Options

Is Chris Gascoigne (Peter Barlow) Leaving for Good?

PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
Forum Member
Is Chris (Peter Barlow) leaving for good or is it just an extended break?

Comments

• Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it isn't for good - think Chris is an amazing actor!
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He had said it would be another break. However, Michelle Keegan had understood that "the door would be left open" for her return, as promised by Stuart Blackburn, but he changed his mind.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    He had said it would be another break. However, Michelle Keegan had understood that "the door would be left open" for her return, as promised by Stuart Blackburn, but he changed his mind.

Well he needs it, seems bored silly onscreen right now.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard he is taking a break, as he is eager to some theatre work. He does find playing Peter takes a toll on his metality at times and finds he can never let go off him when he goes home.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he needs it, seems bored silly onscreen right now.

True.
    I heard he is taking a break, as he is eager to some theatre work. He does find playing Peter takes a toll on his metality at times and finds he can never let go off him when he goes home.

Which is what he said the previous time.
  • Options
    Redhead69Redhead69 Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being an actor must be like leading a double life and must be hard to switch off, but they earn good money and have the benefits that go with that. I think some of these soap actors should remember that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redhead69 wrote: »
    Being an actor must be like leading a double life and must be hard to switch off, but they earn good money and have the benefits that go with that. I think some of these soap actors should remember that.

Its the same as any job, I think. Yes they do earn a lot of money, but they work upwards of 12 hour days at times, especially when their character has a lot of storylines, as Peter does. I don't begrudge the chap a break from it in all honesty.
  • Options
    boxer1988boxer1988 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people think he will be back after a few years but I don't. It will probably be a lot longer than that now. Peter has always been a flawed character but they've turned him into a joke and after this storyline, there's nowhere for him to go, unless he carries on going round in circles.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll be back when he realises there's nothing else better for him out there. Which will be soon
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a break as in a return is already in the pipeline, a 'break' as in he's officially out until he decides to go back, which could be years away.

So yes, in that sense he is going 'for good' but Chris and Coronation Street themselves have no plans to say goodbye to Peter forever.
  • Options
    alxnealxne Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Hope not but I wish he'd take Simon with him
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I hope he dosen't leave forever.
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxer1988 wrote: »
    A lot of people think he will be back after a few years but I don't. It will probably be a lot longer than that now. Peter has always been a flawed character but they've turned him into a joke and after this storyline, there's nowhere for him to go, unless he carries on going round in circles.

I been thinking the same as you also. I believe the actor is well and truly scundered with being Peter and has not exactly been in his element lately married to Carla.
    He'll never come back until the rest of the street move on and evolve and he can return as a changed man with another story of his own to tell.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Who knows, he only left for a year back in 2007 so could be back as early as late next year?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Who knows, he only left for a year back in 2007 so could be back as early as late next year?!

Yes but at that stage he hadn't made any negative comments about his character, such as 'I hate Peter Barlow' quote.
    Also he did mention that he wanted to try other things like stage acting, I think he is totally bored with his lot on Corrie personally so I can't see him being back anytime soon. If he ends up enjoying performing in plays as much as the woman who was Janice Battersby I don't know if he'll return at all, or at least not for a very, very long time indeed.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sad to see him go but can understand it's probably exhausting and repetitive playing Peter Barlow like he has and needs a break, for some actors it isn't a problem, others like a challenge, he must feel his in a position financially or otherwise he can take the risk, I just hope they don't get it in their heads to kill him off.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    He also left for 4 years betwee 2003 - 2007 so he might be gone for that amount off time again :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought he would end up back with Leanne, for some reason.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I hope he has more screentime with Leanne before he goes, as I think she has been just as important to his development this era as Carla has.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxer1988 wrote: »

Disagree entirely...
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought he would end up back with Leanne, for some reason.

I wish
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is really, if your an actor who does get mentally into the characters head.
    It's ok for some soap actors. They show up, deliver the lines and get a pay cheque. Especially those characters who don't really do much like Emily or Norris.

But the likes of Chris who clearly take acting seriously and has delved into the mind of Peter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone possibly want to delve into the mind of Peter Barlow unless they were sick or deranged?

Oh right:blush:
  • Options
    CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but thats only if you're a working actor. 92% of the acting population are out of work. I think you should remember that.
  • Options
    boxer1988boxer1988 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll be back when he realises there's nothing else better for him out there. Which will be soon

I bet he'll go back to the theatre and then move on to TV dramas. He is a brilliant actor. It will probably be good for him to spend some time with his family and try other projects.