• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    The Berlin Wall....
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Almost 30 years ago now, where does the time go! :o

I can never remember where I was when the wall came down, I must have been working away from home that week and not seen much TV because I heard about it a day or so later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna_W wrote: »
    Girls's blue mascara is gorgeous :)

I think they quite like the dressing up for different periods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    The problem for me is having the same family throughout... I don't know how old Rochelle and her husband are but they have had no idea about 50s or 60s life. 70s got a bit better but they are now in their "comfort zone" but are incapable faced with microwaves, etc

I posted earlier, (from memory) 52 and 53. Just look them up on the BMD Index.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I didn't study the credits, but I reckon it's a good bet the old boxes/packets came from Robert Opie's Museum of Brands (a fab place to visit if you're in London).
    I would not be surprised if it is not too difficult to print off the labels and packets, the manufacturers probably do it all the time when testing new items so there might be commercial companies that will run a batch off for TV and film people.
  • Options
    David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Where was this filmed? It really looks like a street I knew in west London
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blimey I remember Food and Drink with Jilly Goolden and Oz Clarke..it was hilarious :D

Oz Clarke when he had hair.........:D
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    The house looked like the Bullseye Bully's Prize Board tonight :D

I remember my mum having that microwave. Think she still has the cookbooks that came with it.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    daicoll wrote: »
    Are they just the most irritable family in the Uk.? I would hate to live next door to them. I bet he never buys anyone a pint..
    In 40 years this family have not had one chippie.....roll eyes.
    Woodbine wrote: »
    They should give Rochelle her own cooking show, it would be disastrous but highly amusing. I could watch her trying to cook all day.

The 80's, the decade I was born.
    I would like to know what this family doe for meals in the real world.
    Woodbine wrote: »
    People seem to think just because Rochelle is a woman she should automatically know how to cook. But when the husband usually does all the cooking it should come to no surprise she's not the best in the kitchen, it's only easy if you know how. I say this every week, but I would be so much worse than Rochelle in the Kitchen.
    see below
    davor wrote: »
    People think that Rochelle should know how to cook not because she's a women, but because she is in a programme that features lots of cooking and home made stuff.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    I wonder where their house is? It kind of looks like Twickenham area, somewhere like that.

East London, Because when Rochelle walked out of the Butchers the other week, the sign over the door said East London Butchers & I think they live in Walthamstow or some where in the area because when the where asked to go out for the night I recognised where they were straight away:o:

Edit: The Butchers is called the East London Sausage Co and is in Walthamstow so the Family do live in East London, Walthamstow
  • Options
    JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didnt make sense when the mother said, she didnt like the microwave meals because the family seemed to be divided, her and her husband worked and the kids could look after themselves. In real life though they do both work, so how is that different to what they did in last night's programme.

I must say that i have never seen a more miserable faced woman, as the mother she constantly looks like she's got a bad smell under her nose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    East London, Because when Rochelle walked out of the Butchers the other week, the sign over the door said East London Butchers & I think they live in Walthamstow or some where in the area because when the where asked to go out for the night I recognised where they were straight away:o:

Edit: The Butchers is called the East London Sausage Co and is in Walthamstow so the Family do live in East London, Walthamstow

Just use Google!
    Brandon Robshaw was born in London in 1961. He has lived in Oxford, Swansea and Paris, but has ended up living in Walthamstow, East London, about a mile from the house where he was born
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verrillion wrote: »
    On Semolina tapioca ground rice they are all very hard to find in stock at most supermarkets now due to no demand apparently plus shelf space.
    A few years back did the going back to sample old fare but found a good recipe for semolina that is used in in a lemon soufflé. Yummy.

I love semolina and have found no difficulty in finding it in Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons or the Co-op. I haven't tried anywhere else.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Just use Google!

I did now using google maps to work out the road they live in:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually bought Mr Motivators Bums and Tums video, unfortunately I think it went to a charity shop many years ago.

My son was still sitting in a high chair when Lizzie was on doing her exercises and he used to try to copy her doing them. Later on she did a programme for little ones with a person dressed up as a bear, called Joggy Bear. We had a video of that and my son used to love it. It brings back lovely memories.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennyuk wrote: »
    It didnt make sense when the mother said, she didnt like the microwave meals because the family seemed to be divided, her and her husband worked and the kids could look after themselves. In real life though they do both work, so how is that different to what they did in last night's programme.

I must say that i have never seen a more miserable faced woman, as the mother she constantly looks like she's got a bad smell under her nose.

She was doing the point of the series and was comparing it to the previous decades when meals had always been a family time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We remember that too, Dh just said it was made by Findus and he thinks it was in the 80's.

They were made by Birds Eye too and were just called "Meal For One". They were definitely about in the early 1970's.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still an interesting programme - the food they are choosing is pretty bland, unless the producers are saying choose this particular one from the food survey. Does anyone think the parents look too old to have teen and younger children - they must have had children when they were 35 or so?

