4k Bluray on track for Christmas 2015....

What UHD Bluray will look like......
The BDA's board has defined Ultra HD Blu-ray as discs that can handle resolution up to 3849 x 2169 and frame rates up to 60fps.
The new format will also feature a wider color range (to up REC 2020 or BT2020) and 10-bit color depth, Hexus says, and a mandatory, open HDR specification will be crucial to the format overall. Though not all 4K movies have HDR at this time, that may be a future-proofing measure.

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu-ray/this-is-what-the-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-format-will-look-like-1279902

Comments

• plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

Progress and perhaps by the end of 2015 all TV Manufactures will be in line and Customers can buy without the worry of needing add on boxes to their 4K TV's, or promises of software updates to patch issues.

Price of the media is the real question? DVD's are still being sold when you would have thought by now many would have 1080p TV's. That with relatively cheap Blu-ray players, they would have upgraded to gain the benefits of HD over DVD lower resolution.

Amazon are currently selling Guardians of the Galaxy at £15 for Blu-ray and £10 for DVD. As 4k will require a disc of up to 4x the capacity of Blu-ray are we going to see a price of £30? Streaming (either through the Smart TV or a PC / Box etc.) would seem to offer far better value and with some of these price dynamics will we see a shift away from "ownership" to available on demand? These factors may see the poor adoption by the consumer of perhaps expensive UD Players and their potential exorbitant running costs (the Disc).
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure both the players and the disks will start off expensive - blu-ray players were £500+ pounds and disks £40 early on. That's why people opted for PS3s as they were cheap just for the blu-ray player part. Panasonic have said that their 4k player will be expensive (their top range blu-ray player is £400 (BDT-700)) so I expect the 4k player will be more than that. And if the disks are more than £20 I'm not sure many people will be interested. Not that many seem to be interested in blu-ray!
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These 4k blu rays will look awesome upscaled on my 8k tv:D

http://mashable.com/2015/01/05/sharp-virtual-8k-uhd-tv/

I am a little bit disappointed by 4k dscs, I started collecting blu steelbooks in the hope that current blu ray was going to be the last disc format.