the prosecution of people who assault their staff rather than do the prosecuting themselves.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good! Good on him.He did exactly what i would (and have done)! Albeit mine was a bus.No doubt someone will be along soon enough to tell me I am scum and that the person who tried smashing a bottle on a random guys head, is in fact an angel and me stopping him was in the wrong...carry on cos i dont care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does "not having a valid ticket because you were sold the wrong one" equate to "smashing someone over the head with a bottle"? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I never said ScotRail were prosecuting anyone, just "they", whomever "they" may be.

If any action had been taken against the Conductor it still may have been embarrassing for ScotRail.

ETA: Oh, I see what you mean. I meant that ScotRail "seek" the prosecution of people who assault their staff rather than do the prosecuting themselves.

I think in this case that the investigation was started at the request of someone else though - I assume the fare dodger or his father. I'm not sure, in any event, what the conductor could be prosecuted for. He didn't really incite what happened.
    Good! Good on him.He did exactly what i would (and have done)! Albeit mine was a bus.No doubt someone will be along soon enough to tell me I am scum and that the person who tried smashing a bottle on a random guys head, is in fact an angel and me stopping him was in the wrong...carry on cos i dont care.

As has been said, removing someone from a bus to prevent them samshing a bottle on some one is clearly a lawful use of force.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    So we're being encouraged to take the law into our own hands then ? Just because BTP arent taking action dosent mean the young lad cant. He should too.

Under Scots Law it isn't upto BTP to take action. If a complaint is made and there is evidence to support the complaint the BTP must report it to the Fiscal.

Clearly as I predicted sometime ago the Fiscal has taken out his big red pen and done the needful.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »

The "fare dodger" it seems wasn't. He was put into a precarious predicament by incompetent rail staff. This was then further compounded by the conductor, who assumed "the yob" was a liar and told him to get off.

The youth then, having the moral high ground (he knew he had paid the correct fare) quite rightly refused, (He may well also have had insufficient money to continue his journey by alternative means).

The conductor then compounded his own incompetence by parroting "i've got all night". All he had to do was tell the lad that he would now contact BTP and they would be waiting and would deal with him appropriately.

Instead his action ultimately lead to the train bully getting involved and to my utter disgust was applauded by his fellow passengers.

I suppose in mitigation he / they were not to know that the lad had paid his fare.

Nevertheless, the ejector was a bully, guilty of assault, is clearly identifiable and should be prosecuted.

No win - no fee my son, go for it!

(BTW - how did this end up in Politics?)
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    The "fare dodger" it seems wasn't. He was put into a precarious predicament by incompetent rail staff. This was then further compounded by the conductor, who assumed "the yob" was a liar and told him to get off.

The youth then, having the moral high ground (he knew he had paid the correct fare) quite rightly refused, (He may well also have had insufficient money to continue his journey by alternative means).

The conductor then compounded his own incompetence by parroting "i've got all night". All he had to do was tell the lad that he would now contact BTP and they would be waiting and would deal with him appropriately.

Instead his action ultimately lead to the train bully getting involved and to my utter disgust was applauded by his fellow passengers.

I suppose in mitigation he / they were not to know that the lad had paid his fare.

Nevertheless, the ejector was a bully, guilty of assault, is clearly identifiable and should be prosecuted.

You missed out the bit where the fare dodger started swearing like navvy and generally acting like a spoilt child, unless of course that's what you meant by "having the moral high ground".
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funny how many people defend the little runt's use of aggressive and offensive language towards the conductor isn't it?

He lost any moral high ground he may have started with when he began his obnoxious tirade. I'm still glad he got thrown off that train. He deserved it.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    More importantly has Sam Main been given a good spanking yet? If not, how the Hell has he managed that?

If not, I'm more than happ...... no better not, had I? :p:eek::o:o
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "fare dodger" it seems wasn't.

We only have his word for that and doesn't he check his tickets before he leaves the ticket office? ;)
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not yet seen or heard anything official from Scotrail confirming that he was indeed sold the incorrect ticket. The onus is upon him to produce the correct ticket when required or pay the full fare for the journey

Quite wrongly refused. You either pay the full fare or leave the train. No moral high ground. That's the Railway Bye-Laws

The conductor had no POSSIBLE way of verifying the story given by Main. Main refused to pay the full fare.

Main compounded the situation by committing a Breach of the Peace and refusing to exit the train when required by the conductor

Exactly! Just one of the thousands of bullshit stories conductors hear every day

Wrong! He's NOT guilty of an assault, he's not been tried and convicted. To say othewise is libellous

It was discussed on this forum at the time

Answered in your post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    We only have his word for that and doesn't he check his tickets before he leaves the ticket office? ;)

ah so a case of "caveat emptor" I suppose?

Must confess that when I have the misfortune to have to use the railways in this Kingdom I pays me money and put the tickets in my pocket until required. I have a reasonable assumption that I have been sold the correct items.

I suppose on reflection I should know better than trust railway staff to get it right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Funny how many people defend the little runt's use of aggressive and offensive language towards the conductor isn't it?

He lost any moral high ground he may have started with when he began his obnoxious tirade. I'm still glad he got thrown off that train. He deserved it.

To be honest the only voices I could clearly hear were the conductor and the bully. I heard the occasional incoherent mutter from the lad but no bad language.

If I knew i'd paid the fare and was being wrongly ejected I suspect my temper may well have lead me to "lose it" aswell.

I however am not a 7 stone when soaking wet youth, so bully boy would no doubt have stayed in his seat.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politics forum? :confused: