Emma Watson's poor pink dog :(

13»

Comments

• Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    The choice of dog is transferring a persons vanity. Why get a chihuahua if not to let it ride in a stupid handbag around the rich parts of cities Why get a French poodle if not to give it a stupid haircut and show them at competitions.

Like I said, I don't condone this but the reasoning behind this was to save lives. Yes, the dog had no say, but I bet the sight of a pink dog certainly drew attention to it, something that a normal Bichon might not have done. Yep, you can call it exploitation, but to what extent has the dog suffered? That TV vet just gave a few soundbites of which none were particularly relevant or important to the situation described.

How the h*ll can dying a dogs fur pink save lives. Very lame excuse imo.
    Btw. people do not get poodles just to give them a silly haircut and show them.....they happen to be very intelligent dogs.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sidsgirl wrote: »
    Very few breeds of dog have evolved naturally.....can't see what that has got to do with dying its fur. :confused:
    Do you think that if breeders could have selected for a pink fur gene, they wouldn't have done it by now?

If you need something to get angry about, get angry about dogs being inbred for cosmetic ("fashion") reasons to the point where genetic defects severely affect their quality of life, not someone temporarily dying their dog with a harmless chemical.
  • Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Do you think that if breeders could have selected for a pink fur gene, they wouldn't have done it by now?

If you need something to get angry about, get angry about dogs being inbred for cosmetic reasons to the point where genetic defects severely affect their quality of life, not someone temporarily dying their dog with a harmless chemical.

Oh, l do, believe me. But l also get annoyed about people making their pets look ridiculous. People should respect animals not make them look silly.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    That comment just begs the question, Why do it then? Other than for the owner to draw attention to themself.

I guess you could say that about absolutely anything. Mothers dress their babies up in silly outfits and strangers/family members take notice and say "awww". I have a small poodle, and I have cute little Santa outfits (and hats) that I put on her at Christmas time (she looks really cute :D), and I take her for walks and people take notice of her and say "awww". She is the most loved dog in the world.

As long as they're not being hurt, why the outrage? The colour will probably wash off (just like a cute little Santa outfit) or hair will grow back its normal colour.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, l do, believe me. But l also get annoyed about people making their pets look ridiculous. People should respect animals not make them look silly.

See my post above.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    How the h*ll can dying a dogs fur pink save lives. Very lame excuse imo.
    Btw. people do not get poodles just to give them a silly haircut and show them.....they happen to be very intelligent dogs.

Yep, you got me, dying the dog pink to raise money for Cancer Research UK (represented by the colour pink) has nothing to do with saving lives.

Not all owners do so please excuse me you are right, but my point stands.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with the dog being dyed with a beetroot based vegetable dye, apparently it was shampooed in and rinsed after 5 minutes. Plenty of owners with white pets use a whitening shampoo which doesn't bleach the pets but brightens the fur/coat. A lot of owners use flea repellent shampoos. On my Yorkie who is beautiful and I would never dye he is bathed weekly ( He's a poo roller, cats, bird, foxes any poo he can find) his shampoo smells of baby powder hardly natural for a dog.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if she wanted to do it for charity, why not dye her own hair. That poor pooch.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Well a pink coloured flaming dog would really get my dander up! :p

Perhaps I should have said a pink coloured bloody dog.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tfan26 wrote: »
    IT'S NOT HER DOG! It belongs to her friend Sophie Sumner:

http://myprojects.cancerresearchuk.org/fundraise/fundraising-pages/pinkdarcydog

This is the page she set up.

Hmmm only £1493 raised against the £10000 target.

I think Emma needs to donate £8507 to make this right. She probably earns that in about 90 seconds.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Hogs Head wrote: »
    1) Emma Watson said on Twitter that it isn't her dog.

2) :D at the OTT comments on here. It's only a dye-job; it isn't like the dog has been chained to the wall with handcuffs and a rope. I think it looks cute. And I very much doubt the dog cares whether it's pink, blue, yellow, mauve, or tangerine. It seems happy.

Going by the comments on here, you might as well say: "DON'T GIVE THAT DOG A HAIRCUT. IT DIDN'T ASK FOR IT!! HAIRCUTS ON DOGS ARE UNNATURAL. DOGS ARE NOT MEANT TO LOOK PRETTY".

Typical DS :D

Indeed left to their own devices dogs would be rolling in unmentionable things all day and covered in fleas and blood from what they last caught.