What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg. Trying to capitalise on the success of last year's Scandi best seller The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. The Little Old Lady is an entertaining read but the plot slows down a lot after the halfway point..a great shame.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Hitch 22 - the autobiography of essayist and journalist Christopher Hitchens. Very interesting on several aspects of political developments over the past 50 yrs particularly his jysutification for the Iraq war. Alos good on his friendships with other notable writers such as Martin Amis and Salman Rushdie.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lifting the Veil of Duality ~ Andreas Moritz
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More Tales From The Secret Footballer - Dave Kitson (?)
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unseen by Karin Slaughter.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Just finished The Book Thief. A race against time before seeing it in the cinema. Brilliant!!
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,874
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Working my way through some of the Hamish Macbeth books by MC Beaton really enjoying them.

Aw- a good friend, sadly now departed, lent me most of those, very inventive murders I remember :o

Reading The Greenfinch by Donna Tartt, and wishing for once that I had a Kindle to read it on, it's very heavy.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    The Husbands secret, v good so far
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking for Alaska John Green
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two new books.

Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood. Audiobook version. The last in a series of three. I know that some posters have been disappointed with this and am approaching it with some trepidation. Enjoying it so far, early days yet though.

The Redemption of Alexander Seaton by Shona MacLean. Set in 1626 in Banff, Scotland, it's a murder mystery and the first of a series.
  • fanstar77fanstar77 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Just bought the first 3 game of thrones books under duress. Will start reading the first one on saturday. Will probably take me a year.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Working my way through some of the Hamish Macbeth books by MC Beaton really enjoying them.

I love those, even better that there are quite a few.:)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The God Theory: Universes, Zero-Point Fields, and what's behind it all ~ Bernard Haisch
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Rebecca Muddiman- Stolen
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Missing Half - Brooke powley
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Julian Clary- Briefs Encountered
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

I've seen a million adaptations but I've never read the book until now, which I'm rather ashamed on. I'm on chapter three and it's absolutely fantastic.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently on book 10 of the 18 Lee Child 'Jack Reacher' novels. Mindless violence and a strangely believable 'hero'. I am sprinting through these at a fair rate of knots, and for a fan of simple (yet often quite complex) 'thriller' type books,these are pretty hard to beat!
    No serious moralising or preaching, and the hero is American, where the books are written by an Englishman.
    Best serendipitous 'find' I have made for years. No,not classic literature, nor earth shattering plots, but simply what a good book should be; a good read, that keeps you turning the pages!
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished The Shock of the Fall.

Cried my eyes out. :blush:

A book everyone should read.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    The Book of the Dead by Anonymous - 4th in The Bourbon Kid stories, enjoying as always, blood, mayhem, murder and vampires
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson again. I enjoy the old black and white film of The Haunting too which is slightly different to the book.

When I read the book I'm never quite sure if it's set in England or new England like the film. As Jackson was from the U.S. I suppose it must be set somewhere there - not sure.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished 'Lasting Damage' by Sophie Hannah (audiobook version). I found the mystery of it quite gripping all the way through but the ending really let it down - the big reveal of whodunnit was a bit of a daft confused mess.

I've now started 'Into the Darkest Corner' by Elizabeth Haynes (audiobook version). Similar sort of thing - psychological mystery thriller where you aren't sure what's going on until the end. Quite enjoying it so far, although all the repetitive stuff about OCD checking is a bit dull.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be Careful What you Wish for - Simon Jordan
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Karen Rose's Die For Me. I'm enjoying it and looking forward to working my way through a few more of her books. It's intriguing and entertaining.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sacrifice by Paul Finch.