The point of Trick or Treating?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I know! But that's where the modern trick or treating comes from. Like our modern Christmas comes from a time long, long ago, when people didn't have mobiles and buffalo roamed the land, or something ...

I would say the closest we have to what we know as trick or treating today is the Scottish Guising which started in the C19! I don't disagree that the origins of trick or treat started with mumming but the modern trick or treating really comes from the US and only then really didn't start there until the mid C20.

I don't remember seeing trick or treating in his country until the mid 1980s onwards!
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm Scottish and did it the 1970s. My parents used to do it and probably their parents. In fact it's actually died away a bit up here in recent years as parents prefer to have parties for kids rather than let them go to stranger's doors. Tumshie lanterns are a nightmare to carve, pumpkins are one import for the better!
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Well I'm Scottish and did it the 1970s. My parents used to do it and probably their parents. In fact it's actually died away a bit up here in recent years as parents prefer to have parties for kids rather than let them go to stranger's doors.

Yep, Guising is a Scottish tradition from the 19th Century!
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoy Halloween.
    I turn the lights off in the house, pull down the blinds, put an empty tub outside with a sign in it saying, "Please help yourself, but leave some for everyone else," and sit upstairs watching a film.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :D Love that episode. Particularly the lines when Marge meets up with Patty & Selma in a cave:

"So you've finally left Derwood"

"His name is Homer"

Eat their children?
    We were just going to take their shoes.

I've never been trick or treating in my life and the children around here only tend to go to their very close neighbours.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another american import
    Bit like prom night

Don't give in to the bullying to join in

We have guy Fawkes an carol singing for extorcian for kids

So you have never had a McDonald's, KFC, Coke, Budweiser, Ford car, watched a Disney film? What TF is wrong with importing goods, ideas, and traditions from other countries?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Honestly it makes me feel uneasy to imagine little kids knocking on stranger's doors begging for chocolate.
    What is the actual point of it other than to look stupid?:confused:

It's a bit of fun (look it up :rolleyes:). Kids love dressing up. Maybe you didn't.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    :D Love that episode. Particularly the lines when Marge meets up with Patty & Selma in a cave:

"So you've finally left Derwood"

"His name is Homer"
    :D:D

It's probably my favourite Halloween segment.

"The bible says a lot of things...shove her!"
  • Options
    Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    So you have never had a McDonald's, KFC, Coke, Budweiser, Ford car, watched a Disney film? What TF is wrong with importing goods, ideas, and traditions from other countries?

Well, because the whole point of this 'tradition' is purely commercial. It's driven by the supermarkets who want to sell lots of cheap plastic masks and outfits and bags of sweets.

The business model of the major chains is driven by lurching from one seasonal promotion to another and suckering gullible consumers in to parting with their cash for unnecessary products.

If you want to spend your hard earned cash lining the pockets of supermarket shareholders, go ahead, but I'm not playing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »
    Well, because the whole point of this 'tradition' is purely commercial. It's driven by the supermarkets who want to sell lots of cheap plastic masks and outfits and bags of sweets.

The business model of the major chains is driven by lurching from one seasonal promotion to another and suckering gullible consumers in to parting with their cash for unnecessary products.

If you want to spend your hard earned cash lining the pockets of supermarket shareholders, go ahead, but I'm not playing.

So where do you do your weekly shop then? Obviously not in the supermarkets if that is your attitude about maybe spending a £1 or £2 on a bit of FUN.
    The world is full of miserable people.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

No BOGOFs for you, I take it?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Honestly it makes me feel uneasy to imagine little kids knocking on stranger's doors begging for chocolate.
    What is the actual point of it other than to look stupid?:confused:

If done properly and taken in the spirit (no pun intended) of which it is meant, e.g. kids putting a bit of effort into their costumes, some harmless "tricks" and a neighbourhood equally receptive and ready to play along as well, then the "point" is merely harmless, traditional fun.

What you get instead is many kids wearing just a mask and a bin bag, who see it as an excuse to go on the scrounge, cause trouble, and ruin it by alienating their neighbourhoods and causing that traditional Victorian British attitude of "Children should be seen and not heard" to be taken to its extreme, meaning all those who take part are loathed and despised in equal measure.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Another american import
    Bit like prom night

Don't give in to the bullying to join in

We have guy Fawkes an carol singing for extorcian for kids
    trevgo wrote: »
    "this", as they say.

All of the above.

The only thing we ever used to do on halloween was sit in a darkened room, looking in the mirror to see the face of our future husbands.
    Well, thats what Jackie magazine promised us, anyhow :o:D
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I've been forbidden from going out trick or treating this year. What's so wrong about a person in his twenties wanting to dress up as a zombie and tell crappy jokes in order to get bucket loads of free chocolate?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I like Halloween much more than Christmas. It's a nod to the fact that we are all going to die eventually. At least, that is my interpretation of it.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Americanism...I hate it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I was really disappointed last year, filled a big tub full of sweets and treats and only had one knock at the door.

oh well,, at least you can eat the left overs yourself :D good idea lol