The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No only where the screen has been upgraded to allow for HFR screenings

this is a list of all cinemas that are showing it in HFR 3D

Thanks for that. I watched the 8pm 3D performance at Empire, Greenbridge, Swindon. We thought we had booked a non HFR performance however the images were spot on for all the description of HFR that I have read on line :confused: I have not seen a film (inc 3d) look like that in the cinema before :confused:
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I watched the 8pm 3D performance at Empire, Greenbridge, Swindon. We thought we had booked a non HFR performance however the images were spot on for all the description of HFR that I have read on line :confused: I have not seen a film (inc 3d) look like that in the cinema before :confused:

just looked on the Empire website and they are showing it in HFR at that cinema,they haven't shouted it from the rooftops like the other chains

Empire Cinemas showing it in HFR

Basildon (Screen 12)
    Birmingham Great Park (Screen 9)
    Newcastle (Screen3)
    Poole (Screen 5)
    Swindon (Screen 1)
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me in the fight scene with the trolls, one of the trolls said something straight out of a brit film, can anyone remember what?

Sorry, what I am referring to here is their cockney accents. They said something quite funny that is a well known phrase but cant for the life of me remember what it was now :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Andy_C75 wrote: »
    Saw it the other night in IMAX 3d (although probably this liemax everyone talks about)
    Must say i throughly enjoyed it, the 3D was pretty good, lots of motion blur though in the wider fast moving scenes.
    I will be trying it in HFR 3D just to see the differance (shame there isnt a proper IMAX 3D near me to see it in all its

Real IMAX (Bradford any way) are showing it using film at 24 frames per second, loads of motion blur in the fast moving scenes.

I know it was film because on the 4th floor of the museum you can see into the projection booth and watch the gigantic reels of film going around.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He sounded how Gandalf the Grey sounded to me in Fellowship
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Oh trust me, there's plenty of funny moments!! They defo keep the humour! I also found myself smiling pretty much all the way through it anyway. There's so much nostalgia in this movie to massive LOTR fans... I can kind of understand how people must have felt when hearing a new Star Wars was coming out. Thank God this movie is no Phantom Menace.
    I've just seen the film, and I thought it was magic. :)

I was amazed at how quick the time went. Any shorter would be too short. Some have said it takes a while to get going, but for me it was wonderful to be in the Shire, and in Bag End with Bilbo. I could have had another hour of that without complaint.

Martin Freeman was spot on, Richard Armitage was just wonderful, McKellen and Serkis were their usual excellent selves.

Loved the dwarves singing, loved the fight scenes, loved the wargs, loved the riddle scene, loved the scenery, loved the sets, loved the music, loved pretty much everything, really.

I watched it in 3D, no idea what fps it was, but it was great anyway.

I now want to see it again in case I missed something!

Agree about the critics. I felt the same about seeing Middle Earth again. I had tears in my eyes when we saw Rivendell - sounds daft, but it was just so lovely to see it again.

Plenty of humour, nethwen. Freeman is serious when he should be and funny when he should be, just right.

Gandalf sounds the same as in LOtR to me.

To be fair, the chips line was a bit jarring. But only a bit.

And I thought Sylvester a tiny bit OTT. But only a bit.

Neither thing spoiled the film for me at all.

Nice to see Figwit, aka Brett, (aka "Britt") from the Flight of the Conchords in there - I hadn't realised he was in it.

Thanks very much for your replies everyone and for putting my mind at rest. :) Sorry i'm late in replying back to you all. :o

I still haven't seen the film yet but am very much looking forward to watching it all the same.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it on 2D on Friday and 3D tonight. Brilliant. Martin Freeman's performance is pitch perfect - esp that pivotal moment when
    "pity stays his hand" and he decides not to kill Gollum.

The whole climactic
    fightin orcs
    scene is great in 3D - we ducked when
    the fiery pine cones started flying towards us

My ten year old - who was not much of a LOTR fan - has seen it twice now and wants to go again!
  • ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just looked on the Empire website and they are showing it in HFR at that cinema,they haven't shouted it from the rooftops like the other chains

Empire Cinemas showing it in HFR

Basildon (Screen 12)
    Birmingham Great Park (Screen 9)
    Newcastle (Screen3)
    Poole (Screen 5)
    Swindon (Screen 1)

Just looked on their website, doh, (I didn't book it) and the 8pm performances are advertised as HFR which would make a lot of sense.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    2D is in 28fps anyway,so there would be blur there

It's 24 fps, not 28 fps - you're confusing it with 48 fps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    It's 24 fps, not 28 fps - you're confusing it with 48 fps.

sorry mr nitpicky;):p
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if it was HFR at Bluewater actually, so that's good to know as it's only a short bus ride away. All the other places would have been a bit of a trek to get to.

I just need to apply for a bank loan to afford a ticket now ..
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it Azog will serve as the antagonist in the Battle of the Five Armies now? I know Azog is dead in the book and his son Bolg leads the goblins in the battle - but it seems likely they are going to be merged into one character?

