Mad Men - season 6 (US Pace)

Comments

• miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its getting interesting now - definitely warming up with the merger. Will be interesting to see how Peggy and Joan get along now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    SXTony wrote: »
    Although Don was the only one against her doing what she did.

exactly, so Don was against what she did and yet he easily got rid of Jaguar making her 'sacrifice' seem pointless - and if she could put up with dealing with him then Don could. I think Don's showing some very risky 'impulsive' behaviours this season starting from the cigarette advert/letter last season. And the fact he is shagging the not so special doctors wife because the risk factor is higher, maybe another extension of this. Its like he's nudging his own self destruct button, seeing how far it goes before it depresses completely...
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad that the Doctor's wife has ended it with Don.

Interesting plot with Joan and that annoying guy from Accounts. I liked how she saved his job in return.

I loved the scene with Roger sacking Burt Peterson.

Oh, and so much for Pete's bachelor pad! Weasel...

I'm still interested to see how it will work after the merger. OK, they've got rid of redundant lower and middle-level people, but there's a lot of unnecessary management now, too, surely? e.g. how will it work with two Creative Directors?
    Forum Member
    really didn't like Don in that episode. But am confused, read some reviews on it about Don deliberately being like that, to get her to end it - based on the argument he heard and the fact she 'needed' him - which I thought would scare him right off.

I guess with it being called 'man with a plan' and him getting Ted drunk to get the upper hand, I guess I just missed the point! And his reference to saying he didn't do the merger to get Peggy back, I need to rewatch it. What did you guys think? a plan or just Don getting very odd/dark/creepy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I think if Don had planned to have Sylvia leave him then it must have been on a subconcious level , ie the man hates himself so much that he treats other people badly in order for them to leave him, which means he can then carry on feeling sorry for himself. As for Sylvia 'needing him', I took this as the main reason for Don being attracted to her, he likes to be in control of his women, it's all about power with Don. If Don has a plan then it's to maintain this power and control over people and I have a strong feeling we might see him struggle with this in the next few episodes what with the company reorganisation and rivalry with Ted. I've got a feeling we're going to see the fall of Don soon, they can't make him any more of a bastard that's for sure and he's going to have to develop some sort of life threatening illness if the writers expect us to start feeling sympathy for him again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did wonder myself whether he was doing that deliberately to make her leave him... Even for Don, he was being a right bastard...
    Forum Member
    I feel like someone slipped mushrooms in my tea just watching that episode.

Lots of subtle points - the look when he saw Peggy comforting Ted, the Peggy and copy guy scene was very good but it was just all soooo bizarre.

I'm reserving judgment on this season until I watch the whole lot again. Its all very deep...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I did wonder myself whether he was doing that deliberately to make her leave him... Even for Don, he was being a right bastard...

Well, I guess the creepy stalker stuff means he wasn't doing it to make her dump him... So, must have just been Don being even more of a bastard than usual
    Forum Member
    don't just loosing it isn't he? wonder if he'll be in a mental institution next season!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duck! :D

I liked the Joan & Bob stuff. Maybe he is just "a nice guy" after all.

Peggy... what a way to end it with someone ;)
    Forum Member
    I think that was a really good episode. I think, as the show is starting to baffle me somewhat.

what a b*stard Don was to Peggy at the start ''he doesn't know you''

but if she is drawn to Ted and at the end twigged that Ted is really just the same as Don does that mean she really is secretly drawn to Don?

If I was her I would be hot footing it out of there, too much of a head ****. However for the sake of the show I really do want Peggy to have an affair with Ted but maybe she'll end up back with Duck...

I can't wait to see how all this pans out and who is Bob? there is something really off about him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else think of South Park at the start of the episode? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Did anyone else think of South Park at the start of the episode? ;)

Lol yup, I did!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    Disappointing episode. The only highlight was Sally Draper's adventures once again.

The Ken shooting incident reminded me too much of the lawnmower accident. Seems like they tried to rehash that. If the big secret of Bob Benson is that he lied about being a manservant, then that's a let down. I was expecting something bigger than that.

Also getting bored with Don being the saviour in pitch meetings.
  • rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creepy Glen's back :-O
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing episode. The only highlight was Sally Draper's adventures once again.

