Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Everything's better than Under the Dome! :D

Well, except for The Last Ship ;)

It has been a very disappointing season for new and returning scifi shows.

Under the Dome,
    The Last Ship
    Extant
    Dominion
    Defiance

have all been shows with poor writing, characters and acting.

But the worst thing about nearly all of them is that they just don't go anywhere. Sometimes literally.

I'm tried of watching shows just to have everything revealed at the end of the season, then a reset or another mystery for the next season, which is only revealed at the end of that season.

Mystery is all fine as long as it is revealed slowly at least.

Person of Interest have got it just right.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes me wonder whether Extant is the new Defying Gravity?

Briefly: DG: collection of astronauts, one gets pregnant, there's a strange "entity" on their spaceship that makes them hallucinate. Canceled after 1st series and american TV didn't even bother screening all of those.

Both were slow and lacked the ability to communicate to the viewer what they were about.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    It makes me wonder whether Extant is the new Defying Gravity?

Briefly: DG: collection of astronauts, one gets pregnant, there's a strange "entity" on their spaceship that makes them hallucinate. Canceled after 1st series and american TV didn't even bother screening all of those.

Both were slow and lacked the ability to communicate to the viewer what they were about.

It's certainly not defying gravity if you look at the ratings.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got really interested in this in the first episode - future technology, appealing characters, mystery and suspense - all made me want to know what was going to happen.

Have to say I got a bit exasperated by the end of episode 4. All Molly's attempts to find out what was going on and to escape from her shady employers seem to have done is slow the plot down by a couple of episodes!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything's better than Under the Dome! :D

Well, except for The Last Ship ;)(

The Last Ship is brilliant but only because it is hilariously bad. It's the most unintentionally funny show since Terra Nova.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The Last Ship is brilliant but only because it is hilariously bad. It's the most unintentionally funny show since Terra Nova.

It amazes me that something like 'The Last Ship' get commissioned when 'Tera Nova' gets cancelled.
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been a very disappointing season for new and returning scifi shows.

Under the Dome,
    The Last Ship
    Extant
    Dominion
    Defiance

have all been shows with poor writing, characters and acting.

I agree about most those shows but have to disagree about Defiance, I think the new season has been really good & a great improvement on the first season. I just hope they don't mess it up when they start to tie up the seasons storyline.
    I hated the 1st season bar the last 2 or 3 episodes so have been pleasantly surprised so far. I think they have realised the filler episodes needed to be better & have elements of the main seasons storyline in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moboloco wrote: »
    I agree about most those shows but have to disagree about Defiance, I think the new season has been really good & a great improvement on the first season. I just hope they don't mess it up when they start to tie up the seasons storyline.
    I hated the 1st season bar the last 2 or 3 episodes so have been pleasantly surprised so far. I think they have realised the filler episodes needed to be better & have elements of the main seasons storyline in them.

I gave up on Defiance half way through season 1 as it didn't seem to be going anywhere. If it really has improved then maybe I'll have to give it another chance.

I'm still not sure about Extant. The storyline is fairly dull but some of the future tech looks cool.

I'm sticking with The Last Ship as it's the best laugh I've had in ages.
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    It amazes me that something like 'The Last Ship' get commissioned when 'Tera Nova' gets cancelled.

The problem with Terra Nova was that I wanted all the characters from the main family to die and suffer horribly, which I suspect wasn't the intention of the scriptwriters.
    The Last Ship is almost as bad, but at least I don't hate any of the main characters enough to want them out of the picture.