They haven't done a nice pasta bake in the oven or indeed a decent roast dinner. Showing the extremes of a decade does not give a true representation.

An average weekly menu in the 1980s would be along the lines of

Fish (Fingers), Chips and Peas
    Spaghetti Bolognese
    Chicken Curry with Rice
    Cheese Tomato Pasta Bake
    Ham, Egg and Chips
    Pizza
    Sunday Roast Dinner

Trying to cook a dinner in a microwave was futile - however if a chicken cooked in 35 minutes - how did they spend 2.5 hrs and end up with crunchy vegetables??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Still an interesting programme - the food they are choosing is pretty bland, unless the producers are saying choose this particular one from the food survey. Does anyone think the parents look too old to have teen and younger children - they must have had children when they were 35 or so?

They haven't done a nice pasta bake in the oven or indeed a decent roast dinner. Showing the extremes of a decade does not give a true representation.

Spaghetti Bolognese
    Chicken Curry with Rice
    Cheese Tomato Pasta Bake
    Ham, Egg and Chips
    Pizza
    Sunday Roast Dinner

Trying to cook a dinner in a microwave was futile - however if a chicken cooked in 35 minutes - how did they spend 2.5 hrs and end up with crunchy vegetables??
    Because sister grim ( the mother) didnt put the veg in water, before putting it in the microwave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    She was doing the point of the series and was comparing it to the previous decades when meals had always been a family time.

So why did they complain that the 50's wasn't a family meal time, the dad ate his meal on his own he was complaining about how he didn't like that.
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole series is flawed with contradiction and inconsistencies.

That mad woman is utterly bonkers, but a high achiever in the real world.

Strange old series.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spaghetti Bolognese
    Chicken Curry with Rice
    Cheese Tomato Pasta Bake
    Ham, Egg and Chips
    Pizza
    Sunday Roast Dinner

I don't think they're too old - not everyone chooses to be parents in their 20's ! As for the food, people ate far better meals than Rochelle was making. My Mum worked part time but we never had convenience food at all. Every week we had roasts, stews, homemade pies / puddings. Fish and chips occasionally from the chip shop on a Saturday lunchtime was the only ' convenience ' meal bought in. Pot Noodles, Vesta and Pizzas never ! We didn't have a microwave until the 90's, and Mum only used it for reheating and defrosting. I think she would have had the sense to cook the vegetables and make a gravy on the hob whilst the chicken roasted as well ! It would be interesting to know Rochelle's family background and find out about who did the meals in her home - her typical Jewish mama doing all the cooking or servants perhaps ? That might explain her uselessness in the kitchen.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - As my daughter says, Rochelle has an 'unfortunate resting face'. She has one of those faces whose mouth naturally turns down at the corners, and it's something I don't suppose she can't do much about! She does also spend a lot of her 'not resting face' time looking perplexed about everything though - and, for what it's worth, I don't think she's putting on any kind of act (I know someone who's very like Rochelle - lovely, sweet, but infuriating! :blush::) )

Spaghetti Bolognese
    Chicken Curry with Rice
    Cheese Tomato Pasta Bake
    Ham, Egg and Chips
    Pizza
    Sunday Roast Dinner

Because sister grim ( the mother) didnt put the veg in water, before putting it in the microwave.

Nor did they put their veg, with a few splashes of water, in a dish with a cover (e.g. cling film) so it was never going to cook! I either use a pyrex dish with its lid, or a dish with cling film to cook veg like cauliflower and it comes out perfectly cooked... although I have to admit to using the 'veg' setting which cooks according to weight, rather than making up the timing myself, so I'd expect it to be perfect - Rochelle's early model would have expected her to read the book to find out how long to cook it for... but it would definitely have told them to cook the veg in a covered bowl with a few tablespoons of water, so I'm really :confused: as to why they were doing on an uncovered, unwatered plate.

My mum's first microwave was bought in about 1984 when I was 17 - she had a Phillips one without a turntable, which was one of the only brands that didn't have one.

As someone for whom 'real life' really started kicking in during the 80s when teenage years turned into early 20s, it's been a good episode in terms of recognising people, events and food!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    Did Rochelle say "f*** it" when she gave up on the hula hoop?
    We had a bugger and a piss from her as well!

Proper fishwife, isn't she?
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    This is definitely middle class cooking.

As much as I enjoyed the show, it does have a very twee middle class feel to it.

No surprise really they had a former banker as a guest rather than a miner.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why did they complain that the 50's wasn't a family meal time, the dad ate his meal on his own he was complaining about how he didn't like that.

Sorry, I haven't watched the 50s yet keep meaning to get it on catch up. 60s and 70s were mostly family meals though.