How to recover file from deleted recycle bin, help!

tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi.

Does anyone know of free software that will recover permanently deleted files from my Windows 7 's recycle bin.

Any help will be much appreciated, really desperate to recover the photographs. They were deleted yesterday, Tuesday 9th September.

Thank you.

Comments

• Fruit_FlyFruit_Fly Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before you do anything else, STOP USING THE PC/LAPTOP.

Everything you do adds to the chances the files will be overwritten, as the machine thinks the space the pics took up is now free.
    I usually crash out instead of closing down - because closing the pc down writes files to the hard drive.

Then using another pc, download a file recovery programme to a memory stick or SD card. When you reboot your pc, recover the files with the recovery programme run from the stick and save the pics to the stick too.

Good luck!!

Edit: Recuva's good, so's File Scavenger
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time you use this PC you increase the risk of overwriting the deleted files making their recovery impossible. Therefore stop using it but leave Windows running. On another PC use the instructions here

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features/portable-version

to create the portable version of Recuva on a USB stick. Once done plug the stick into the affected computer and run Recuva from the USB stick. Run a quick scan at first and if that doesn't locate the files try a deep scan.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr Thank you so very much.

All my photos are back using your advice.

I am very much in your debt.

Thnak you!!!!!

Elizabeth.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    chrisjr Thank you so very much.

All my photos are back using your advice.

I am very much in your debt.

Thnak you!!!!!

Elizabeth.

Now go out and buy an external hard drive and set up some back-up software to regularly make back-ups of your important data. Even Windows built in back-up utility will do.

That way you always have at least one spare copy of everything kept safe in case something like this happens again..

Because one thing you can guarantee in life with computers is that they, or their users, will screw up. Not a case of IF but WHEN. So best to be on the safe side and prepare for the inevitable disaster before it happens. :)
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I save my stuff (mostly pictures) on to an external hard drive, I also save them to Photobucket and Mediafire- I have got into the habit of doing that as soon I remove them from the memory card - sounds a bit obsessive but pictures hold great memories and I would hate to loose them forever
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    I save my stuff (mostly pictures) on to an external hard drive, I also save them to Photobucket and Mediafire- I have got into the habit of doing that as soon I remove them from the memory card - sounds a bit obsessive but pictures hold great memories and I would hate to loose them forever

The best backup strat is to ensure you have as many copies as possible seperated from each other so perhaps one copy at work/parents and another at a friends house along with online backups as who knows if there's an area wide problem when you suddenly need to restore some files

keep a copy at home but don't rely on it as your only copy fire/theft/kids deciding to use it to play lets hammer something etc

do consider the jusidiction of where the data is stored as an American site will have to obey American laws and also any data that crosses national borders may be slurped up by that nations spooks but thats not really of much interest to some pictures of your family or a instagram history of your food intake
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    The best backup strategy is to you a cloud back up solution that automatically backs up all your important files to their servers without you doing anything. I use Carbonite, but there are plenty of alternatives.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    The best backup strategy is to you a cloud back up solution that automatically backs up all your important files to their servers without you doing anything. I use Carbonite, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Just don't store any nude selfies or other stuff on there unless you fancy them being shown on 4chan/reddit ;)
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi.

I do back up regular on an external drive. In anger, I deleted images of ex who's not an ex anymore, so needed them back, don't laugh...:p

Everything in the garden's rosy.

Won't do it again :kitty:

Elizabeth.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,894
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Personally, I'd say the complete opposite. Absolutely do not use cloud services. Their security is notorious for being a joke - sure the backup process itself might be convenient - but even before the recent icloud hacking problems, general cloud-related security concerns have been raised regularly.

Multiple offline backups that you can physically see and touch is always the best way to go. I'd rather keep a physical copy on an encrypted drive in a secret location than entrust it to some coorporation on their dodgy servers.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd say the complete opposite. Absolutely do not use cloud services. Their security is notorious for being a joke - sure the backup process itself might be convenient - but even before the recent icloud hacking problems, general cloud-related security concerns have been raised regularly.

Multiple offline backups that you can physically see and touch is always the best way to go. I'd rather keep a physical copy on an encrypted drive in a secret location than entrust it to some coorporation on their dodgy servers.

Well that's apple for you. I have never heard of any of the dedicated cloud storage companies being hacked. I don't store anything sensitive on there anyway, its mainly for family photos that i want to ensure are safe.

I do agree that the big plus is the ease of use. Once its setup you literally have to do nothing and all your files are safe whatever happens.