George plans Idiot Abroad type travel show

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
Forum Member
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/400166/Gogglebox-George-Gilbey-travel-career-Celebrity-Big-Brother

He is "in talks to appear in a fly on-the-wall series in which he will jet all over the world to meet different people, sample strange food and try odd customs."

Seems he wants to be the new Karl Pilkington.

Comments

• planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i am happy with the old karl pilkington....
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how original .
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Hasn't Jon Richardson got unfunny Idiot Abroad copies covered with his latest vehicle?
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much like the James and Dee show rumours..I doubt this will come to anything....but I'd say it seems a more likely concept to get off the ground/an easier sell.

He would have one massive plus point over Karl in entertainment terms...

...George would probably actually do all the things he was asked to do....

...rather than spending 3/4's of the show moaning about the things they want him to do..and then not doing it at all.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Where would you send the new Karl Pilkington if you were in the Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant role An Idiot Abroad?
    Forum Member
    Where would you send the new Karl Pilkington if you were in the Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant role An Idiot Abroad?

George is not fit to lick Karl's trainers.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Karl Pilkington "idiot" abroad thing has had it's day, but if it's done more in a less serious, but naive, cheeky chappy version of Michael Palin, then that could work as he's such a natural on screen! I had a feeling George would do well after CBB and am genuinely thrilled for him getting some TV opportunities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

San Diego Comic Con might make for an interesting segment. Maybe the greatest theme parks/weirdest holiday resorts in the world? The natural world stuff has sort have been done to death. Maybe the worlds greatest pubs.:D

If he can't get this off the ground....then George might be better off considering taking the Craig Phillips route and exploiting his trade skills for the media.
    Forum Member
    I think the Karl Pilkington "idiot" abroad thing has had it's day, but if it's done more in a less serious, but naive, cheeky chappy version of Michael Palin, then that could work as he's such a natural on screen! I had a feeling George would do well after CBB and am genuinely thrilled for him getting some TV opportunities.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jPaFMIWelaM/UH2icGa5DjI/AAAAAAAAFAQ/PdVxMmRRoQg/s1600/113685686_iDontWantToLiveOnThisPlanetAnymoreLandscape_answer_2_xlarge.png
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »
    San Diego Comic Con might make for an interesting segment. Maybe the greatest theme parks/weirdest holiday resorts in the world? The natural world stuff has sort have been done to death. Maybe the worlds greatest pubs.:D

If he can't get this off the ground....then George might be better off considering taking the Craig Phillips route and exploiting his trade skills for the media.

Or he could just, you know, go back to whatever he did before GoggleBox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or he could just, you know, go back to whatever he did before GoggleBox.

Well he had a job during and before Gogglebox ..and has one now(as an electrician)..

Gogglebox only paid £15 a day (per family) so it wasn't really a job.

Pretty fortunate position to be in if he can keep keep his day job going and exploit any "celebrity" opportunities coming his way.
  • annwannw Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on him. At least he hasn t joined in all the stupid name calling.
  • yogacatsyogacats Posts: 6,954
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/400166/Gogglebox-George-Gilbey-travel-career-Celebrity-Big-Brother

He is "in talks to appear in a fly on-the-wall series in which he will jet all over the world to meet different people, sample strange food and try odd customs."

Seems he wants to be the new Karl Pilkington.

Without the talent!!!!!
  • Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about to the Moon - one way.

An alien might think twice then before invading Earth if they think we are all like George.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats_Eyes wrote: »
    How about to the Moon - one way.

An alien might think twice then before invading Earth if they think we are all like George.

Or they might think our species needs doing away with sharpish if they're all like him :o
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't we already had Mark Wright and Joey Essex do something like this and it Flopped ,so can't see why they'd think a version with George would work (if true)
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cah wrote: »
    Haven't we already had Mark Wright and Joey Essex do something like this and it Flopped ,so can't see why they'd think a version with George would work (if true)

Ah well, they could combine it with Steven, Ash and Winston's road trip across America - what a winning formula that would be ;-)
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, they could combine it with Steven, Ash and Winston's road trip across America - what a winning formula that would be ;-)

Bloody hell DM don't go giving them any ideas ,you know just how the Media bods like reading this Board >:( ;-) :o:D
  • Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or they might think our species needs doing away with sharpish if they're all like him :o

Never thought of that - you are worrying me now !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've heard North Korea is quite nice at this time of year :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    According to the article, he said "Put me in any adverse situation and I attract madness.”
    I'd send him to war zone or a refugee camp to find out what an adverse situation really is.
  • chipbuttymanchipbuttyman Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a great idea send him abroad to do his thing just don't bother with the cameras and stuff.
    One way ticket too please.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There we go again.....Another housemate "In talks".
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    George plans Idiot Abroad type travel show

Great casting......LOL
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    There we go again.....Another housemate "In talks".

in his case it probably means "mum, i'm thinkng of going on holiday" "oh that's nice where?" etc.....