Options

Help! DVD/Bluray/PS2 Slimline

Hi,
Just joined today, so go easy on me!

I need some advice with equipment. I've just bought a Samsung 6-series LCD TV Full HD and had Sky+ HD installed. I'm really happy with the picture quality so far, even on the normal channels. I've done away with my VCR, but as part of my previous Sanyo package, I had a Sanyo DC-TS750 Home Theatre System. I've linked this with the scart cable to my TV (pre-HDMI) and the surround sound is working reasonably well. Once the kids go to bed, I've got to switch it down anyway, as it vibrates through the floors upstairs. I can also switch on the DVD and selct the TV source on the remote and the TV then plays through the surround sound as well. I had thought about buying an upscaling DVD player to give me HD quality picture when watching standard DVD's and hoped to find one that would allow me to use existing speakers. I've now read that a lot of HD LCD TV's will upscale the picture anyway, so thought this might be a waste of money. Next I thought about buying a stand alone Bluray player, but the chances of me actually buying Bluray discs at present, are minimal. This would probably also mean that I couldn't connect my old Sanyo Home Theatre.

I've now been given the chance of a new Sony slimline PS3 and wondered if this would be a better option. It would give me the chance to play Bluray discs and also DVD's (as well as the obvious gaming mode for the kids). Can anyone advise the best solution, as I don't want to fork out much more at the moment. I'm hoping that if I play anything through the PS3 with HDMI connection, if I switch on my Sanyo DVD player and select the TV function, then hopefully the sound will then be heard through the 5.1 sound system.

All advice welcome!

Comments

• Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i got a PS3 just in last month, assuming the deals on that would be better than on the new one.

deals for 249 with games/films at present. older fat 80Gb is supposed to be maybe better than the new one. Blockbusters maybe have best deals

if you are happy to pay extra for the games facility, i would go that way.

It plays BluRays brilliantly, and upscales DVd's brilliantly.

The gamepad can be used to control playback, and is easy once you get used to it.

Personally, I am glad I got the PS3 - eg I have spent longer playing MotorStrom than I have watching films!

As long as your home cinema has some sort of line input facility (eg optical, or even just phonos) you will be able to get the ps3 sound fed through that. Otherwise you will just get TV sound.

I am sure it says if you activate a sound output, then sound through the HDMI will be cut.

but I havent tried
    a) my wife wont let me have speaker wire all over the place and
    b) my philips home cinema hasnt got any external inputs anyway! - just a dvd player