Options

How is Live From Studio Five still on air?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can remember watching the launch of this programme and, like the rest of humanity, being absolutely horrified at what I saw. It was beyond awful - and seemed sure to be canned ASAP. And yet, after a year on air it's still running.

How is this programme still on? I flicked over the other day and it was just awful - Kate and whoever the new presenter were were shockingly dull, had no chemistry and had absolutely nothing interesting to say.

I'm not sure of the ratings; but I from what I can gather it's still below 300k (being beaten by the Freeview channels in many cases). Remember the days it was suppose to be opposition to The One Show (averaging around 3-4 Million).

So, why considering the programme remains awful and has terrible ratings is it still running? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    It's part of their news quota.

If they ditched it they might have to do some proper news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's part of their news quota.

If they ditched it they might have to do some proper news.

Could they not get better ratings/provide better television quality by attempting to do proper news? I'm sure that Stuido Five is cheap to make - but surely the damage it's doing to the channel by being so horrific is pretty pricey.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Dreadful show, can't stand it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Have they still got the fuzzy soft lighting?

Have only seen the odd minute or two - couldn't stand to watch it due to Melinda Messenger, Ian Wright and Jane Middlemiss - all shouty/me, me, me people!
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    lozza73 wrote: »
    Have they still got the fuzzy soft lighting?

Have only seen the odd minute or two - couldn't stand to watch it due to Melinda Messenger, Ian Wright and Jane Middlemiss - all shouty/me, me, me people!

I haven't seen it for a while, but I think Jayne and Kate are the only presenters now.

I've just checked. Apparently Melinda left after a disagreement with Ian. Ian was then sacked because he fell out with the show's bosses. He sounds like a classy guy! He's not exactly a talented presenter, so the diva strops are a bit much.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredibly dull programme with two incredibly dull presenters. They tell you last weeks celebrity news like it's hot off the presses and they have the exclusive, their studio guests are usually rubbis, the set looks awful, that Kate woman can't shop smiling like a Cheshire cat with her big horse teeth and, and, and and...!ARGH!

The show just annoys me on so many levels! It needs to be axed, or a major revamp if it seriously wants to be some sort of contender in that time slot.
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasnt it cut right down to only a 1/2 hour now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunnyfoo wrote: »
    wasnt it cut right down to only a 1/2 hour now?

Yes it's 30 mins......
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Can't believe it's been going over a year! I remember watching the first show vividly (well the first 15 mins anyway...), it was one of the best examples of car crash TV you'll ever see!

There's no auidence for that kind of show at that time. Older people are watching the news and younger people watch Hollyoaks.
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still on because it's moved on from being a complete car-crash, watch-it-through-your-fingers-in-horror-because-it-has-to-be-seen-to-be-believed show to a fairly bland, uninspiring, and inoffensive show.

It's also the only heat magazine type show on terrestrial TV so there must be some sort of audience for it - it's essentially the original launch programme 'Exclusive' slightly reworked, and that ran for about 5 years or so (I think). It's the sort of show I could see sitting quite comfortably in a pre-Hollyoaks slot on Channel 4, where it would probably get higher ratings; l think quite a lot of people pass over Channel 5 automatically to be honest.
  • Options
    birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like it. I watch it when I remember/have time.
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would probably be on one of the TVs in my house if it didn't clash with It Takes Two. Perfectly fine for the background!
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    To be fair, although it's not my cup of tea, this show has improved a hell of a lot since Ian Wright's departure.

Unfortunately a lot of the viewers were scared off for life having witnessed him on it in the early days where he would talk over everyone and the whole thing was unwatchable.

Although it hasn't been axed yet, Channel 5 are looking to ditch BSkyB as their news provider. BSkyB currently produce Live From Studio Five. So it's safe to say that if C5 end the contract with BSkyB early, which is reported to be happening, then Live From Studio Five will come to an end.

They might try and seek a like-for-like replacement from whoever comes in to replace BSkyB, possibly ITN, or try something else. Time will tell, but I can't imagine it's got too long left.

As others have mentioned they've already reduced the running time from 65 minutes to 30 minutes.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's really no need for C5 to be doing news at all. We have a choice of BBC1, ITV and C4 not to mention the various news channels, we don't need any more news programmes however downmarket they may be.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Move it post 9pm and make it saucier, topless darts or something :) It can't get any trashier.....

Think viewing figures might increase by 1 tonight, as I'm curious just how awful it has become ;)
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for the presenters
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think for what it is, it's very good.

If you don't like celebrity gossip you will not enjoy it. But if you do, it's a perfect round-up of the day's showbiz news and I think Kate and Jayne are very likable. It is a huge improvement on the original programme and works much better in its 30 min slot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes Loose Women look like highbrow tv. Absolute complete and utter crap. I won't comment on the presenters as i'd only get banned.