DSFE 55 - Breaking More Waves in St Helier

Comments

• mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, Algeria doesn't have a song now, right?
  • yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,194
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I can't really allow those selection riles when I've got all the other Arabic countries in, including Lebanon :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up to song 47 on pre-recapping. Will do some later tonight and the rest tomorrow. I should have all the final recaps in by Saturday late afternoon, and I may even have the first ready tomorrow late evening.

:)
    Forum Member
    Ok then, another set of reveals to come - here they are:
    We start with Italy's baby, San Marino. They don't have too many indoor arenas, so attempting to take us to Valentina's garden at last is Dear Jack with a language-blending song title - Domani è un altro film.

Now off north to the country of the moment, Scotland, who are all about sport right now, a theme extending right through to their DSFE entry on Jersey, Olympic Swimmers, who will be trying not to tie themselves in Knots.

Staying in the Commonwealth, as we head to Cyprus. Like Greece, they've never won DSFE, but unlike Greece, they've never won for real either. Anna Vissi is a legend in both countries though, & sends the commentator-confusing I Kathimerinotita Mas.

We are now going to Armenia, a small Eastern country like so many, but they're successful in DSFE, one of only a few countries with 3 wins under their belt. Noro are after number 4 with Kyanqs Kerel Es.

And finally, Belgium's bits have split in 2 (who gets Brussels...), & having had Flanders, it's Wallonia's time, & they're going to the cosmos with Intergalactic Lovers, who are asking their space taxi to take them to Northern Road.

I have only 6 entries left* - & I have sent vaguely threatening (but always friendly) PMs to their owners with just 24 hours to go :o

*Not including Algeria, who I've informed of the need to change their song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had Dear Jack in store if I ever got Italy again. It's a great song, really.
    Forum Member
    Well I had Olympic Swimmers in store for Scotland, I didn't know anyone else had heard of them :p To lose 1 pre-planned entry in your own contest is unlucky, to lose 2 is careless :cry:
  • March MorningsMarch Mornings Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just while I remember, I was voting on the final in Reading while I was in Sweden. And I clicked on the link for Sweden's song, and it said "Sorry, this video is not available in your country." I found this rather amusing. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just while I remember, I was voting on the final in Reading while I was in Sweden. And I clicked on the link for Sweden's song, and it said "Sorry, this video is not available in your country." I found this rather amusing. :p

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    The magnificent 7. The final set of reveals that will take us to 70 :o

So, they've caused a minor disagreement, but Algeria do now have an entry, & coming to the rescue of North Africa once again is YaDi, who's sending the appropriately-titled Safara Heat.

They dumped their entry, only for it to be taken by Israel, but Luxembourg are here & ready with an entry of their own. The Jersey government had better watch out, as Nikki Dae is ready to cause Rebellions.

They're a big country desperate for real-life glory, but maybe Romania will get DSFE victory first, aiming to do just that is Andra, with a snappy & simple song title, Inevitabil Va Fi Bine.

Next up, we finish off the Balkans with Montenegro, who have gone all-out for Jersey, sending half their music scene to St Helier. Sanja Ilic & Balkanika ft Cvija will perform the simple Djipaj.

Off we go to Spain, a country that blows hot & cold at DSFE, veering to both ends of the scoreboard. They very nearly ended up hosting this contest, so the heat is on Amaral to keep it up with Hacia Lo Salvaje.

We're nearly there, & it's time for Russia's baby, Uzbekistan. They are looking to take us as far east as we can go, & the task of doing just that falls to Ziyoda, who wants to get us all to Assalom.

And last but by no means least, the Czech Republic are song 70. They appear to have annexed part of Italy, as they're sending Verona to Jersey, where she hopes she'll have you Fallin' In Love.

Thank you for getting all your entries in in time :)

Brace yourself for RQ1, which I'll now start getting ready.
  • EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YaDi again?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    Brace yourself for RQ1, which I'll now start getting ready.

