Options

In season and a menace!

kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
Forum Member
Hi everyone, I've seen some great advice in here so I hope someone come help me. I have googles but haven't found anything specific to my problem.

Now as we know I love my staffy cross to bit but in the past few weeks (her second season) she has turned into a nightmare - disobedient, snarky and snappy, overly boisterous, recall has gone out of the window, barking constantly at anything and everything, destructive and just generally pushing boundaries she wouldn't push before.

I don't know if it's a season thing or a teenage thing she's 15 months but it seems to have for worse since she started displaying season signs.

Can anybody help me or give me tips to survive this? I would never get rid but my patience and sanity are being severely tested!

Comments

• Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will have to have your dog spayed to stop this .

The behaviour of an unspayed female dog will sometimes change dramatically when she is in season, and as it is recommended that female dogs are not spayed until after they have had their first season, this is something that all owners of female dogs or puppies will have to deal with at least once!

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/how-bitches-behave-when-in-heat.html
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this is one of the reasons I always say spay girls, they change so much in season and many of the changes get worse as they age too. Only ever kept one female entire and always regretted it. They are so much easier when they are spayed.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only solution is to spay her. Nothing else will work because once she's in season her drive to breed is way higher than her loyalty towards you. Looking after an unspayed bitch during seasons is very taxing and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Either you spay her or you'll have to put up with her acting like this a couple of times per year.

Far better to get spayed - eliminates the risk of uterine infection (about 25% of unspayed females will get this and it requires an emergency spay) and there are enough staffy and staffy like breeds needing homes as it is without putting even more puppies out there. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your advice :)

I did plan to spay her after her 1st season but money was an issue and then the 2nd season came around quicker than I thought. I have taken all your comments and advice on board and will definitely get it done once this is over.

Thank you
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an entire bitch who has severe mood swings during her heat cycle. The only way is spay - I'm afraid nothing else works, except pregnancy and as you know in your breed that would be extremely inadvisable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I have an entire bitch who has severe mood swings during her heat cycle. The only way is spay - I'm afraid nothing else works, except pregnancy and as you know in your breed that would be extremely inadvisable.

And that only cures it for that season too so unless you plan 2 pregnancies a year for life it is no answer at all.

As I said we did keep one entire luckily she was not a menace just became escaper of the year so we had to double check everything to make sure we didn't accidentally let her out. I wouldn't do it again.
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vets won't normally spay until mid way between seasons so ideally about 3 mths after the season as it can be dangerous as there is more blood in the tissues. Also the hormones need to settle or you can end up with a dog that is permanently like yours is!

With dogs there is an injection they can have if they get the smell of a bitch to calm them down but I don't know if there is anything similar for girls once it starts. I know you can get meds to supress the seasons but personally I think it's wrong to mess with them like that.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely wrote: »
    I think you will have to have your dog spayed to stop this .

The behaviour of an unspayed female dog will sometimes change dramatically when she is in season, and as it is recommended that female dogs are not spayed until after they have had their first season, this is something that all owners of female dogs or puppies will have to deal with at least once!

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/how-bitches-behave-when-in-heat.html

Actually, it is recommended to spay BEFORE the first season to all but eradicate the chances of mammary tumors in later years. Every season they have increases the chances of getting tumors. You also avoid issues like the OP is having and have no risk of 'accidents'. The risks associated with a spay are no greater before or after the first season - indeed after a season you need to wait 3 months for the operation to be safest.

More and more vets are offering early spays - 16 weeks is becoming common - and the evidence is that there is no increased risk.

The spay itself does carry a very small risk of causing incontinence regardless of before or after first season (plus the tiny risks all operations carry) but this is insignificant compared to the benefits of a spay.

Spaying a bitch as soon as possible is a no brainer.

Dogs on the other hand, not so clear cut.:p

OP, friends of mine had a English Bull that they showed and she was the softest thing going - unless she was in season. Then she was unmanageable and quite frankly dangerous. They had to get her spayed (ending her show career and any chance of pups) but she was fine afterwards - her normal, non-hormonal lovely self.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very glad my vet waits until after the first season, most dogs have not finished growing by their first season I would worry about changes in their bone structure if they were spayed earlier. Very early spaying seems popular in some countries and they are seeing problems with growth plates not setting and some very lanky dogs developing.
  • Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I'm very glad my vet waits until after the first season, most dogs have not finished growing by their first season I would worry about changes in their bone structure if they were spayed earlier. Very early spaying seems popular in some countries and they are seeing problems with growth plates not setting and some very lanky dogs developing.

