Options

The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    It's a lazy eye, and i have basically no sight with the right eye at all.

I haven't tried 3D in recent years. But i did with older movies, and it never worked. I was just seeing the left side, and i was wondering why everyone was enjoying this film so much, when all i could see was a blurry picture, but in red only from the left side of the older type specs.

I know the tech is way better now. But i imagine i'd need some sight in my right eye for it to work. :(

I have a lazy eye and I can see 3D. You might want to pop in to Currys (or round to a friend's with a 3D tv) and ask to sample the 3D on their 3D tvs to see if you can see the effect or not.

At least you'd know for sure.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    No. Because we can read :P

*runs and hides*

Edit: Actually, we called him Smorg when we were about ten, but we soon learned the subtleties in names.

We? Your name's not Smeagol is it?
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    I have a lazy eye and I can see 3D. You might want to pop in to Currys (or round to a friend's with a 3D tv) and ask to sample the 3D on their 3D tvs to see if you can see the effect or not.

At least you'd know for sure.

Great idea. I'll try that. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Can't wait to see it!
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incidentally, has anyone else been pronouncing Smaug as Smorg their whole life, only for the film to make it Smowg, or is that just me?
    I pronounce the "aug" part as in "August", without any "r" sound. And I pronounced "Sauron" the same way. It sounded weird when I first heard it as "sour-on", like sour grapes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I pronounce the "aug" part as in "August", without any "r" sound. And I pronounced "Sauron" the same way. It sounded weird when I first heard it as "sour-on", like sour grapes.

Precisely, although I'm not sure I was the same with Sauron, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Our condescending friend from earlier in the thread notwithstanding.
  • Options
    Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incidentally, has anyone else been pronouncing Smaug as Smorg their whole life, only for the film to make it Smowg, or is that just me?

Always Smaug as Smowg, as it doesn't have an 'R' in it :D

And always pronounced it Sou-ron, lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always Smaug as Smowg, as it doesn't have an 'R' in it :D

As Brangdon mentioned above, neither does the word August.

That's the beauty of the English language I guess, so many ways to pronounce so many similar words!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it in 2D last night. Will be back to see 3D next week. loved it. Sure it is slow and meandering but Im a Tolkien fan... I want backstory! Richard Armitage was brilliant. I was the first to mention his name on a long casting thread, a few years back on one of the Tolkien forums PJ uses, so I take full credit for casting him! Was only the third person to mention Martin Freeman, as well.

The acting was brilliant I thought but will be overshadowed by the critiques of the film that find it overlong and without enough narrative drive. Personally, am cool with it and will be back at least twice more!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised it's only got 65% on Rotten Tomatoes. Even 'Attack of the Clones' got 67%.

I'm hoping to see 'The Hobbit' next week. I could've seen it a few days ago at a cinema near me that's showing the film at 48fps but unfortunately I'm now seeing it in 24fps at a different cinema.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    BIG fan of the LotR's 'films'.....But sadly, this lift me cold....no heart or soul....just cheesy action scenes with the Dwarfs and a lame Gollum scene.

"Do they do Chips"....says it all really....plus the casting of so many B list Brit actors...Martin Freeman, top of my list....and Sylvester McCoy, what's that all about.

And their's two more.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Brangdon mentioned above, neither does the word August.

That's the beauty of the English language I guess, so many ways to pronounce so many similar words!

So true, lol, I get what you mean, but that's down to dialect, and not always the way it's spelt, some say August likeOrgust, it would be pronounced aw-guust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All in all I loved the film and will more than likely be will be seeing it again or more than twice on the big screen.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Precisely, although I'm not sure I was the same with Sauron, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Our condescending friend from earlier in the thread notwithstanding.

Oh don't take things so seriously you tool (of Saruman). I was clearly joking... :D (the clue's in the 'runs and hides'.

Crikey! People take things way too seriously!

/gollum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it's only got 65% on Rotten Tomatoes. Even 'Attack of the Clones' got 67%.

I'm hoping to see 'The Hobbit' next week. I could've seen it a few days ago at a cinema near me that's showing the film at 48fps but unfortunately I'm now seeing it in 24fps at a different cinema.

That makes me feel physically sick, the idea that the world's film critics think AOTC is better than The Hobbit(1), the mind boggles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    Oh don't take things so seriously you tool (of Saruman). I was clearly joking... :D (the clue's in the 'runs and hides'.

Crikey! People take things way too seriously!

/gollum!

Yebbut, after the runs and hides bit you posted:

we called him Smorg when we were about ten, but we soon learned the subtleties in names

Which is about as condescending as you can get and was an edit, you came back into your post to add it, and I'm sorry, if people are being d***s in internet forums I think they should be called up on it.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scenes in Moria, during LOTR, are a lot more depressing now. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter how people pronounced names when reading the book? Chill out guys.

While reading A Song of Ice and Fire i always pronounced Arya's name as "A-ree-a", whereas in the Game of Thrones TV show they tend to pronounce it "Ar-ya", it's just how people read it, not the end of the world.