I'm now up to song 58 on recaps, so I'm just missing those from yesterday and those from today. I should be finished with those by tonight. The RQ recaps will all be available on Dailymotion tomorrow evening.

PS: Could I just congratulate the FM with Egypt for finding such a surprisingly good song, for such a poor country :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexos, how can you make you having Algeria so obvious?
  • AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I promise Algeria is not me, but someone has used the YADi song I uploaded in case I ever got Algeria again :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexos wrote: »
    I promise Algeria is not me, but someone has used the YADi song I uploaded in case I ever got Algeria again :mad:

Which you uploaded yesterday :D
    Forum Member
    I can absolutely confirm Alexos is not Algeria.
    RQ1 isn't far away...
    Forum Member
    Ladies & gentlemen, welcome to St Helier, & the first Regional Qualifier of DSFE 55, containing 14 nations from a mixture of north-west & south-east Europe, here they are:

01. UKRAINE
    02. IRELAND
    03. ALBANIA
    04. ISLE OF MAN
    05. WALES
    06. ENGLAND
    07. MONTENEGRO
    08. MOLDOVA
    09. JERSEY
    10. NORTHERN IRELAND
    11. SHETLAND ISLANDS
    12. BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
    13. SCOTLAND
    14. TRANSNISTRIA

RQ1 PLAYLIST

Please PM me your vote in standard Eurovision style, 12, 10, 8-1.
    If you are in this heat, you MUST vote or a giant yoshi will come round & eat you (your song will also be disqualified).
    If you are not in this heat, but are in this contest, you may vote individually but it's not compulsory (the more the merrier though).
    The top 8 will go to the semis.
    Voting will close on MONDAY 28 JULY AT 7PM with results at around 8.
    Happy voting, & good luck :)
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member

Haha, so you've uploaded it and someone else has stolen it?! :D
  • AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avb wrote: »
    Haha, so you've uploaded it and someone else has stolen it?! :D

Yeah YADi has loads of songs but none of them are on YT, so here's me thinking I would change that -_- I actually uploaded it ages ago for another game on here with unsigned acts, but it was unlisted until yesterday. My field of suspects is pretty narrow tbh. Still an amaze song though ^_^ (much better than the other songs with videos that have been used since I sent Guillotine)
  • March MorningsMarch Mornings Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ukraine: I loved 'Wild Child'. This started similarly strongly, if not slightly generic. I found the chorus blander than what I was expecting; it just lacks the punch that makes me wanna keep listening. It's nice enough, but it's just not matching what I expected.

Ireland: I think I approve of the rawness this song possesses, but with that said I don't think the strong is actually strong enough to stand on its own merit. The melody lingers quite often around the same two notes, except for in the chorus. I feel I'd enjoy this if I were in an Irish bar or something, but as it stands I'm not feeling this.

Albania: I find that really ethnic motif that's repeated for the first 30 seconds insufferable, which is a shame because the music that's behind it sounds quite pleasant. That motif also doesn't seem to fit with the actual song when it comes in, and particularly when the two singers are together in the chorus, the song is rather nice, and their harmonies are solid. There's a lot of power in the second verse too, although I could do without the electro influence in the background. Actually think this is a pretty great song, it's just let down by the odd thing here and there.

Isle of Man: I don't like how in the verse the rest of the music seems to stop to let the singer sing. She's really pretty and I like her voice, but that doesn't save the song from being overall quite bland, without a great deal of musical interest. It's nice enough, and it does build well throughout... okay no by the last chorus I'm liking it a whole lot more. Perhaps takes a little too long to get to somewhere that I like, but this isn't too bad actually.

Wales: I felt that this had potential from the opening but like the Isle of Man, it took a while to get there. And even then, I wasn't sure I approved. It starts quite pretty, and I quite like the strings (even if they sound a little fake), but the heavy drum beat doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the song, and, also like the Isle of Man, it seems to rely heavily on chord I, with a brief trip to chord IV before going back again. And again, like the Isle of Man, it becomes quite rousing towards the end. I don't think the running order helps here, because they're essentially filling the same role in different ways.

