Options

The Horse Hoarder C4 20.30- 21.00

BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
Forum Member
This seems a strange half hour programme as there is normally quite a few cruelty cases in one show :confused:

I will no doubt cry buckets. Do not know why I put myself through it :o:cry:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for the man.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone spookily similar to this, animal hoarder in denial, been at war with the RSPCA for five years.

As much as I feel sorry for the guy, i really think the RSPCA need to be a little more firm. Leaving the animals to suffer for months to give people, who IMO are often quite unwell, to dither about pretending to rehome them is out of order.

The guy needs a psych assessment, the horses need taking by force else the case will just go round in circles until the guy dies :(
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I too felt so sorry for the man. The way he lost his daughter was awful :cry: And the way he lives is dreadful but he is surviving somehow. And like the neighbour said "where is the care for him" ?

He truly cares for those horse and the only ill treatment was not worming them. They are his life and ate better than him.

The bloody interfering idiot who reported him and the way the RSCA went about catching that poor horse was despicable :mad: So glad one of them fell on their arse :D
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sorry for Clwyd and very humbled by the lady who was helping him (sorry forgotten her name).

The RSPCA are about the wealthiest charity going so why are they not spending some of the their vast wealth on helping this man? It makes no sense to spend thousands taking him to court when the first priority should be paying for horse wormers and then rehoming the horses.

I knew a woman like this who spent her last pennies on her horses and often went hungry herself. Her home was just the same as this man's and her total life was her horses. Her life took a turn for the worse and her horses became her family and friends. Instead of helping her the RSPCA paid £25,000 to take her to court and she won!

They accused her of neglecting one horse which was kept with the others and which she was feeding but as it was very old, it wasn't able to keep weight on. She told them this but they wouldn't listen and took her to court. She was able to provide bills from the feed merchants, the farrier and various neighbours (myself included) who knew she spent more time in the horses field than she did at home.

I thought it was very telling that the old boy managed to catch more horses in 2 hours than a whole team of RSPCA staff could catch the previous day.:D:D
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The horses were fine and healthy! As the woman who is helping him said, there is no market for untrained horses and if the RSPCA get them they'll be put down.

What a waste of space, money and time the RSPCA is! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I felt so sorry for this man.
    There was a story in the Daily Mail recently about the stupendous amount of money the RSPCA spend on prosecutions, and they themselves destroy 50% of the animals they take in. These horses would have met the same fate. The recession has taken a HUGE hit on the horse industry- people cannot afford to keep them anymore- so who would buy them?

This man clearly is deeply wounded from the death of his daughter and looking after these horses keeps him busy and gives him purpose. The horses clearly adore him and I did not see one that looked neglected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clwyd knows more about horses than the RSPCA could ever dream to know. The horses yes needed separating, and the youngsters selling and certainly they needed worming and the numbers bought down but I've seen much much much worse conditions of horses in private livery yards with so called 'professional' owners. His horses were in lovely condition and had respect for him.

The RSPCA need bringing to task, they have been allowed too much freedom because of their 'charity' status, no questions have been asked to the extent of their spending. It's about time programs like this were made which highlight their appauling treatment of people and animals.

Luck for Clwyd people are understanding his plight and helping him directly, unlike the so called professional charity who just blundered in and caused way more distress and discomfort to the animals they are supposed to be protecting. Anyone interested their is a page on Facebook supporting Clwyd and Michelle, and a page for the horses being rehomed.
  • Options
    Zayna99Zayna99 Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely DISGUSTED with the way those horses were treated by the hapless RSPCA numpties. There was nothing wrong with them other than they hadn't been wormed in a while! One old pony who looked a bit bony, but that's what they look like in their old age! I was fuming, the poor man was doing his best to look after them and someone who knows nothing about horses complained.

I've never seen such a bunch of healthy animals, they'd plenty of weight on and thick winter coats, they were having a ball! Yes, the colts should have been sold on or gelded, but maybe if the RSPCA had spent money on doing that and providing wormers, rather than dragging poor Clwyd to court, that foal wouldn't have died.

I hope this programme leads to recognition for Clwyd and the lovely lady who helped him, and that he gets some help to look after himself, because there's clearly nothing wrong with his livestock.

AND.. he shopped for his clothes in the RSPCA charity shop!! They don't deserve his custom.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sian2011 wrote: »
    Clwyd knows more about horses than the RSPCA could ever dream to know. The horses yes needed separating, and the youngsters selling and certainly they needed worming and the numbers bought down but I've seen much much much worse conditions of horses in private livery yards with so called 'professional' owners. His horses were in lovely condition and had respect for him.