For the record though, i always pronounced Smaug as "smawg":p
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Yebbut, after the runs and hides bit you posted:

Which is about as condescending as you can get and was an edit, you came back into your post to add it, and I'm sorry, if people are being d***s in internet forums I think they should be called up on it.

I frequently edit my posts to make them more coherent. That said, I was talking about my group, actually and I was about to ramble on about names... until I realized it was actually very dreary. I've not been condescending online in all my years of web posting and I'm not about to start now but if you want to read into something that isn't there and start a pointless fight then please do it with someone else. I'd much rather have happy chats about dwarves and trolls (the non-annoying non-Internet kind).

Edit: You seem like a decent geeky person from your post history so there's really no need for all this grumpiness. Especially when it wasn't intended :)
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm the same, always pronounced them that way too. Still, it's not as bad as the 70's cartoon version with Aruman the wizard. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen the film, and I thought it was magic. :)

I was amazed at how quick the time went. Any shorter would be too short. Some have said it takes a while to get going, but for me it was wonderful to be in the Shire, and in Bag End with Bilbo. I could have had another hour of that without complaint.

Martin Freeman was spot on, Richard Armitage was just wonderful, McKellen and Serkis were their usual excellent selves.

Loved the dwarves singing, loved the fight scenes, loved the wargs, loved the riddle scene, loved the scenery, loved the sets, loved the music, loved pretty much everything, really.

I watched it in 3D, no idea what fps it was, but it was great anyway.

I now want to see it again in case I missed something!

Shreya9 wrote: »
    I've seen this film 3 times and I can't believe the bloody critics have been so down on it. What the crap were they watching?
    I think if you're a Lord of the Rings fan, you'll just be happy to be taken to stunning Middle-earth again. I know I was.
    The first time I saw some of the characters we fell in love with and heard those amazing themes from LOTR, I got so emotional.
    :

Agree about the critics. I felt the same about seeing Middle Earth again. I had tears in my eyes when we saw Rivendell - sounds daft, but it was just so lovely to see it again.
    nethwen wrote: »

1. Does Peter Jackson capture the humour of The Hobbit? I think that would be one of the most important aspects of book to screen for me. I have just re-read the book for the umpteenth time, and I still chuckle through all of chapter one as well as in other parts of the book. I'm especially a little worried that Martin Freeman might be a bit more serious in his role as Bilbo? I think if PJ gets An Unexpected Party right then I'll be happy - especially in Bilbo's initial conversation with Gandalf.

2. Has Sir Ian McKellen changed his voice as Gandalf? I watched the clips on Film 2012 and I thought he sounded different. :confused:

Plenty of humour, nethwen. Freeman is serious when he should be and funny when he should be, just right.

Gandalf sounds the same as in LOtR to me.

Stansfield wrote: »

"Do they do Chips"....says it all really....plus the casting of so many B list Brit actors...Martin Freeman, top of my list....and Sylvester McCoy, what's that all about.

To be fair, the chips line was a bit jarring. But only a bit.

And I thought Sylvester a tiny bit OTT. But only a bit.

Neither thing spoiled the film for me at all.

Nice to see Figwit, aka Brett, (aka "Britt") from the Flight of the Conchords in there - I hadn't realised he was in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I absolutely loved the film, can't wait for the next instalment! It met all of my expectations, and I thought the casting was brilliant. I've written a full review http://thesteelreview.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Does it really matter how people pronounced names when reading the book? Chill out guys.

While reading A Song of Ice and Fire i always pronounced Arya's name as "A-ree-a", whereas in the Game of Thrones TV show they tend to pronounce it "Ar-ya", it's just how people read it, not the end of the world.

For the record though, i always pronounced Smaug as "smawg":p

I always pronounce Sauron as "Sour-on" or "Sour-ron" but didnt read the books :p
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    BIG fan of the LotR's 'films'.....But sadly, this lift me cold....no heart or soul....just cheesy action scenes with the Dwarfs and a lame Gollum scene.

"Do they do Chips"....says it all really....

Felt exactly the same way (barring Gollum, as I thought Riddles in the Dark was the highlight of The Hobbit).

None of the heart, depth, or poignancy of the Lord of the Rings films.

I fully understand that The Hobbit is a children's novel and this is playing to that, and there can never be the emotional depth or poignancy as LotR, but though the Hobbit novel is light and has some humour, it's not juvenile, which is how I found the film. Chips, farts, rabbit-sleighs, silly quips from goblins. And a mini-goblin on a swing? Yeah. Not my kind of thing, a shame as The Lord of the Rings trilogy form some of my favourite films ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Exceeded all expectations. Don't understand the complaints with pacing; I couldn't believe how fast the time flew.

The Gollum scene was fantastic and I was smiling all the way through it. Got goosebumps when all the familiar musical themes were played.

Minor quibbles: there was quite a lot of exposition, and how did the dwarves hang on to the tree branch for like five minutes?