It's the same reason I stopped watching 24 after the first series, I hated the pathetic mother and daughter so much I just wished their kidnappers would kill them. Have never watched it since.
  • Options
    racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The last ship is a masterpiece compared to Terra Nova though. I just view it as if it was a short eigthies action movie every week, then it's quite enjoyable.
    Extant is okay, nothing special but for a summer show I'm never expecting high art. Is it a mini series like Fargo, True Detective? Or is this meant to continue for several years? I hope it's just one season.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pretty much how I feared Berry looking in dire need of a senokot for most of the Episode.
    its such a shame the pace just totally fell away I don't understand why they do this surely better to have fewer episodes and keep the story moving rather than going from one dark room to another with just a few Cryptic lines
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    pretty much how I feared Berry looking in dire need of a senokot for most of the Episode.
    its such a shame the pace just totally fell away I don't understand why they do this surely better to have fewer episodes and keep the story moving rather than going from one dark room to another with just a few Cryptic lines

Well what a dreary episode that was. I'm not sure I can be bothered continuing with it.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is the first time I've ever seen Halle Berry in action. How did she ever win an Oscar? She's less convincing than Oscar Pistorious's defence.

The show as a whole is pretty bad. I don't know why I'm sticking with it to be honest.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Well what a dreary episode that was. I'm not sure I can be bothered continuing with it.
    This show is the first time I've ever seen Halle Berry in action. How did she ever win an Oscar? She's less convincing than Oscar Pistorious's defence.

The show as a whole is pretty bad. I don't know why I'm sticking with it to be honest.

completely agree its just lost All pace most of these series get a filler episode but this feels like the 3rd one now. The story itself isn't being moved forward and I just don't believe the relationship going on. its almost certain one of these series everything comes out in the Finale
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last episode was the "pace reset episode". The story was at a point were things should have been revealing themselves, but they realised they still had half their episodes left, and went back to a sort of status quo, where they can drip feed info on episodes until the finale.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    its almost certain one of these series everything comes out in the Finale

I'm tempted to just skip every episode left apart from the finale. The intro and recap will most likely provide all the relevant information I would have missed from the preceding filler...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to just skip every episode left apart from the finale. The intro and recap will most likely provide all the relevant information I would have missed from the preceding filler...

Yes I suspect that will be what happens, I did that with 'The 100' and don't feel I missed anything out.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a feeling I did something similar with Terrible Nova... skipped the middle episodes, and came back for the last couple without feeling like I missed anything.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suddenly realised, half-way through the previous episode, that I simply didn't care any more. So yes - I will come back for the last episode. If anything interesting happens in the meantime I'm sure it will be discussed here (that is, if anyone else is still watching).

This show does seem to fall into the category of series that were sold to the channels purely on the basis of "We've got this great idea for a show ... An astronaut gets knocked up while alone in space and she has a robot son and there's this big conspiracy - thing"
    "Great" says the money man, "We'll take a 10-parter, here's some cash, now off you go and come back when it's done".
    And at that point the creators realise that all they have is the idea - but no clue about how to develop it, or keep it interesting once the basic proposition has been presented to the audience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    The scene with the husband's female assistant was strange -
    is she also an android or does she just has some futuristic legs fitted!
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anjali100 wrote: »
    What puzzled me was why she had to take them off to shower?

Perhaps it's a precaution in case the water causes a short-circuit & she starts to do a "Ministry of Silly Walks" routine? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    What puzzled me was why she had to take them off to shower?

Perhaps it's a precaution in case the water causes a short-circuit & she starts to do a "Ministry of Silly Walks" routine? :D

Or, more likely, it gave the producers an opportunity to have a floating shower scene which didn't add anything to the story but was a cool technology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the last episode was OK. I've only just watched it as I had to force myself to watch it. :)

I feel it moved the story along enough to make some movement forward.

Don't feel there was a need to wait till the end for the boy to wake up, just to tell us he didn't know anything (even if he is pretending not to remember).

They could have given that to us half way through and then had the reveal about the spores near the end.

Now we seem to have 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' with the spores from space, and 'Species' with the alien baby.

So they are really going for it with the movie scripts.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    anjali100 wrote: »

There is already work in chips that can communicate with the bodies own nervous system to artificial limbs so it is not beyond the bounds that this was the case here, and they were removed to avoid water getting into the complex electronics rather than just to connections between her biological and mechanical parts

That said
    It would make an interesting point if she was an android given the research into humanics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That said
    It would make an interesting point if she was an android given the research into humanics.

I doubt if that would be the case unless it was a double bluff.
    Why make and android think it was human and then give it artificial legs