Options

Universal Remotes

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions on the most reliable universal remotes? The main things it would be used for are a Sony VCR and Toshiba TV.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Philips SRU 5150, it cost me about £20 on Ebay but probably more in the shops.

I have found it easy to use and it's nice looking.

It has a built-in database and learning.

You can have 5 different devices and step through them with the [SELECT] button.

It has an LCD (which is backlit) but the keys themselves are not backlit. The keys are a nice rubberey material and are nicely laid out.

There is no means to add a model that is not in the database though. If you have the original remote that is not a problem since you can learn every button.

The Learned buttons remain even after changing the batteries.

The database is very big and includes of course all the big names and also some weird companies I've never heard of.

It's my favorite remote now, I have used universals in the past and they were a pain, this Philips one is very nice and not too dear. It uses three AAA batteries (supplied) and is silver and black in colour.

I use it to control a CRT TV (Hitachi), a projector (learned from projector remote), stereo, PVR and a mix of stereo/PVR/Projector on one of the "Devices"

Ebay (Not the seller I bought mine from and I paid a bit less)
    Philips SRU5150 EBAY
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much for that information, sounds great - it is actually for my Brother and I am seeing him on Friday so in the meantime if anyone else has suggestions, that would be great.

Thanks again to KaptainKitten :)
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a genuine One For All preferably one that claims to be Future Proof, if your Brother invests in new equipment in the future a good OFA will still work it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I have a Logitech Harmony One.

Overall I find it pretty good, it's flexible but certainly not cheap. You can configure activities so it sets all devices to the correct mode for that activity - receiver to the correct input, TV to the correct source, devices on or off etc. You can then change all in the press of a button.

It is quite long winded to configure, and there are still a couple of things that are not quite as I would like, but overall it is working pretty well for basic tasks. When it comes to changing settings, using more advanced functions, etc. then it is not so successful.

I had one big problem that I could not resolve with my TV - it needs the power button pressed for a couple of seconds to come on - and so I contacted Logitech. The response was really quick, problem solved! :D

Stephen Fry wrote an interesting Blog on the subject recently - the day I received my remote :o - which gives an interesting view, and loads of comments. Not a lot of love for them there!
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harmony all the way, there are different remotes in all price ranges and one you have it set up it works a treat.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The remote I mentioned SRU5150 is easy to set-up and use but is not one of those all-singing/dancing types like the £60 Logitechs.

The Philips is good for the money though and is very nice looking.

Many people struggle with those ultra-configurable Logitechs but once programmed I'm sure they are very powerful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lopek wrote: »
    I have a Logitech Harmony One.

Overall I find it pretty good, it's flexible but certainly not cheap. You can configure activities so it sets all devices to the correct mode for that activity - receiver to the correct input, TV to the correct source, devices on or off etc. You can then change all in the press of a button.

It is quite long winded to configure, and there are still a couple of things that are not quite as I would like, but overall it is working pretty well for basic tasks. When it comes to changing settings, using more advanced functions, etc. then it is not so successful.

I had one big problem that I could not resolve with my TV - it needs the power button pressed for a couple of seconds to come on - and so I contacted Logitech. The response was really quick, problem solved! :D

Stephen Fry wrote an interesting Blog on the subject recently - the day I received my remote :o - which gives an interesting view, and loads of comments. Not a lot of love for them there!

How are you still finding this?

Interested in one of these and trying to get some feedback.

Was hoping it could control a dimmer switch and plug sockets as well.
  • Options
    Mike_PMike_P Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Have both a Philips SRU5170 and SRU5150, bought from Currys for just less than £25 and £5 respectively in the last week. The SRU5150 is described as having VCR and VCR2 settings but mine only has VCR - is this right? Not too much of a problem as despite needing it to operate two VCRs I will set a Panasonic one up described as a PVR. Reset it to its factroy default settings but still only VCR listed (it does correctly list two TVs, TV and TV2)

The comment on this forum that it only supports the models it knows is not correct - you simply set it up as any model it knows and then learn all the commands for the model you have from your remote.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a Harmony 885 for a couple of years now, and found it fantastic for TV, DVD, TiVo, XBox, Foxsat HDR, Amp, and recently PS3 (with logitech adapter).
    I downloaded their software first and saw how it all worked and that really sold it to me. You can see if they support all of your hardware before you buy. Once you buy it you just download the configuration into your remote in a few minutes!
    Logitech support is also good. I told them that my charging dock wasn't connecting very well and they sent me a new one, even after my first 12 months of ownership.
    I think I'm right in thinking the new Harmony One lacks the "teletext" buttons my Foxsat uses?
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are on the LCD