The Ken shooting incident reminded me too much of the lawnmower accident. Seems like they tried to rehash that. If the big secret of Bob Benson is that he lied about being a manservant, then that's a let down. I was expecting something bigger than that.

Also getting bored with Don being the saviour in pitch meetings.

I knew they would use him to parallel Don Draper's beginnings.

Highlight of this week was Don screaming "WAH! WAH!"

This Facebook recap is great: http://www.happyplace.com/24552/mad-men-facebook-recap-season-6-episode-12

Also, I thought Carla had returned this week when someone said her name. I thought that was weird.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    rachie wrote: »
    Creepy Glen's back :-O
    And he had a friend who looked as if he was in the French Resistance.

Did like sally at the Boarding [Finishing] School...Betty very proud.

Pete & Bob [the new Don]...was crazy, what was that all about.
    Don saves the Day, again...but still curls up at the end... Fetal position.

Chevy & Ken, do not go together.:eek:
    Not sure about Ted&Peg too.

Logo news
    :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor, poor season, in my opinion.

The Bob Benson storyline went no where. Is he just creepy for the sake of it?
    I'm a little bored of Don but Jon Hamm can always nail a monologue better than anyone else.
    Not enough Joan and Roger, even though it looks like we're going back to that storyline. Came a bit too late though.
    Forum Member
    I think it was a poor season, but I think (or really really hope!) its setting up the finale. They already know how its going to end so wonder if it needed some ground work and thats what this season was?...but if this is a grounding for the next season its risky as they could loose fans.

The Bob Benson storyline and all that stuff with Petes mother just seemed unnecessary a non story. Could have done with out all that and seen more of Joan and Roger etc.

And why didn't we see Pete lay into Bob for the whole car incident? that just went no where. Everything with Bob just went no where. They need to get rid of Bob.

Don is facing up to his past, he was loosing it. So how after a stint of rehab/cleaning up his act will this effect him in the next season? could be interesting.

Peggy - I think Don's absence and Ted treating her like that is going to be the making of her.

And it will be interesting to see how the California thing is going to figure.

Shame, it did seem weak, and if the final season is weak I will feel very cheated. :(
    Forum Member
    oh wow I just read this on facebook

''Sally is growing up in an aristocratic version of a whorehouse.''

Thats pretty much spot on, she's seen a fair amount to tait her, like her father. And the fact he bonded with his eldest son, might be a pre cursor to him finally bonding with Sally?

I think I need to re watch it again, I think I missed quite a bit of the subtleties like the dantes inferno stuff and the death references in relation to Don through out. Maybe this season was just a tad deeper than the others :o
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The Bob Benson storyline and all that stuff with Petes mother just seemed unnecessary a non story.

I disagree, it was all run up to that awesome telegram. I had to pause it just so I could reread it.

http://i.imgur.com/g2kA4Ra.jpg

Just hilarious. "Deepest" condolences.
    Forum Member
    there was a review on this season and focused on the Avon account with Joan and how we the viewer never got confirmation of them winning the account. When Matt Wiener was interviewed he said he presumed that the audience would know that they won the account.
    The review whilst praising Mad Men did wonder if this season there was too much going on in the writers head, that they failed to put in the scripts...
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    For me, the last episode this week, was one of the best I have ever seen.

Don losing it with the Hershey's pitch, {"The only sweet thing in my life"} ending up with 'time off'.....Pete too had it bad, the Stick shift and Mum being overboard..."Honestly - I have bigger problems then this".

Bob has been a strange one this season, but seeing him carving the Turkey at Joan's....and Roger turning up, with a Box of Cranberry's, jars I'm guessing, was surreal....."Happy Holiday's".

And Peggy at the end, {Ted gone/going} in Don's Office....and then Don showing the Kids where he grew-up... "This is a bad Neighbourhood"..made for a jaw dropping ending.

:cool:
  • rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the finale and loved the whole season. The end theme being freedom. Hope Don comes back cleaned up after his enforced break. And poor Peggy! "I'm not that girl".
    The last scene outside Don's childhood home was very powerful.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    Great finale. The Hersheys pitch was sensational. Peggy looked incredible when she sexed things up (Elisabeth Moss is more attractive than people might think), Bob Benson's sabotage of Pete was a thing of beauty. Hopefully that was the last we saw of Megan.