England: I enjoy Mumford and Sons. I especially enjoy this song, I'd argue it's one of the best on their newest album. It suffers from the typical Mumford and Sons problem of staying around the same kind of chords, but when a song has a kind of energy like this, I don't think that's really an issue. Yeah, I enjoy this one a lot.

Montenegro: What I think I'm finding about Montenegrin music, is that it takes relatively common genres in its area, and... puts its own twist on them, shall we say. This has the energetic Balkan brass of Ovo Je Balkan (or, dare I say it, Sam and the Womp's 'Bom Bom'), but does so in a much more irritating fashion (yes, even more so than Bom Bom). This also seems to take lots of different things and throws them together, not necessarily to a pleasing result.

Moldova: By Moldovan standards, this isn't too bad. It sort of sounds like it wants to be their representative in Eurovision in like 2008 or something, I kinda get that this would be the lovechild of A Century of Love and Semplice, but I'm kinda digging it. Their voices are smooth, the song is nice enough... I'm surprised at how much I like this, actually. Not bad at all.

Jersey: This is solid. It's jolly, it's benefiting from me playing it in the sun, it's a little formulaic but it's pretty good at what it's trying to do. I don't overtly love it but it's pretty good.

Northern Ireland: I'm a bit of a sucker for country music, and this has a rockier, The Pretty Reckless' 'Down Below' vibe, which I also adore. So, suffice to say, I approve of this too, although I would argue that it promises a slightly stronger chorus than it delivers.

Shetland Islands: The verse sounded pretty good, but the break into the bridge seemed a little forced, and the chorus isn't as rousing as I expected it to be from the outset. This has just left me a little cold.

Bosnia and Herzegovina: Also keeping up with "this chorus doesn't sound like it fits with what came before it", the bass aggravates me more than I can possibly describe. However, the instrumental bits are kinda nice, although frankly even that's not making me like this song.

Scotland: The opening of this sounds a lot messier than I feel it needs to be. Actually, it seems to keep that up. I can barely understand what she's singing, and quite often the music in the chorus drowns out what it is she's singing anyway. Not particularly a fan of this one.

Transnistria: The intro for this one went on far too long, and the song proper wasn't all that great when it finally arrived. With the obvious, fabulous, hamster-wheeled exception, I've never been a big fan of Svetlana Loboda, and this is keeping that up for me; the melody seems quite uninspired and the backing music never manages to be as powerful as it tries to be.

Top 5 in performance order: Albania(?!), England, Moldova, Jersey, and Northern Ireland
    Bottom 5 in performance order: Ireland, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Scotland, and Transnistria
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah YADi has loads of songs but none of them are on YT, so here's me thinking I would change that -_- I actually uploaded it ages ago for another game on here with unsigned acts, but it was unlisted until yesterday. My field of suspects is pretty narrow tbh. Still an amaze song though ^_^ (much better than the other songs with videos that have been used since I sent Guillotine)

The first two songs she sent I didn't like one bit, but the two recent ones (incl. the current one) are much better imo. And I believe the song is called Willow, not Sahara Heat.
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    mikabv wrote: »
    The first two songs she sent I didn't like one bit, but the two recent ones (incl. the current one) are much better imo. And I believe the song is called Willow, not Sahara Heat.

Been nothing even close to Guillotine imo. Would love to know who nicked the song though, a bold move! Loving March Mornings' forensic reviews too! :D
  • Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'the blow' was my favourite, great track. this is not sahara heart by the way, this is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avb wrote: »
    Been nothing even close to Guillotine imo. Would love to know who nicked the song though, a bold move! Loving March Mornings' forensic reviews too! :D

Guillotine was crap imo, so was The Blow.
  • EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen 404 wrote: »
    'the blow' was my favourite, great track. this is not sahara heart by the way, this is.

The Blow was so underrated.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very odd round. 6 of the supposedly stronger group are in my bottom half. Lots of MOR bores here and songs that go on way way too long.

Ireland and England especially are terrible considering what they can pick from.