Options

Mcafee and windows defender issues

Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all. Right I got a new laptop a month ago and so it has been using the trial mcafee anti virus protection which it says expires today. Well I used to have Norton 360 on my old laptop but I have read that windows defender on windows 8 systems is better than Norton or mcafee. So I thought I would wait until the trial ran out and then turn on windows defender. However I cannot open windows defender because a message box appears saying it has been turned off. I cannot turn it on and I am thinking it is something to do with this pre-installed trial mcafee. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Go here and follow the instructions for removing the pre-installed McAfee product trial, about half way down the page:
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Don't register with McAfee, back out of that don't give them anything, just visiting the website is enough.

When you have got rid of the McAfee product trial, Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall will then start up. Go to Windows updates and update Windows Defender.

Check in the Control Panel that these two are indeed being used.

If you choose later on to install another AV/firewall then the built in Windows ones will be disabled.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny as hell, that. I couldn't stop laughing at one point. It sometimes had me in spasms of silent laughter.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Funny as hell, that. I couldn't stop laughing at one point. It sometimes had me in spasms of silent laughter.

Everyone I know loves it :D Wonder what Mr McAfee is up to these days?
  • Options
    Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Go here and follow the instructions for removing the pre-installed McAfee product trial, about half way down the page:
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Don't register with McAfee, back out of that don't give them anything, just visiting the website is enough.

When you have got rid of the McAfee product trial, Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall will then start up. Go to Windows updates and update Windows Defender.

Check in the Control Panel that these two are indeed being used.

If you choose later on to install another AV/firewall then the built in Windows ones will be disabled.

Hi thanks for the website link. I have gone into programs and uninstalled it and it says that all I have to do to make sure it is gone is restart the laptop. But the website says I will need to run a removal tool after the restart? Oh and Windows defender turned on by itself while mcafee was being uninstalled.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would still run the MCPR.EXE Removal tool. You may as well do that just to make sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    I would still run the MCPR.EXE Removal tool. You may as well do that just to make sure.

+1 to this.