I know an actor has been cast as Bolg, but I suspect they are just going to use the name for some random orc henchman.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if it was HFR at Bluewater

The cinema's web site says it is. In fact all the cinemas I've looked up, the film is listed as "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D" if it's in HFR 3D. And likewise simply "3D" if it's in 24fps 3D.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    lea27 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me in the fight scene with the trolls, one of the trolls said something straight out of a brit film, can anyone remember what?

He's not the Necromancer, he's a very naughty boy?

You were only supposed to blow the bloody wargs off? (ooh er)
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw This last night and was a bit disappointed. Being fan of the LOTR universe I didn't think the long running time would bother me but it did in this instance, it seemed padded out with unnecessary stuff just to extend the running time and there was a lack of focus in the narrative. It just kind of trundled along with bits happening here and there.

In my opinion making this three instalments was a mistake, there is just not enough solid story to make this trilogy as long as the originals, it will just feel padded out. I get that parts of the book have been included and fans will appreciate this but I'm not sure how well that translates to film, some scenes really dragged out to the point you just wanted them to end.

I did see positives though, the environments were stunning and the acting was decent, Martin Freeman did a really great job and I think his was the stand out performance. the others did a good job but it did feel like a greatest hits of the originals. I'm sure when all three are out there will be a great film in there somewhere if you get rid of the padding, I can see a few fan edits coming out for this.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    I saw This last night and was a bit disappointed. Being fan of the LOTR universe I didn't think the long running time would bother me but it did in this instance, it seemed padded out with unnecessary stuff just to extend the running time and there was a lack of focus in the narrative. It just kind of trundled along with bits happening here and there.

In my opinion making this three instalments was a mistake, there is just not enough solid story to make this trilogy as long as the originals, it will just feel padded out. I get that parts of the book have been included and fans will appreciate this but I'm not sure how well that translates to film, some scenes really dragged out to the point you just wanted them to end.

I did see positives though, the environments were stunning and the acting was decent, Martin Freeman did a really great job and I think his was the stand out performance. the others did a good job but it did feel like a greatest hits of the originals. I'm sure when all three are out there will be a great film in there somewhere if you get rid of the padding, I can see a few fan edits coming out for this.

One person's padding is another person's delightful detail.

Personally, I could have happily sat through a longer film, I never felt I wanted any scene to end!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I could have happily sat through a longer film, I never felt I wanted any scene to end!

The strange thing was that I didn't find it too long. I just didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. It was like Jackson had found a way to make a very long film go by quickly without it being much fun to watch. Serkis excepted, of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I see what your saying but I found the padding disjointed the film personally, it kind of meandered from one scene to the next with no real focus. The padding in the originals was great because the narrative was so strong but The Hobbit just felt a bit pointless to me. I felt like I might as well watch fellowship because this was just a watered down version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kermode made some very valid points here, without trashing the film, fair review IMO: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muD8SHUV3YU
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    Ha, yeah that mirrors word-for-word everything some of us have been saying pretty much. A rather flawed, unfocused film, but with some enjoyable moments.

It's a 3/5 movie for me.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it this afternoon in 2D

Visually, it's stunning but I thought the storytelling was a little lacking. I'll admit to nodding off at some point in the middle (blame it on an excellent lunch) until an elbow in the ribs woke me up.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it for the 2nd time in 3D (HFR version apparently) and previously saw it on the IMAX (not the HFR version), didn't notice any bloody difference at all!!!!
    Maybe the Edinburgh cineworld isn't fitted with HDF, and I was lied to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it for the 2nd time in 3D (HFR version apparently) and previously saw it on the IMAX (not the HFR version), didn't notice any bloody difference at all!!!!
    Maybe the Edinburgh cineworld isn't fitted with HDF, and I was lied to.

Screen 7 is according to Cineworld
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I hate hen books are translated into films ... Ya always have peope given out that things were left out .. or in this case added in ...

If you read a book before you see the film (Harry Potter, Lovely bones etc.) these comments always appear. I havent read the Hobbit book or the LOTR ones so for me the film was amazing. No quibbling here about things like that. Just an amazing film and I cant wait to see it again ... and I cant wit for the next one. I always feel reading the books spoils films, but I'm not much of a reader at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I hate hen books are translated into films ... Ya always have peope given out that things were left out .. or in this case added in ...

If you read a book before you see the film (Harry Potter, Lovely bones etc.) these comments always appear. I havent read the Hobbit book or the LOTR ones so for me the film was amazing. No quibbling here about things like that. Just an amazing film and I cant wait to see it again ... and I cant wit for the next one. I always feel reading the books spoils films, but I'm not much of a reader at all.

I have read all of them,but im ok with the additions because they are coming from within the Middle Earth books anyway
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    ...The Hobbit just felt a bit pointless to me. I felt like I might as well watch fellowship because this was just a watered down version.
    Yes, there was an element of deja vu, like you were watching the alternative version of The Fellowship for kids. I guess it would of been better if the the Hobbit had preceeded Lord of the Rings in it's cinema release.