"Guess we're finding out why so many on DS are unemployed"

artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
Forum Member
✭✭
This thread is created in reaction to THIS particular post about the faux outrage of the scientists shirt.

It's this last line that made me think....
"As astrophysicist Katie Mack said earlier this week "I don't care what scientists wear. But a shirt featuring women in lingerie isn't appropriate for a broadcast if you care about women in science"

Nor is it appropriate in the workspace. I guess we are finding out why so many on DS are unemployed."

A pretty damning generalisation about the DS Massive. :o

So, I wonder... how many here on DS are actually unemployed, and is it as the poster apparently thinks?

Poll options

Employed (inc Self/Voluntary)
Unemployed
Retired

(BTW Kelo - this isn't a personal dig at you so please forgive me for using your post. It just made me think how some people generalise). :kitty:

Are you.... 241 votes

Employed (inc. Self/Voluntary)
79% 191 votes
Unemployed
11% 27 votes
Retired
9% 23 votes

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Where's 'of independent means?' :D
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is the 'men who lunch' option?
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "On The Sick" should have been an option.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about "in education." Is that unemployed?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm employed in real life, but apparently I'm unemployed in DS-land. Not sure which one to tick.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    What about "in education." Is that unemployed?
    I would say if you're an adult in full time education then that would count as employed.

Try not to make the poll too complicated lol

It's just a straw poll in reaction to the quote from another poster that apparently "so many people on DS are unemployed". ;-)
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    (BTW Kelo - this isn't a personal dig at you so please forgive me for using your post. It just made me think how some people generalise). :kitty:

You are doing a poll based something Keiō Line said? The poster who claimed to know the Queen and Ronald Reagan? Who has a secret group on here that monitors posters? That runs a cat sanctuary that moves round the country? That employs a lady as a receptionist who is blind and deaf*?

*Many more crazy Keiō posts are available that I have forgotten.

Anyway, full time student, was employed up to this and my degree has full time work placements.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am employed, but I think the shirt was crass, and don't believe it was faux-outrage.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't got time to have a job.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Employed, full time.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am not participating with this poll so i guess we're not
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    You are doing a poll based something Keiō Line said? The poster who claimed to know the Queen and Ronald Reagan? Who has a secret group on here that monitors posters? That runs a cat sanctuary that moves round the country? That employs a lady as a receptionist who is blind and deaf*?

Anyway, full time student, was employed up to this and my degree has full time work placements.

Keio also has two noses. :D
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I am semi retired. Work part time and have income from occupational pension. Not old enough for state pension yet.

I am a lady who lunches.....occasionally.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No option for people who are full-time parents either, or carers.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I'm employed in the private sector, but apparently I'm supposed to be unemployed or work for the public sector because I've expressed some left-wing opinions on the politics forum.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't followed the thread in question. I might check it out later.

To answer the poll, I am employed (well I'm a partner). Why is there an assumption that DS members are unemployed?
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ahh Kelo (can't do the o on the pad, or more like don't know how)
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yup! :o

Supposedly happily and comfortably retired here after nearly 50 years of full or part time employment. Just got offered and accepted a well paid little job for a few hours a week.
    I've also done a variety of voluntary work and still help out with an animal charity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Glorified work experience.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Full-time Masters student, so I guess that would count as employed?
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing it's more likely that people are on DS because they are unemployed or otherwise not working, rather than unemployed because they are on DS ;-)
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full-time Masters student, so I guess that would count as employed?

Why would it count as being employed? :confused:
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have added an option for students and people who are ill and can't work.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey......over 82% employed and just under 8% unemployed. :o:o

Figures the Government can only dream about! :D
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget, it seems that students are having to click the 'Employed' box too. So that will throw the figures off straight away.