Options

theft of fruit based finger print reading phone and finger

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This 'security' is just for fun.

You can easily purposely corrupt a phone's operating system to force it into recovering to factory condition.

Proven many times with passcoded iPhones, check YoutTube.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its a safe bet to say that had other phones had a fingerprint reader before the iPhone, there wouldn't be quite so much discussion looking for all the Worst case Scenarios.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    it balances risk vs convenience, like most security.

Chances are my phone will have been locked before someone finds it wherever I lost it (a more likely scenario than being mugged).

I agree with you on this and this is exactly why I don't bother with a lock code. Statistically, the person who finds it is almost certainly honest and will attempt to return it. It is easier to find a phone number to call on an unlocked phone. Even if they are not totally honest and just pocket the phone I think again that they are more likely to just turn a blind eye to "finding is theft" as opposed to positively defrauding me by delving into my financial information on the phone.

As an example of the above, I was in Florida a couple of years ago and my wife left her phone in the hotel room. A resourceful maid rang the first number in the address book - A for Amy our daughter in law and rang her in London. A couple of minutes later we had a call from Amy on my mobile. This wouldn't have happened if the phone had been locked.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I think its a safe bet to say that had other phones had a fingerprint reader before the iPhone, there wouldn't be quite so much discussion looking for all the Worst case Scenarios.

Yeah, there was for the motorola as well. I took part in some discussions on other forums about the same thing.

Please don't think this is just because its apple again. That line is becoming boring very fast.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I agree with you on this and this is exactly why I don't bother with a lock code. Statistically, the person who finds it is almost certainly honest and will attempt to return it. It is easier to find a phone number to call on an unlocked phone.

Ah but that`s what the owner info option is there for. ;)
    http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57565765-285/set-android-owner-info-to-help-recover-a-lost-smartphone/
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I have my name, number and reward as info just incase
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Apparently Apple have said that the fingerprint-thingy on the 5S will only work with fingers that have signs of life, so hopefully that will avoid any instances of stolen iPhones along with stolen fingers to use them.

I do feel that whilst the above policy is generally good, it is just another example of the widespread discrimination against zombies, who will be unable to use their fingers to unlock the 5S due to the lack of signs of life in them.

On a less serious note, a fingerprint without a passcode to access the phone and make purchases is a bad idea because it is all too easy for you to accidentally authorise something, or for someone else to do so on your behalf if you fall asleep after a few too many. A 4-digit code should still be required along with the fingerprint check.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    On a less serious note, a fingerprint without a passcode to access the phone and make purchases is a bad idea because it is all too easy for you to accidentally authorise something, or for someone else to do so on your behalf if you fall asleep after a few too many. A 4-digit code should still be required along with the fingerprint check.

I think the second point is being overblown a bit on this thread, to be honest.

As for doing it accidentally, I can't see it. You'd have to press the purchase or download button on the screen, so you've already signalled your intention to buy it. Then it'll ask for fingerprint authorisation and you have to hold your finger or thumb on the home button. I can't see how you'd do that by accident.

I hate having to put my password in every time I buy music or download an app. And it's not a four-digit PIN either - it's the full Apple ID password. This is hopefully a quicker, more elegant solution.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »

Nice try but nope. If this had 'debuted' on an Android phone I would have said exactly the same thing - it's a silly gimmick. As well as being potentially dangerous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Nice try but nope. If this had 'debuted' on an Android phone I would have said exactly the same thing - it's a silly gimmick. As well as being potentially dangerous.

Potentially dangerous?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the second point is being overblown a bit on this thread, to be honest.

As for doing it accidentally, I can't see it. You'd have to press the purchase or download button on the screen, so you've already signalled your intention to buy it. Then it'll ask for fingerprint authorisation and you have to hold your finger or thumb on the home button. I can't see how you'd do that by accident.

I hate having to put my password in every time I buy music or download an app. And it's not a four-digit PIN either - it's the full Apple ID password. This is hopefully a quicker, more elegant solution.

Just wait until you awake in your mate's house worse for wear from the night before to discover that, somehow, your itunes music has apparently acquired Justin Bieber's full discography at great personal expense (both fiscal and emotional). :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wait until you awake in your mate's house worse for wear from the night before to discover that, somehow, your itunes music has apparently acquired Justin Bieber's full discography at great personal expense (both fiscal and emotional). :D

Noooooooo!!!

But on a serious note, if you're the kind of person who falls asleep in public and/or in front of all your friends, just use the traditional passcode lock instead.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I agree with you on this and this is exactly why I don't bother with a lock code. Statistically, the person who finds it is almost certainly honest and will attempt to return it. It is easier to find a phone number to call on an unlocked phone. Even if they are not totally honest and just pocket the phone I think again that they are more likely to just turn a blind eye to "finding is theft" as opposed to positively defrauding me by delving into my financial information on the phone.