The RSPCA need bringing to task, they have been allowed too much freedom because of their 'charity' status, no questions have been asked to the extent of their spending. It's about time programs like this were made which highlight their appauling treatment of people and animals.

Luck for Clwyd people are understanding his plight and helping him directly, unlike the so called professional charity who just blundered in and caused way more distress and discomfort to the animals they are supposed to be protecting. Anyone interested their is a page on Facebook supporting Clwyd and Michelle, and a page for the horses being rehomed.

I agree. I was first alarmed a few years ago when they spent an exhorbitant amount on a new plush HQ. It is a difficult one though as they are obviously needed with animal cruelty cases being so high .People like Clwyd need support and compassion however and the RSPCA should save their power tactics for the cruel sadistic morons who end up swaggering out of court after dreadful cruelty putting two fingers up at suspended sentences. It is these people who they need to target by insisting the laws be tightened to give magistrates more clout
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blueju wrote: »
    I agree. I was first alarmed a few years ago when they spent an exhorbitant amount on a new plush HQ. It is a difficult one though as they are obviously needed with animal cruelty cases being so high .People like Clwyd need support and compassion however and the RSPCA should save their power tactics for the cruel sadistic morons who end up swaggering out of court after dreadful cruelty putting two fingers up at suspended sentences. It is these people who they need to target by insisting the laws be tightened to give magistrates more clout

The RSPCA turn a blind eye to some cruelty/neglect cases because they are scared of what might happen to them if they wade in. It is much easier to target little old ladies and people who are down on their luck (like Clwyd).

There is a small field not far from here full of horses which belong to a "settled" traveller family. I have reported them on several occasions and so have other local people.

Nothing ever happens to them and they never even tidy the field up. The field is FULL of ragwort in the summer. There is barbed wire, gas canisters, old cars, piles of wood, scrap metal and barely a blade of grass. They very seldom have hay, they just occasionally get a load of carrots dumped in the mud. There is a pony there at the moment who has been on a tight tether for a week.

The family are known for their violent outbursts and the RSPCA keep well away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    The RSPCA turn a blind eye to some cruelty/neglect cases because they are scared of what might happen to them if they wade in. It is much easier to target little old ladies and people who are down on their luck (like Clwyd).

There is a small field not far from here full of horses which belong to a "settled" traveller family. I have reported them on several occasions and so have other local people.

Nothing ever happens to them and they never even tidy the field up. The field is FULL of ragwort in the summer. There is barbed wire, gas canisters, old cars, piles of wood, scrap metal and barely a blade of grass. They very seldom have hay, they just occasionally get a load of carrots dumped in the mud. There is a pony there at the moment who has been on a tight tether for a week.

The family are known for their violent outbursts and the RSPCA keep well away.

I know what you mean...and its a big worry. But good on you..and those reporting them. The poor pony. Years ago, the Police wouldve accompanied the Inspectors, but theres hardly any cops now so thats probably gone by the board. The council should enforce some bye laws to sort these people out especially over the state of the field...its an accident wating to happen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean...and its a big worry. But good on you..and those reporting them. The poor pony. Years ago, the Police wouldve accompanied the Inspectors, but theres hardly any cops now so thats probably gone by the board. The council should enforce some bye laws to sort these people out especially over the state of the field...its an accident wating to happen

Doesn't do us much good though ... or the poor horses.

TBH I couldn't care less what the field looks like because I can't see it from my house BUT I do worry about the horses.
    One day I went past and saw a tiny hoof sticking up out of a pile of planks of wood. I realised it was a tiny foal which had fallen into the wood pile and there was no way for it to get out because another load of wood had then fallen on it. The mother was whinnying which is what alerted me. I went and told the owner and he said he'd go and rescue it. It was lucky it was close to the road or it could have been stuck for days and then died because they don't check the field every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't do us much good though ... or the poor horses.

TBH I couldn't care less what the field looks like because I can't see it from my house BUT I do worry about the horses.
    One day I went past and saw a tiny hoof sticking up out of a pile of planks of wood. I realised it was a tiny foal which had fallen into the wood pile and there was no way for it to get out because another load of wood had then fallen on it. The mother was whinnying which is what alerted me. I went and told the owner and he said he'd go and rescue it. It was lucky it was close to the road or it could have been stuck for days and then died because they don't check the field every day.
    I really dont understand how the hell these ****ards get away with it. Id be sickened having to live near that TBH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really dont understand how the hell these ****ards get away with it. Id be sickened having to live near that TBH.

Because the RSPCA are scared of them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the RSPCA are scared of them!

Jesus. Even the women RSPCA officers in Liverpool years ago would put the fear of God in anyone. Could do with recruiting a few ex-squaddies then to deal with them....or are they too 'corporate' to want a bit of muscle in the ranks