Yes I agree, also some dogs get incontinent if spayed before the first season. That is why my Vet suggested waiting until after the first one, because my dog was dribbling when exited. I have a friend who's dog was done before her first season and she was incontinent till the day she died.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Def get her spayed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the idea of very early spaying, seems like abuse. All of my girls have been spayed after their first seasons but 2 still went on to develop spay incontinence.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am rather concerned that you mention recall is a problem. You really must not let her off the lead around other dogs. It's incredibly unfair to male dogs and to your dog too. If you won't keep her safe during her season, you need to get her spayed. I may have misunderstood and you mean recall in the safety of your garden or house but if not please don't add unwanted puppies into a world that has enough already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riversmum wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of very early spaying, seems like abuse. All of my girls have been spayed after their first seasons but 2 still went on to develop spay incontinence.

I have had all but one spayed and never had a case, my MIL had all hers spayed and had two cases. It really seems a lottery, I wonder what research has gone into it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had all but one spayed and never had a case, my MIL had all hers spayed and had two cases. It really seems a lottery, I wonder what research has gone into it ?
    My vet was saying recently that there has been quite a lot of research recently on the effects of early neutering looking at both incontinence but also as to whether there is any increased risk of cancers, especially bone cancer.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 15 months, she is also just reaching social and physical maturity, so she may start to have her own ideas about what she wants to do!

If you are not planning to breed and she is in good health, I would spay asap, there are schemes run by the Mayhew and Dogs Trust that help bullbreed owners on low incomes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

Thank you for your replies :)

Just to clarify that I don't plan to breed her, I was advised to wait until her first season before getting her spayed which I had planned to do. However due to financial problems at the time I wasn't able to do that and now I have to wait until this season finishes.

She wasn't like this during her first season at all, she was clingy and emotional but not as bat shit crazy as she is this time around.

** when I said recall I meant at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just to clarify that I don't plan to breed her, I was advised to wait until her first season before getting her spayed which I had planned to do. However due to financial problems at the time I wasn't able to do that and now I have to wait until this season finishes.

She wasn't like this during her first season at all, she was clingy and emotional but not as bat shit crazy as she is this time around.

In my experience it just gets worse each season and they go on until they die no menopause for dogs.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I don't know why you were told to wait until she'd been in season once.. If you're struggling financial, the Cat Protection might give you a voucher for the vets.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that only cures it for that season too so unless you plan 2 pregnancies a year for life it is no answer at all.

Oh yes I should have made that clearer, one pregnancy wont cure the crazy next season!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Oh yes I should have made that clearer, one pregnancy wont cure the crazy next season!

I had a feeling it was what you meant but thought it worth making clear.
  • Options
    KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Echoing what everybody else is saying, she needs spaying ASAP. An 18 month old dog is roughly the canine equivalent of the terrible two's in kids, training tends to go out of the window if you don't work through it, and as yours is 15 months she's not far off that. On top of that, being in season, her hormones will be driving her crazy with the need to find a dog, and it will override any training you've given her, no matter how obedient she usually is your hours of recall will not compare to nature telling her body to do what it's telling her to, it will win out everytime. That coupled with her age, it's no wonder she's not listening to you! I would be getting her booked in as soon as you can do so, but definitely wait until this season is past, if you spay before her hormones have settled down again, you could be stuck with her like she currently is permanently which is the last thing you want!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's not just seasons you may have to contend with those false pregnancies are no fun for a dog either and often end up costing far more than spaying would have done. Think our late Rosie who was not spayed cost us close to £800 in her life time in vet fees for phantom pregnancies and another £400 last year of her life in cancer treatments. So much cheaper and better if we had got her spayed when we should have done.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not saying that you shouldn't get her done, but our 2 haven't been done and all they do when they're on is go to bed and spend all day there, sleeping, they don't even want to go for a walk