Options

getting a persian kitten

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
Forum Member
Hi im thinking of getting a persian kitten in the new year. I have a little boy thats 1 and a half. He plays nicely with my in laws kitten. Never pulls or touches just throws the toys around. That kitten does scratch and bite my mother in law but its been ok with me and my kids. Now im reading thats what cats do scratch and bite. Im just feeling a little nervous.

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd wait until your boy is old enough to understand the cats needs and moods. Not all cats are scratchy and many are incredibly tolerant of being mauled about by toddlers, but many are not. And, of course, some children are much rougher than others!
    All in all its fairer on the cat and your child to wait. But once he is older I'm sure a cat will be a great addition to the family:)

eta - are you also aware that Persians need daily grooming? A short haired moggy may fit in to a busy life much easier.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    My cats almost had my childs face off 3 times:D He has had a big bleeding scratch from his forehead right down to his chin, and believe it or not they are always supervised just both are blooming quick but most of the time they're ok but he is a right pain in the arse now with the terrible twos and is constantly making a grab and trying to pull her tail. I wouldn't recommend having a kitten with a toddler but its your choice and yes they bite too and pounce.

Also Persians are generally house cats which adds another element of stress as the cats need to play and interact, mine thinks my child is the best toy ever and will leap on him from great heights or wait at the bottom of the stairs and fly at him, think she is having a terrible two period as well. A bog standard moggy that can go out would probably be better
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never have a toddler near any cat. They're not old enough to know that the cat is not a toy to be dragged, pulled, carried, poked at - and as much as every parent protests about how great their kids are with animals, I am involved in rescue/cat rehoming as see quite the opposite nearly every day. Also, as has been mentioned, Persians take a lot if daily grooming. Not good for a beginner or a busy household.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Persian smoke he is a loveable bundle of fluff who wouldn't hurt a soul ever. He does need to be groomed every day so he does not get matted. Winston will let me brush him but is not keen on getting it done.

I think Persian cats are the best breed but they are very pampered and don't like roughing it. For example Winston won't go out in the garden if it is too cold unlike a normal moggy who couldn't care less about the cold.

I don't have any experience with cats and young children but I have never heard of a cat viciously attacking anybody unlike a dog. Please make sure your son is not rough with the cat and that he claps it gently.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I have a Persian smoke he is a loveable bundle of fluff who wouldn't hurt a soul ever. He does need to be groomed every day so he does not get matted. Winston will let me brush him but is not keen on getting it done.

I think Persian cats are the best breed but they are very pampered and don't like roughing it. For example Winston won't go out in the garden if it is too cold unlike a normal moggy who couldn't care less about the cold.

I don't have any experience with cats and young children but I have never heard of a cat viciously attacking anybody unlike a dog. Please make sure your son is not rough with the cat and that he claps it gently.

I have seen several cats viciously attack people I used to own one the neighbours even shot it but it didn't get them anywhere, he used to rule the neighbourhood to the extent that people were afraid to step outside their door if they saw him. He used to leap out of trees onto peoples heads and everything:o

My latest cat has also had a go at a few people and several judges at her last show it was could not handle all across the board:D
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My sister still has a mark on her face from being scratched by a relatives cat when she was a toddler. I'm not sure of the circumstances, probably the cat reacted badly to her mauling it. But toddlers will be toddlers and cats will often react so it really is best to avoid the situation until the child can understand how to treat a cat and read its moods.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. my son doesnt like touching the in laws cat (which is a moggy) he goes to see it everyday. He might be different if it was our own cat. I could wait till this time next year. Im not worried about time and effort needed looking after a persian. Just didnt understand why mother in laws moggy was scratching and biting her when its fine with everyone else. Maybe she keeps picking him up or something. He is only couple of moths old and hasnt been nurtured yet
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's best to wait until the child is a bit older and understands that a cat is not a toy - cats will defend themselves if teased.

I had a Persian - she was a lot of work but I got into a routine of brushing and combing her each day, and bathing her eyes. She was a loving cat with humans but hated other cats. She prefered to be at home and was a bit picky with her food. She was a very loving cat and used to follow me around like a dog - I'd catch her gazing lovingly at me. Sadly she died a few years ago at 16 years old.