Options

Anyone else have no interest in emigrating?

November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
Forum Member
This is inspired by another thread.

A lot of Britons say they would emigrate in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose, whether it be to Australia, New Zealand, the US or elsewhere but I for one am not so keen on the idea. Perhaps because I've got little experience of travelling outside the UK, but then how many others who say they would emigrate have actually been to the countries they would like to go to?

I suspect with a lot of people it's a case of "the grass is greener" syndrome, rather than having first hand experience with the location of their dreams. We are notorious for slagging this country off even though there is a multitude of far worse places to live.

If ever I get to see more of the world I might feel differently but until then I don't believe I'm in a position to say I would emigrate to so and so.

Would you emigrate if you could and why?

Comments

• Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Save up, take six months off, and go backpacking around the world.

You might change your mind.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've lived abroad twice so it wouldn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had alot of experience in traveling outside of the UK and suspect highly in many ways the grass probably is greener alot of the time
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me, I'm not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Save up, take six months off, and go backpacking around the world.

You might change your mind.

No chance of that in my job. :)
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to register my non-interest in emigrating in this thread of non-interest. It is also worth noting that I also have no interest in fly-fishing, going to church, and collecting old coins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance of that in my job. :)

I gotta know what your job is now
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. my work mates have already said i can move to bulgaria with them when they go if i want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scamps wrote: »
    I've had alot of experience in traveling outside of the UK and suspect highly in many ways the grass probably is greener alot of the time

If you've got experience of travelling abroad I guess you have a valid reason to think that. If you don't then you're just being idealistic.

That's a generic "you" by the way, not you specifically Scamps. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I gotta know what your job is now

I work part-time at Asda. My annual holiday entitlement is 28 days including bank holidays.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I've travelled enough to realise that I've absolutely no desire to live anywhere else.

An occasional fortnight abroad on holiday is enough.

But a warmer and drier Edinburgh would be nice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work part-time at Asda. My annual holiday entitlement is 28 days including bank holidays.

Honestly babe, **** off ASDA and do some traveling.. :) it may make you appreciate this country even more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fink wrote: »
    I would like to register my non-interest in emigrating in this thread of non-interest. It is also worth noting that I also have no interest in fly-fishing, going to church, and collecting old coins.

Heh, this thread is really aimed more at those who do have an interest in emigrating, especially those who have never actually set foot to wherever it is they fancy living. I could have chosen a better thread title if I'm honest.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have lived abroad in the past, and couldn't wait to get back to these shores. The grass certainly was not greener. The same problems existed in Greece (when I lived there) that existed here - it was just sunnier. You can have too much sun as well. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Honestly babe, **** off ASDA and do some traveling.. :) it may make you appreciate this country even more.

I'm starting to give it some thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to give it some thought.

There are some fantastic experiences to be had in this little old world of ours.. UK and aboard
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Heh, this thread is really aimed more at those who do have an interest in emigrating, as well as being a discussion point for our idealistic views of life abroad. I could have chosen a better thread title if I'm honest.
    If that was your intention, you couldn't have chosen a worse title, to be honest!
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit: so this thread was not on the same subject as the title (and the OP) so my post is no longer valid.

Never mind eh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    If that was your intention, you couldn't have chosen a worse title, to be honest!

Anyone is free to contribute to the thread of course, whatever their stance on emigrating. But yeah, you're right. Oh well, never mind. :o
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    I don't. I've always loved travelling and exploring the world but I could never imagine living anywhere outside the UK. If I was very wealthy, I'm sure I'd have a couple of holidays homes or hotel suites in a few places I am particularly fond of, but I'd always have to have my base here.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heh, this thread is really aimed more at those who do have an interest in emigrating, especially those who have never actually set foot to wherever it is they fancy living. I could have chosen a better thread title if I'm honest.

:D I am confused at the best of times, but I am even more confused now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could live in another for a few months or do a year abroad but couldn't live anywhere else but here permently. I like it here too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D I am confused at the best of times, but I am even more confused now.

It's okay, I confuse myself sometimes.

Allow me to elaborate, the primary purpose of this thread was to seek people's reasons for wishing to emigrate, in addition to discussing our ideas of life abroad and how realistic they really are, but it was also to see if anyone else felt the same way as myself.

I hope that clears things up a little. :o
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

your job is worse than mine. if you get the opportunity you have to travel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scotty22 wrote: »
    your job is worse than mine. if you get the opportunity you have to travel.

What concerns me is what I'm going to do with myself after I've finished my travels. Jobs are like gold dust these days.