As an example of the above, I was in Florida a couple of years ago and my wife left her phone in the hotel room. A resourceful maid rang the first number in the address book - A for Amy our daughter in law and rang her in London. A couple of minutes later we had a call from Amy on my mobile. This wouuldn't have happened if the phone had been locked.

I never used to have a lock on my phone, until last year when I had my phone stolen on the tube. The thief then had access to everything on my phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Potentially dangerous?

Yes. Do I really have to spell out why? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Do I really have to spell out why? :confused:

You're not talking about people having their fingers cut off, are you? Come on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're not talking about people having their fingers cut off, are you? Come on!

No. It's not as serious as that. Another try? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It's not as serious as that. Another try? :D

Ha, it's just that people were talking about that earlier.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to then, unless it's unauthorised access while you're sleeping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An unconscious person who uses a pass code is useless to a fraudster. But an unconscious person who uses fingerprint security is a potential goldmine. Would you write your bank PIN number on a piece of paper and put it in your back pocket for instance? No normal person would carry that info around with them. Problem being a finger is hard to leave at home :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An unconscious person who uses a pass code is useless to a fraudster. But an unconscious person who uses fingerprint security. Would you write your bank PIN number on a piece of paper and put it in your back pocket?

As I've said, I think this potential issue is being overblown to an absolutely insane degree. You can still use a passcode if you wish, and then you can fall asleep drunk to your heart's content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I've said, I think this potential issue is being overblown to an absolutely insane degree. You can still use a passcode if you wish, and then you can fall asleep drunk to your heart's content.

Of course it's an absolute worse case scenario but we already know that ALL manufacturers release stuff that isn't totally 100% tested under real life conditions by millions of users beforehand (hence the use of the word beta in software etc). Even if the incidences were miniscule it's still a crazy idea imo. Time will tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's an absolute worse case scenario but we already know that ALL manufacturers release stuff that isn't totally 100% tested under real life conditions by millions of users beforehand (hence the use of the word beta in software etc). Even if the incidences were miniscule it's still a crazy idea imo. Time will tell.

With a passcode lock, it's not difficult to look over someone's shoulder and watch them enter their PIN. And when pattern unlock was introduced, I remember something about the pattern being obvious based on marks left on the screen. All systems have their weaknesses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    An unconscious person who uses a pass code is useless to a fraudster. But an unconscious person who uses fingerprint security is a potential goldmine. Would you write your bank PIN number on a piece of paper and put it in your back pocket for instance? No normal person would carry that info around with them. Problem being a finger is hard to leave at home :D

That's a damn good point, and far more serious than the getting drunk at a mate's house scenario. Whilst a passcode or PIN number can only be stolen from you whilst you are concious and decide it is better to hand it over than be beaten up any more, a fingerprint scan can be automatically taken from you without your knowledge if they knock you unconcious, meaning you have suffered far worse injuries for the sake of saving a second or so to tap a code on the device in the conventional method (and I suspect the fingerprint scan probably takes as long to verify as a four-digit code anyway).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a damn good point, and far more serious than the getting drunk at a mate's house scenario. Whilst a passcode or PIN number can only be stolen from you whilst you are concious and decide it is better to hand it over than be beaten up any more, a fingerprint scan can be automatically taken from you without your knowledge if they knock you unconcious, meaning you have suffered far worse injuries for the sake of saving a second or so to tap a code on the device in the conventional method (and I suspect the fingerprint scan probably takes as long to verify as a four-digit code anyway).

Like I said much earlier, it's a silly gimmick and I would have said it no matter if Android, Windows or Apple had been the first to 'debut' it. It's sadly indicative of the current high end smartphone market where pretty much everything genuinely useful has been done already so manufacturers (whoever they are) have to come up with more and more bizarre gimmicks to try and stand out from the crowd. But this one is the worst in the sense of the potential danger (no matter how miniscule the actual risk may be) it introduces into the equation.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Apple have said that the fingerprint-thingy on the 5S will only work with fingers that have signs of life, so hopefully that will avoid any instances of stolen iPhones along with stolen fingers to use them.

I do feel that whilst the above policy is generally good, it is just another example of the widespread discrimination against zombies, who will be unable to use their fingers to unlock the 5S due to the lack of signs of life in them.

It uses a capacitive sensor. Did you realise that capacitive touch screen pens do the same thing. They are slightly conductive just like a human finger funnily enough.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said much earlier, it's a silly gimmick and I would have said it no matter if Android, Windows or Apple had been the first to 'debut' it. It's sadly indicative of the current high end smartphone market where pretty much everything genuinely useful has been done already so manufacturers (whoever they are) have to come up with more and more bizarre gimmicks to try and stand out from the crowd. But this one is the worst in the sense of the potential danger (no matter how miniscule the actual risk may be) it introduces into the equation.

I assume you had/have the same view regarding facial recognition unlock on android. Did you post when that was discussed showing your disapproval?

Imagine, someone could cut your head off:rolleyes: